Help Opinions needed NF 5.5-22 or 8-32

B23

I have a 338 Lapua AI that is nearing completion and I am trying to decide if I want to go with another NF 5.5-22x56 or 8-32x56

This will be my long range hungting rig. Extra power is always nice, especially at distance but will the 8-32 cut my field of view to much. Never spent any time behind anything more than a 5.5-22 that I have on another rifle.

I would really appreciate opinions from those who have spent some time behind both. Which did you prefer and why? For those that have the 8-32 would you go with that power range again in a hunting rifle or not????

I look forward to reading any and all opinions.

Just to be clear- If you do not plan to shoot beyond 1100-1200 yards then 22X is fine. Beyond about 1300 yards the greater magnification makes me more "comfortable". Others may be comfortable with less but I personally like the large image. I have watched elk all the way out to 2500 yards with it and am happy with the resolution. I will say that at 32 X, eye position becomes very crucial. It is very beneficial to have an adjustable cheek piece so you get really consistent head placement.

It's being built around and A5 w/thumbwheel adj cheek piece. I'm kinda on the fence on this. Field of view is probably my biggest concern and maybe after using the 8-32 for awhile that would become a non issue. Thoughts???

I have not had both, but I have heard conversation indicating that the 8-32 does not have nearly as much elevation adjustment. Just something you might consider.

B23, I am in the middle of the same delema. That is why I started the other thread. I have a 338 Lapua in an A-5 and have always had a 5.5x22 on it. I just removed it and I am ordering a Near base on monday. So in the not to distant future I will be able to tell you how it works for me.

Right now I can tell you this. My big concern is not enough Elevation in the 8x32 (65 moa) compared to the 5.5x22 having 100. Shooting 300 smk's I have shot to 2100 yards and needed 82 or so moa. I always set the base up so I am right on bottom of the elevation turret. I think with the 8x32 I will use a 35 moa. In a perfect world this will give me a 200 to 300 yard zero when all the way down and then I will have the full 65 moa up. That will get me out past a mile.

The other concern is heat waves and mirage. If I have to crank the 8x32 down at times from too much mirrage I just as well stay with the 5.5x22.

With two yaers of hunting with my Lapua and a 5.5x22 I have taken an Elk at 1130 yards, a WT deer at 1137 and a few antelope from 700 to 900 yards. Even a yote at 880. So this might give you an idea of what you can do with the 5.5 x 22.

I probably should not have even messed with it ..:rolleyes: But heck thats no fun:)

I have a 5.5x22 stashed, so worst case I will just go back.

Hope this helps or if anyone is using a 8x32 NXS I would sure like to hear from you too.

Jeff

B23, question: how often do you find yourself on a power setting of less than 8x? If rare then I'd go 8-32...nothing lost and you have the extra power if and when conditions allow it.

B23, question: how often do you find yourself on a power setting of less than 8x? If rare then I'd go 8-32...nothing lost and you have the extra power if and when conditions allow it.

Good point but there is something lost. 35 moa of elevation.

Jeff

Broz, I'm aware of loss of moa but, didn't include it in my post as hopefully B23 is aware and realizes moa issue is pretty black and white and can either accept it or not or find a work around. I'm addressing his other concern.

Last edited:
All very good information and I thank you all for adding your 2cents. Though the extra power could or would be nice I think I'm going to stick with my first thought and go 5.5-22x56. If I find at a later date that I am wanting more power I can always sell it and get a 8-32.

Again, thank you all for responding.

Chas1, Good point, on a rifle like this, it is seldom we go below 8x. I am having a hard time with my choice due to the moa issue, so I guess that is on my mind.

Jeff

Last edited:
Got my 8-32x56 mounted up and took it to the range today. Thought I would report in with my findings.

I had no issues at all with eye relief of getting a good full view through the scope. I started at 100 yards , then 300 then 1000. All good.

It was 9 degrees when I got to the range at 9:00 am and sun was out bright. I messed around with two rifles and soon it was 11:30 and had warmed to near 30. I was shooting to 1000 by then and mirage or heat waves was not an issue. I should add I did all the shooting on 32x.

I used a 30 moa NEAR MFG base and I came out right where it should. zeroed at 300 I am 9.25 moa off bottom and that leaves me 55 moa of elevation. Looks like Nightforce is on the money too with their advertised 65 moa.

I like it very well so far. My target at 1008 yards has a 2 1/2" orange dot and I was able to cut it into 4 even pieces while shooting a group.

My hopes were that the added magnification would alow me to place bullet more precisely a long distances on both targets and game. I think it is going to help as I shot my best 1000 yard group to date today.

I think the 8-32 is worth looking at if you shoot past 1000 yards very often.

Jeff gun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.