help on new gun opinions please 300 win mag weatherby or savage

cholland

Using for long range hunting in 300 win mag. I know different price classes but Im between a weatherby mark v accumark rc and a savage 116 w accutrigger and accustock. I do reload but if good factory ammo would work that would be great. I have heard people spending good money on weatherby for them not to shoot and savage seems like they are all shooters, but when handling both guns the weatherby definitely feels higher quality . Would even consdier christensen arms although reviews are pretty mixed on accuracy for what they cost. Just seems hard to beat savages accuruacy from what Im seeing, Anyone have any input on this would be great. DOnt mind spending some moeny but would like to get what i pay for maybe tops at 2500 for rifle.

I have had 2 friends with thesame dilema...one went with savage the other one with westherby.....the one that got the savage also ended up getting a westherby....and altough the didnt shoot amazing out of the box with factory ammo...they spent some time fine tunning a good load for it....and now they are at the top of the echelon...very very accurate and very good quality....

Cho, one of my hunting pals has a Savage Long Range Hunter in 300WM which is very accurate with hand loads. He shoots the 215 Bergers. They are about a grand less than the Mark V Wby which could be used for a nice scope. I personally like the Wby Mark V but I'm biased. Good luck with your choice

I've never heard of an Accumark that was not a great shooter right out of the box. I just can't bring myself to buy a Savage but a lot of guys like them very well.

I prefer the Winchester Model 70 myself but I'd not hesitate to buy an Accumark.

Being the owner of remington, savage, weatherby, and winchester rifles, as many of us can attest to, a factory rifle is a factory rifle. What I am trying to tell you is no matter who the company is, with an out of the box factory gun, you run the chance of it shooting well or not shooting well. I worked in a gun store for some time and I can tell you for a fact that I have had rifles of every make and model returned for factory issues, and/or brought back for stock, trigger, or load workup. AND as it may anger some people ( I apologize ahead of time), if you want the weapon to be a tack driver, you may run into one or more of these issues I've mentioned above. It all really depends on what the owner defines as acceptable accuracy and performance.

I've come to the point that if there is some new stick I want, I take an action, buy a barrel in the length I want, and purchase the custom stock I have in mind. I take all the parts to the smith and have him put it together for me. You can truly be at that $2500 mark and have a real shooter without having to worry about opening the box to a factory gun and wondering what you may or may not have spent your hard earned money on. With that said, take you project to a competent smith or you will have nothing but issues. There's plenty of competent folks on this site that will not steer you wrong.

Best of Luck,
Erik

I've never heard of an Accumark that was not a great shooter right out of the box. I just can't bring myself to buy a Savage but a lot of guys like them very well.

I prefer the Winchester Model 70 myself but I'd not hesitate to buy an Accumark.

I had an AccuMark that was garbage right out of the box...Had a bad barrel from the factory. I also don't think they're worth the price tag. You can build a ****-nice custom rifle for what they retail for.

Being the owner of remington, savage, weatherby, and winchester rifles, as many of us can attest to, a factory rifle is a factory rifle. What I am trying to tell you is no matter who the company is, with an out of the box factory gun, you run the chance of it shooting well or not shooting well. I worked in a gun store for some time and I can tell you for a fact that I have had rifles of every make and model returned for factory issues, and/or brought back for stock, trigger, or load workup. AND as it may anger some people ( I apologize ahead of time), if you want the weapon to be a tack driver, you may run into one or more of these issues I've mentioned above. It all really depends on what the owner defines as acceptable accuracy and performance.

I've come to the point that if there is some new stick I want, I take an action, buy a barrel in the length I want, and purchase the custom stock I have in mind. I take all the parts to the smith and have him put it together for me. You can truly be at that $2500 mark and have a real shooter without having to worry about opening the box to a factory gun and wondering what you may or may not have spent your hard earned money on. With that said, take you project to a competent smith or you will have nothing but issues. There's plenty of competent folks on this site that will not steer you wrong.

Best of Luck,
Erik

These are my thoughts as well.

Although I rarely buy factory rifles any more, if it were me buying a factory hunting rifle it would be a Savage 116.

With that said, a buddy of mine bought two identical 116's chambered in 300wsm, and with factory Barnes Vor-TX ammo, one of them shoots 3/4 MOA, the other one shoots about 2 MOA.

I'm in agreement with 600BP Winner Winner Chicken Dinner,study the gunsmiths here on this forum ,hint look at the gun photo section! Good luck jjmp

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.