Help on muzzle brakes

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
I am looking for info on what types of brakes there are out there. I am looking for what some have called an anti-torque brake, or something that removes muzzle jump to the point of being able to see the bullet impact through the scope fired from a 14.5# 308. I am not very familiar with very many brakes other than the traditional type. Are there any that will do what was described above?? If so where might I find them? Thanx

Here ya go.
What little bit of recoil there is will come staight back and you will see bullet hits out of a 308.
This is an Answer Products Sniper brake on an LRP-1A3 it weighs 15 lbs.

Yes it is a removable brake. It screws off and on with a 5/8 x 28 TPI thread.
Celt

14915233-21c1-02660121-.jpg

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: Celt ]

Howdy Michael

I have designed and begun the patent process on an Anti-Torque Brake. This design not only reduces torque, it is better at recoil reduction than anything of comparable size. This design uses the principles of inertia and supersonic flow to a much greater degree than any other current design. Len Backus has shot a Wolf with one installed, and Stl_Shooter owns one, so you can get a second and third opinion about this design's performance.

Think of recoil reduction double of what a Vias design will provide, along with ten times the torque reduction. It enhances the accuracy of large calibers, not just from a barrel harmonics standpoint, but from the HUMAN side of the system. It makes these large guns a pleasure to shoot all day long. I see bullets print holes at 300 yards and strikes on steel with the Wolf at 200 yards while shooting off a bipod on a concrete competition bench.
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>removes muzzle jump to the point of being able to see the bullet impact through the scope fired from a 14.5# 308 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Using STL's 17.5 pound 30 Wolf, I was able to see the bullet impact at 550 yards on a steel ram shooting with a bipod off a concrete bench.

The Wolf was shooting about 102 grains of powder with a 210 grain bullet. MV was about 3,200 FPS.

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

What's availability and pricing like on this brake? I'd love one for my 700 PSS in 300RUM. Already have a Gentry quiet brake, which works pretty well for felt recoil reduction, but the **** rifle jumps so badly I couldn't possibly spot a shot.

without fitting, shipping rifle in USA is nothing than a nightmare even take a rifle in Luggage for shooting in USA is a nigtmare

Anybody know that shooters / hunters are dangerous potential terrorist for the Custom

so I prefer purchase one and fit it in France and save Custom problem and save $$$$$$ of shipping cost and one year of Custom paper delivery time

good shooting

DAN TEC

Michael,
The brake that I have on my 7mm mag allows me to hold the cross hairs on the "bull" @ 100 yrds. This brake is designed like no other brake, it as "slots" in stead of "holes". Three slots opposite each other.

This brake was installed on a 18" barrel of a 300 Win. mag and a lady weighting only 120 lbs and 5'4" in height shot this rifle 6 times. She never hardly felt the recoil.

The sound was checked using a "decible" meter
and the noise only increased 4 decibles over not having the brake installed.

I can shoot my 700 from bench with one hand, using 160 gr full house loads and it still stays put. It won't hurt your ears either.

Now the bad part, the gunsmith that made these quite making them, I guess he sold the patent on it a few years ago. But the next time I see him, I am going to see if he has anymore left, for I need one on my 300 mag.

After spending a month or so with my 30 Wolf, and after comparisons with the brake on and off with both 178 grainers at 3450 fps and 220 MKs at 3250, I have the following report...

Since I don't have precision tools to measure recoil and torque reduction, I can only say how it feels on my shoulder and how the sight picture looks after a shot is broken. In short, the thing works and works well.

Recoil is very significantly reduced, as is the torque. It's so comfortable to shoot - it's almost too easy to handle. With the brake on, I am consistently and comfortably able to pick up hits, for instance, on steel targets at 200 yards with no problem . Without the brake, the rifle bucks hard and is uncomfortable to fire.

Plus, the machine work on the brake is just perfect...

Coyotehunter,

Sounds like you have the same Holland brake my brother does on his 338/378wby. Three slots in the side and tapers up in dia to about 1" and then extends a couple more inches farther to the muzzle end.

I can say it works amazingly well. His girlfriend shot it (18 and tiny too) 9 times at LR without a complaint at all. First time shooting a big rifle too. She hit everything out to 600yds and was within a foot at 900 yards too! Those breaks are very efficiant that's for sure. Take it off and it's another story.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.