Help on loading 30/338 Lapua 35degree Improved

G

I recently received my new rifle in 30/338 Lapua 35 degree Improved ( 300 Wambo Mag )
Case capacity is approx. 116grs of water.
What I want to know is since this is real close to the capacity of my 300 RUM do you think it will be ok to use the RUM data. The RUM is about 2-3 grs less so I was thinking that it would be safe to use. Also, does any one have a good load to try with the 240 SMK?
Thank you in advance for your replies,
Wayne

The data does not work well from the 300 UM.
The powder columns are different shapes.

For the 240 MK, start at 92 grains of H50-BMG and work up. 86 grains of Retumbo would also be a good starting point for the 240 MK.

H-Bar,
I used a 1-10" twist. The reason I picked this twist is because everybody who uses the 240 SMK on this forum said it would work.
I just went out today and shot some 3 shot groups at 300yds to continue to break in the barrel. With fireformed brass and 88grs of Retumbo I shot a .950" group at 2964fps,
80 grs of RL25 did .785" at 2875fps and 95grs of WC872 was 1.050" at 2903fps.
Looks promising, will give more results as it comes in. Thanks to everybody who helped with advice and technical info.
Wayne

[ 07-04-2003: Message edited by: Wayne McD ]

Wayne,

Sounds like you didn't waste any time getting that new rifle to shoot? Are you taking it to the next competition? When is it?

I should have my brake back and be shooting again sometime next week. If I can, I'd like to make it up there. Just promise not to laugh!

Tim,
The next match is Saturday the 12th. It would be real nice to have ya make it with your Tomahawk, hopefully you can make it. I'm not taking the new rifle to this one, I want to get at least 100rds thru it first. As of yesterday I've shot 38rds thru it, tomorrow morning possibly another 12 or so. I've been shooting a fouling shot then a 3 shot group and clean, the first 10 was shoot and clean after every shot, took me 3 days to shoot the first 10. The barrel is still fouling more then I would like it too but I've never shot a long bullet like the 240 at almost 3000fps so I don't know if this is normal or not.
Take care, good to hear from you.
Wayne

Im considering building a 300 lapua improved. Im told that I should be able to send 210 smks downrange at 3400 fps plus. I know a guy that says he is sending them at 3460 fps, and keeping them in 1/2 moa at a 1000. Is this believable? I have not seen it with my own eyes. You are aproaching 3000 with the 240s, how far off of max would guess you are? I would love to here more results when you get them.

I don't know why I'm listed as a guest in the original posting of this thread but I am the one who posted about the 30/338 LM Imp.
I'm getting 3250 fps with a 210 JLK using 93grs of Retumbo out of a 31" Lilja 3 groove barrel, this is a max load in my rifle.
I'm using a Sako M995 action from a factory TRG-S hunting rifle that was originally chambered in
338 LM.
Maybe in stouter custom action I could go higher but 3460 fps seems awful fast to me, maybe Kirby will chime in as he has a 30 cal cartridge that is a much improved version of the Lapua case.
As far as .5 moa at 1000yds that is very believable, been there, done that.

Wayne aka WAMBO

I shoot 86 grains of H-1000 at 3050 with a 240 smk and a 30 inch barrel. This is a max load in my gun. I also shoot a custom action (bat).

I think its possible to get 3300 fps with the 210 berger out of a 27 inch barrel but not 3460. Its just not going to be possible in every rifle build. I shoot 88grns of H-1000 at 3308 fps.

jessej

Those velocities are very obtainable in the barrel lengths you mention.

By the load data Wambo and TH are posting, I'm guessing those case designs kept the shoulder angle/body taper about the same as the SAAMI case.

The Improved designs, like Kirby's and the 30-338 Lapua that JE Custom built me, add quite a bit of capacity, about another 10-12 grains, and the load data reflects it.

103 grains of Retumbo is where I settled on out of 26" barrel at 3280 fps with a 210 VLD. It's seen well over 3400 fps with no pressure signs, but found a great big accuracy node at this velocity level, and it had all the performance I needed, so that's where it's at for now.

Really need to look at the reamer print to determine case volume, the bullet the chamber was throated for, and obviously barrel length (which you already are) to make an apples to apples comparison.

Thanks for the info, think im going with a 27" barrel. My wants are to have a easily carried rifle with velocities fast enough to shoot 0-300 yrds with no compensation, and acurate enough to dependably hit vitals on whitetail, muleys and antelope at 1000 yrds with enough energy to produce one shot kills. Thinking of topping it with a 5-22 nightforce. Currently using a 6.5-20 mark4 leupold. In your opinion, is the nightforce a better scope?

Jesse

Good that you have outlined your goals upfront, and quantified them.

Another route to think about is the 300 Win. I almost did what Jeff did at the thread below. This is a fantastic blueprint for 1000 yd deer/antelope carry rifle.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/my-new-300-win-build-55269/

That platform will have much more barrel life, less recoil, and will bypass the cost/headaches of fireforming, custom dies, or purchasing your own reamer. RWS and Lapua brass can be found for the 300 Win, and a 100 pieces of that would last you at least a barrel, maybe two. Off the shelf Redding Competition seater dies, and plenty of 300 Win reamers around so you could find one that matched your bullet/working mag length without too much looking.

Of course the 30-338 Lapua offers about the top level performance you can get in a thirty as well.....

I shoot both the NXS 5.5x22 and the Mark 4 your shooting...and I will be in the minority here....and for a LRH hunting application you're speaking of they are equals IMO. If you added another 200 to 400 yds to your range, then I might give a edge to the NF. They both have box tested on different rifles for me. They both offer the necessary clarity for LR engagments. They both have great warranties. The Mark 4 can save you 1/2 lb. The NF does have a more positive turret and better reticle choices. I'd decide if 1/2 lb is worth it to you. They both have proven very reliable to me. I've taken the horse ejection express with a Mark 4, and the subsequent 50' down the mountain roll with a Mark 4. The tumble cracked a factory sendero stock, but the scope/rifle POI didn't shift. The NF has passed multiple box tests for me though...and the positive turret the NF have can't be beat.

In summary...They're both great scopes. My advice would be to decide if you'd rather have the 1/2 lb in your optic, or bump up one contour on your barrel and have the 1/2 lb in your barrel. If you needed to shoot past 1200 to 1400 yds, then you're talking a heavier rifle overall, and likely need more MOA...the NF would get the edge from me.

Just my opinion. All subsequent responders....please be nice!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.