Help!! needto know what action and other parts!

Slaysesh

What action should i use!?!? is the 700 the most economical? sako? or custom? i want to keep the total build under 2000 if possible kinda a sporter long range hunter in 6.5x284

I'll paste this post of mine from another thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/noob-question-rifle-quality-111171/index2.html#post784116

It's possible to stumble across a good shooter and Savages, Howas and Vanguards usually produce very accurate rifles for an off the shelf product. Senderos usually shoot very well but they have a hefty price tag too. That said, buying a factory production rifle is a roll of the dice. Case in point. I bought a high dollar Sako M85 Finnlight that was supposed to have a 5 shot Sub MOA guarantee. It didn't shoot anywhere close to that. It was a very inconsistant 1.5 - 3 MOA shooter and 3 MOA @ 300 yds = 9". I sent it back to Beretta twice and twice they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. Good luck getting any of the large gun makers to stand behind their product. Not gonna happen, not for accuracy. I was actually looking at Cooper the same time I bought the Sako. Should have bought the Copper. I would have been a very happy man.

I have a couple of build projects now using Vanguard action doners. Here's what they're costing me.

Doner rifle cost, $200 & $300 @ gun shows
Action blue print, $325 ea
Broughton Barrels, $350 ea
Chamber and crown, $275 ea
B&C Medalist full aluminum bedded stock, $270, Manners stock $470
Bedding job $100 ea

They will cost $1520 & and $1920 for the basic rifle.
I was able to tune both triggers to a crisp 1.5 lbs. I'll be putting Timney 3 position triggers on them only because I want the 3 position feature. I cannot tell the difference between the ones I tuned and a Timney. One of them will also get a brake installed for $200. These rifles should shoot as well any custom and the both of them will cost about the same as full custom build.

Here is another very good read on actions...

Which Factory Rifle Action is "Best"? - Page 3

Here is why I will never buy another Sako...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/no-recoil-lug-what-say-ye-49659/

Hope that helps

Mark,

Then without a doubt, you'll have yourself a shooter. Dave is awesome to work with and stand out guy. :)

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I have heard nothing but good about Dave's work and really looking forward to ringing it out! BTW, I spent 6 yrs @ Malmstrom, 88-94, In the Tanker Wing.

Thanks Ed,

I have heard nothing but good about Dave's work and really looking forward to ringing it out! BTW, I spent 6 yrs @ Malmstrom, 88-94, In the Tanker Wing.

You won't be disappointed!

I've been at Malmstrom since 2003. Retired from AD in 2007 but still work as civil service. Wish we still have tankers here!

Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.