Help Needed - Understanding Mils

You zero a mil scope the same way you zero a minute scope. The difference in in the increments of adjustment, they both are an angular measurement.
Just make sure that your reticle and turrets match. My uncle got a "good deal" on a scope that had a mil reticle but SMOA knobs. I helped him print a range card that he taped to his rifle.

Personally I like mils, especially after I started using them more... it's dime's and pennies.

No matter whether you have MOA scope adjustments or MIL scope adjustments, they key to happiness is not thinking about anything other than your MOA or your MIL. No inches, no centimeters, no cubits, no paces, no chains, no roman miles, no pyramid inches or any other form of linear measure. I had the hardest time getting one of my friends to stop asking "so what is that in inches?" Two rolls of duct tape later, he just turned the dial however many minutes I told him and then hit the target. As long as your scope's turrets and reticle use the same unit (this was a problem with early mildot reticles in scopes that still used MOA turrets) zeroing is simply bore-sight, shoot, measure from impact to point of aim with reticle, dial whatever the difference is , shoot again, done! Set dials to zero reference, adjust zero-stop if equipped, enjoy the rest of your day.
"Duct tape" sent 3 MIL's of coffee through my nasal barrels!🤣

So think of it this way, 4 clicks of MOA = 3 clicks of MIL more or less, not exact but it's not that complicated.

Everything has been stated as far as the definition, and what MILs mean. What really helped me was not thinking in inches at all. Just think mils.
Yes its a retain the brain thing &
BUT you do need to jog your mind when you have used MOA all you shooting life & then get a MILS scope & swap between the 2.

I am lucky, I grew up in the the metric system so thats easy for me, but there are still so many things in life & shooting that are in inches so you have to understand both anyway.
It would be much more difficult for people who only grew up with imperial measurements.

Then of cousre I do all my reloading I measure in inches, well thousands of an inch anyway.

Yes its a retain the brain thing &
BUT you do need to jog your mind when you have used MOA all you shooting life & then get a MILS scope & swap between the 2.

I am lucky, I grew up in the the metric system so thats easy for me, but there are still so many things in life & shooting that are in inches so you have to understand both anyway.
It would be much more difficult for people who only grew up with imperial measurements.

Then of cousre I do all my reloading I measure in inches, well thousands of an inch anyway.

don't you guys measure things in stone and pound, too? Lol

Hey all! I am going to sight in my new GA Precision 6.5 SAUM. I loaded rounds the other day and plan to follow the barrel break-in procedure. But I realized that this scope is in Mils, and does not have the usual adjustments found on my VX 6 Leupolds. I have the Bushnell XRS II with the G3 reticle. I printed the manual, so I have a rudimentary understanding. Anyone have a good reference guide for me to use to better understand Mils and figure out exactly what I need to do to zero the scope. It is bore-sighted. Tomorrow is just barrel break in and get it on at 100 so any references you can give are appreciated! Thank you!

View attachment 193830

You are off to an excellent start with your newly acquired reloading skills and excellent choices in equipment/rifle set-up. You have gotten excellent advice thus far. When you finally get there, please do not make look too bad. 😇

Have fun with it ... happy safe reloading and shooting/hunting. Cheers!

Ed

Hey all. Thanks for the replies.. proper replies from me tomorrow. I am sun whipped and in need of a Scotch... Barrel break-in went well today. First 15 rounds down the tube. I am understanding Mildots a bit more....emphasis on the word "bit"..... Headed to find the bottle of Macallan and put my feet up! Thanks all. Victoria

Everything has been stated as far as the definition, and what MILs mean. What really helped me was not thinking in inches at all. Just think mils. You can measure group size in inches, but when making adjustments use your reticle and make adjustments accordingly. So when my buddy says move 1 mil right, I move 1 mil right. I don't care about how far that is in inches since mil is just another unit of measure.

Shooters, like myself, get confused in the beginning because the MOA crowd thinks inches since 1 MOA is roughly 1 inch at 100 yards. You don't need to do that with mils.
Very well said. I was so guilty of trying to keep inches in my head when I got into my first MIL scope. It's so much easier to leave inches behind and simply measure and adjust MILs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.