Help needed. Neck tension?

antelopedundee

Might want to check the diameter of the decapping unit? Silly question, huh?

I would think that one might notice right off if the expander button is oversize but it never hurts to check. Or remove the button and check the neck diameter before and after running the case up into the die.

jdyoung

LRH Team Member
I don't see that you specified what brass you are using. If it is brass from your fathers stash, is it possible the necks have been peeled, turned ? If so, that brass will need a bushing die with the proper bushing to apply the tension required to secure the bullet.

30BR

yep, if new brass chambers ok, its not a tight neck. Brain fart.

Scott E Ames

LRH Team Member
Sounds like a bushing die without a bushing. Never had a standard full length resizing die do anything other than over work and undersize the neck.
If your dies are the ones shown in post #4 they are for a different caliber.

antelopedundee

Sounds like a bushing die without a bushing. Never had a standard full length resizing die do anything other than over work and undersize the neck.
If your dies are the ones shown in post #4 they are for a different caliber.
He knows that. He ordered the same style 2 die set, but in 7mm WSM.

Pete H

I believe you baught a bushing reloading die... If thats the case you have to figure out what size bushing you need to correctly size the neck. I believe it’s accomplished like this. If some one can verify or correct me please.
Measure the thickness of the brass x2
+ diameter of bullet - .003
+ or minus.001

antelopedundee

A picture of the label on the die box would help. I doubt you could get a bushing die set for that price, but maybe they sent the wrong set. Regardless the dies themselves should be stamped with type and size.

Glocker19

Okay guys so I want to take a second and pat a new friend on the back. @Sako284 lives about 45 minutes from me and he was kind enough to let me come over this morning and he reconfigured my die set up and we loaded up a couple 180 Bergers and shot them at his range. The first group He shot was .458” out side to outside with my rifle at 100 yards. I was not about to get a group that good but I am sure it was due to him being better than I am.

thank you all for the help

Sako284

Okay guys so I want to take a second and pat a new friend on the back. @Sako284 lives about 45 minutes from me and he was kind enough to let me come over this morning and he reconfigured my die set up and we loaded up a couple 180 Bergers and shot them at his range. The first group He shot was .458” out side to outside with my rifle at 100 yards. I was not about to get a group that good but I am sure it was due to him being better than I am.

thank you all for the help
Very welcome. Enjoy your phenomenally accurate rifle. Get some trigger time in and we will stretch it’s legs next time

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce