Help needed. Neck tension?

Glocker19

A few months back my dad passed away and left me a custom rifle. It’s chambered in 7mm WSM with a Bartlen barrel on a sako action. I saw my dad shoot some unbelieve groups at 4 and 500 yards with this rifle. He always shot 180 Bergers and according to his note book he used RL26 (has about 30 pounds of it) In Winchester brass with federal primers. After I moved out after college I have been a one rifle guy and fed it with federal gold metal. Inside 400 yards I’ve had great success but I have not reloaded in 12 years. So I guess I remember just enough to be dangerous.

Anyway my issue is, in the move and sorting out of his stuff, his dyes set have gone missing. I got his rock chucker and more reloading components than I can use in my life but the dies are gone. So I ordered a 2 piece set of RCBS for 7mm WSM. Now here is where I get lost. I can reload new brass and it shoots about 1.5-2.5” at 300 yards but when I go to reload the brass, the bullets literally fall out of the case if you turn the upside down. I am sure I have set the die up wrong but I wonder how it shoots so good with new brass then the bullets won’t even stay in the brass on the first reload? Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I followed YouTube RCBS videos to set it up but obviously I have done something wrong. My dad has cut outs of targets he’s shot with this rifle and this barrel 7 months ago and some are less than one inch at 300 yards. Any help for a returning reloading would be great

Bob Wright

Go with the Redding S bushing die and an assortment of bushings depending on neck turning and loaded neck o.d. Some like a collet die as well. Some like a mandrel die.
It's a camp fire argument for sure. You need to bump the cartridge about .002-.003 and add neck tension about the same. For a hunting application anyway.
I know arguments will be following. Lol....

Shane Lindsey

I would say wrong size die also. If die is set up per instructions it should size the neck. Even if you “partially” sized the neck down with the 7 WSM die it should hold the bullet enough to know it sized it without dropping out.
Check the stamp on it and see if marked correctly. If it has 7 WSM I would look to return it. Amazon is pretty good about returns. May have gotten the wrong one by accident.

Last edited:

L.Sherm

LRH Team Member
Your chamber could be set up for turned necks that is the beauty of bushing dies gives you adjustability.
Measure a loaded round and then a sized case if the sized case isnt .002 less get a bushing die.
Also if you order a bushing die get a bump guage to measure your bump and set the dies accordingly, throw the instructions in the garbage.

Tiny Tim

Agree with Shane. Resizing die would have to be grossly misadjusted to not even partially size the neck. If it was the correct die and even sized .050", a bullet wouldn't fall out. BTW, alot of new brass is advertised as "Ready to Load", meaning its already properly sized. Once you fire it, its expanded and if your resizing die is incorrect of not set up properly, it won't size correctly. There should be a "significant" amount of force required to size the neck and retract it from the die.
Most RCBS sizing dies require you to set it up so the shell holder touches the base of the sizing die with a small amount of "cam-over".

antelopedundee

New factory brass is intended to be loaded as is since it is what the manufacturer would use to load their ammunition. That is why you have no problem when you use new cases. It appears that the sizing die that you have is for a larger caliber and is either the wrong die properly marked i.e. a 300 WSM sizing die marked 300 WSM or a 300 WSM die marked 7mm WSM. If twas me I would return the die set to RCBS instead of Amazon. Since it seems to be RCBS' mistake they may refund your shipping cost.

30BR

See if the smith stamped the neck size near the caliber in the barrel.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce