Help Need to Choose Scope

BaikalMK

Hi Guys,

Here is my first post on this forum.
Intro: I am from New Zealand. Just bought my first rifle in .308 I need to choose a scope now. I'd be using it for Deer, Goat and Pig shooting hopefully. The rifle is a cheapy Zastava M70 PS. I thought I'd try it first and then I'd probably move to Remington 700.

I have gone down to 2 options that are available here for me within the price range and now I need to make a final choice.

1) Leupold VxI 3-9x40 ($369 NZD)
2) Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 ($445 NZD)

I need to choose one of these and I don't know which one to go with. Could I please ask for your opinion with reasons why I should go for what you have selected.

Thanks in advance

I expect the optics and turret mechanics to be similar in quality. I recall that VXI scopes have a 2-piece tube construction, and the Bushnell Elites have 1-piece tube. I would choose the Bushnell for that reason alone.

I would also check on warranties in NZ. They may be different than in the US.

Bushnell is not my first choice, but being that the Bushnell Elite series used to be Bausch & Lomb scopes (same scopes, different brand name on them), and I used to hunt with a B&L Elite 3000 30mm 3-9x50 FireFly reticle and I know how good quality they are, I'd go with the Bushy Elite.

As a matter of fact, I just found an old picture of my old B&L Elite 3K sitting on top of my old custom Model 7 .308 Win. The scope was later removed and mounted on my first Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker 7RM, and I hunted with that combo for YEARS, and whacked 'em and stacked 'em. With that scope you could literally see over a greenfield at midnight with just the starlight. It was crazy. Not that I was deer hunting at night, but was coyote hunting. They're not considered a game animal down here...So they're year-round 24/7 with no bag limit.

75d94feb.jpg

Ah yes, songdogs are great. Was out night before last in my skivies in the front yard with a big portable spotlight and my 44 magnum....:)

Skeeters were biting but so was the 44.....

Thanks guys,

I found a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 4200 series before they were consolidated.
I got it for $450 NZD (thats about $380 USD).

Quite happy as VX1 Leupy was about $369 and the Bushnell 3200 was $445. Instead I found a 4200 series for the same price ($450).

It should be arriving in the next couple of days.... gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi Guys,
So yesterday (Sunday) I spent an hour at the range. But I'll get to that.

24 earlier.....
I got the scope and prior to that I bought weaver style bases (alloy). Then I bought Weaver Rings Grandslam (medium). I mounted the bases, and the rings. Thank god I got medium coz the objective lens is almost touching the barrel. I adjusted for the eye relief. I bought a small level, levelled out the action and the scope of the elevation turret. tightened everything in. Pulled up the gun to my sholder and the reticles were slightly on an angle. (FU-K!!! I said)...

Al-right. So I unscrewed everything and eye-balled the reticles to how it should be, I was pretty happy, got a second opinion from my experiences hunter (my father).... he was happy so off the gun to the safe for the next day.

I bought some ammo (Remington Express Corelokt 150gr). Had a guy at the range that offered to boresight the rifle. He put me on paper, I was about 10inches high and 8 to the left at 100 meters. Adjusted the dials and I shot about 4 inches low then but spot on windage.... Ajdusted Elivation and the range was about to close in 15 minutes and I had about 6 shots left. I took 2 shots on one target and then two shots on the second target. then I had my father shoot 1 each on each of the targets. End result was about 2MOA groups.
Now this is the first time I am shooting a large calibre rifle, previously I've had a shotgun and .22lr. So I am really happy with my shotting and the shooting of the gun. I think I might look into the trigger pull weight as it felt a bit heavy even for a hunting scenario.

In terms of the scope. I am really happy. Very bright and clean picture. The Multi-X reticle was I think a great choice as I will be hunting up to 200 yards deer. I don't need holdovers much. I love it really.

Some Photos....
The yellow shots are me and the reds are my father's... (we were going for the black tape)

Attachments

• 20130928_171113_20130929112933147[1].jpg
    20130928_171113_20130929112933147[1].jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Target 1.jpg
    Target 1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Target 2.jpg
    Target 2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Scope.jpg
    Scope.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 119
I think I will practice at home a little bit with dry firing just to get use to the trigger, but also I'll get some different factory ammo for next couple of weeks and I'll try and get the groupings on the black tape.

Any recommendations on Ammo are welcomed? (I'll be shooting deer mainly)....

I was quite excited firing the gun so my heart was bouncing, so were the reticles. The groupings can only get better (I hope)....But for a low end rifle like Zastava... right of the factory I am happy with the results for now.

Good on ya! You're off to a good start. Look around for a torque wrench at the range and tighten those ring screws to 25 in-lb, or 30 in-lb if they are steel.

Eyeballing the reticle alignment is fine for ranges less than about 300 yds.

I like Barnes TSX or TTSX bullets. You can find them in a few premium ammo brands. Not cheap, but they're accurate and worth every penny.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.