Help....my wife cant see consistently through th scope.

That is precisely what I need
Sorry, pard can't help with that. You wrote your lady has been shooting since 12 . Undoubtedly that has been without a properly fitted stock. She has found her own way to cope with recoil.

Somewhere on this site I read a post that stated how a woman requires a different shaped recoil pad than a man. I think the heel portion needs to be more narrow, oval. I just can't recall which thread it was.

Hold on , I just Googled : gunstocks fitted for a woman, and this came up.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/resources/female-friendly-stocks

Might help.

Here's another site lists 10 rules for Women On Getting the Right Gun Fit

Last edited:
Reads like you need a woman's opinion. Someone knowledgeable, experienced in shooting /hunting for her to confide in and help get her set up properly and discuss the problems she is encountering.
Excellent suggestion!

That is precisely what I need

Might get in touch with Victoria aka LRH member 'Lethal Chica' on here. She'd probably be happy to help.

I'll say that having a rifle set with the scope where her head is naturally, rather than trying to conform to your distancing might fix the problem right away.

If in the photo she has a clean view through that scope (no black out), the difference between your nose and where hers is, is about an inch back. That tells me the scope is too far back for her. Pushing that scope forward would also lower her head down and forward for a better cheek weld and a good clear scope view.
If your scope has a pic rail, you can move it around usually, to check where she says "that's better".

I've fitted a few women up with rifles and shotguns through the years. The article by JDYoung is on the money. It is more than length of pull.

First thing - check dominant eye. If she is left dominant then nothing will make her comfortable behind a big RH rifle.

Then, generally...

Women have longer necks than men.
Women have higher cheekbones than men.
Their jaw tends to be finer (less 'square').
These three add up to the need for a higher comb on any gun.

Women have different chest structure.
The breast tissue starts up at the collar bone and grows thicker as it descends through the normal recoil area.
They have less muscle on the chest.
These mean the recoil pad needs to be angled to suit and is not as square to the bore like it is for men, usually the stock is cast off (outward from the centreline). Sometimes, the toe needs to be angled off a little to allow for larger breasts.

Upper body strength is less. A gun which is heavy out front is going to be a problem for most women to hold effectively. Lighter barrel and shorter forend.

Finally, in addition to shorter arms, women also have smaller hands. This means that the grip needs to be closer to the trigger so they can reach and have control, the grip is usually smaller so a good control is made.

So, take a look at a Weatherby Camilla for inspiration of a designed for women rifle.

Camilla.
VanguardCamillaDeluxe_WebEdit1.jpg

BackCountry.
VanguardBackcountry_WebEdit1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Length of pull may be too long for her, along with the scope being too far away. Most important, figure out whether she is left or right eye dominate. Google it. There's a simple test you can have her do to find out by making a circle with here hands then looking through the circle while focused on an object and bring here circled fingers closer to here eyes until she draws the circle to one of here two eyes. That will be her dominate eye. Doesn't matter if she's left or right handed. I'm right handed, left eye dominate, and shoot left handed. Same goes for my son. Easiest thing to do to get someone accustomed to finding their ability to fit themselves to a rifle to be able to see through a scope is to get her a 22LR or pellet rifle with a short enough length of pull for her and just let her stand up and shoot using her dominate eye. She will get the hang of it pretty quickly just standing up plinking with a light scooed 22lr or pellet rifle.

Woman have higher cheek bones on average than a man, this requiring a higher cheek weld. The suggestions for a higher cheek weld are correct.
Length of pull may also be different between the two. My girlfriend is much shorter than me and requires a higher cheek weld. I remedied the issue of fit between us on the Deer/steel gun we both shoot by putting the barreled action in a mdt chassis with an adjustable buttstock. I made a quick reference spacer for the cheek weld height for each of us and marked the LOP. We can adjust between us ~30 seconds and both have the same impact On target.

Put a rail on it, and invest in a reflex sight, and maybe a magnifier.

When that gets second nature try switching back.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.