Help me value/Sell this STW

It's a complete low round count rifle....It needs some stock help, No it isn't a 6k custom

If that rifle was posted for 300 bucks it would be gone in 30 seconds and I bet you know that.
I didn't want to have to say it, but nobody else has. That gun is only worth $300-400 or so, and if your buddy paid "ALOT" more than that for it, he got taken for a ride. The stock is pretty much junk, scope and mounts are complete crap (they're not even worth re-selling, just garbage can or giving away), barrel might be ok, but other than that, you have a barreled action for sale... Which is about $300 average, $400 tops if they were desperate for one.

I'm not trying to insult your buddy's gun, I hope you understand that, but you asked real-world questions and your getting real-world answers. All of us here have/do buy alot of guns. So we see price patterns enough to where we know to walk away if someone wants too much and won't budge on their price.

I didn't want to have to say it, but nobody else has. That gun is only worth $300-400 or so, and if your buddy paid "ALOT" more than that for it, he got taken for a ride. The stock is pretty much junk, scope and mounts are complete crap (they're not even worth re-selling, just garbage can or giving away), barrel might be ok, but other than that, you have a barreled action for sale... Which is about $300 average, $400 tops if they were desperate for one.

I'm not trying to insult your buddy's gun, I hope you understand that, but you asked real-world questions and your getting real-world answers. All of us here have/do buy alot of guns. So we see price patterns enough to where we know to walk away if someone wants too much and won't budge on their price.

Others have made there similar opinions abundantly clear too. I think this thread has run its course.

Others have made there similar opinions abundantly clear too. I think this thread has run its course.
Like I said, I wasn't trying to offend, and knowing the other guys on here, I am pretty sure they weren't either.

For the record, I don't even like Model 70's, so I have nothing to gain from putting a value on that gun. It's just what I see used ones going for around here. What I was saying about that scopes and mounts were that they added no value to the sale, maybe $25 tops. That scope is what comes on the WalMart Rem 710/770/783 combo specials you can buy for $350-400. It's Tasco-quality glass. He would probably get $800 with a Leupold, Vortex, or Zeiss Conquest on there. But with that scope & mounting setup, you would get just as much for it as a bare rifle with no optics, as you would without it.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to offend, and knowing the other guys on here, I am pretty sure they weren't either.

For the record, I don't even like Model 70's, so I have nothing to gain from putting a value on that gun. It's just what I see used ones going for around here. What I was saying about that scopes and mounts were that they added no value to the sale, maybe $25 tops. That scope is what comes on the WalMart Rem 710/770/783 combo specials you can buy for $350-400. It's Tasco-quality glass. He would probably get $800 with a Leupold, Vortex, or Zeiss Conquest on there. But with that scope & mounting setup, you would get just as much for it as a bare rifle with no optics, as you would without it.

I understand peoples opinion on the rifle. I also agree about the scope and I don't like model 70's either or I would have bought it for him. I'm not offended by replies but don't necessarily agree it just a parts gun. That's all. That is why I feel this thread has exhausted itself.

I understand he sees just a action, I have bought action donors myself but they needed barrel replacement or serious attention, This rifle with a better stock and scope choice (or not) could be a great hunting rig as is...Should we call it a lightweight or packing gun that was my point, Not it ONLY being good for a action donor especially being a STW and not just a '06 or something readily available.

And Is a added break (Muscle break for example) a addition in value and desirability but Magna porting kills value? This seems odd to me.

FWIW, I don't think this rifle is worth no 800 and I told him that but I do know it's worth a hell of allot more than 3 bills as a shooter if nothing else (or action).
Magnaporting essentially shortens the barrel length to wherever the first cut is made for the porting. That's the difference.

I understand peoples opinion on the rifle. I also agree about the scope and I don't like model 70's either or I would have bought it for him. I'm not offended by replies but don't necessarily agree it just a parts gun. That's all. That is why I feel this thread has exhausted itself.
You might try listing it on gunbroker and see what it'll bring.

I think you'll find you got very fair appraisals here.

Magnaporting essentially shortens the barrel length to wherever the first cut is made for the porting. That's the difference.

That is good info and something I didn't realize. So.. Post first port the bullet does not gain velocity or additional stabilization?

You might try listing it on gunbroker and see what it'll bring.

I think you'll find you got very fair appraisals here.

Like I said, Last I heard he has it sold, I have no idea what he took for it and I did not share the opinions here with him. I know what he paid (roughly) and didn't feel like insulting him.

I feel I got all the constructive info (and more) out of this thread and really wish we could lock our own threads here.

That is good info and something I didn't realize. So.. Post first port the bullet does not gain velocity or additional stabilization?

Like I said, Last I heard he has it sold, I have no idea what he took for it and I did not share the opinions here with him. I know what he paid (roughly) and didn't feel like insulting him.

I feel I got all the constructive info (and more) out of this thread and really wish we could lock our own threads here.
There is little to no gain in additional velocity beyond the first port. Unlike a muzzle brake porting vents the expanding gases which drive the bullet before it ever reaches the end of the barrel.

There's no additional stabilization either because the rate of spin is determined by the length of the rate of twist and muzzle velocity. The velocity is not going to increase past the first port by much if any so the RPM will not increase to any significant degree either from that point.

Think about those big spinning tops we had as kids. They had a corkscrew plunger you pumped to make it spin faster and faster. The faster you could drive the plunger down the faster it spun. Same with barrel twist/velocity. The faster it travels, even though the twist rate remains the same, the faster the bullet spins upon leaving the bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.