Help me understand.

4xforfun

So, My nephew bought an EDGE off of the classified here and I and I am trying to find a scope for him. What I am finding on the higher end, higher power scopes is mostly FFP, MIL scopes!!! Now help me out here.....If you are a hunter and can afford one of these scopes you can afford a range finder. I mean really, what HUNTER actually uses A FFP scope properly? And, the PRS guys.....I have never been to a match ( will fix that some day) ....don't they know the distance to target(s) already at each stage? From what I understand, you need to know the exact size of the target to be able to make the FFP reticle work properly. As far as the whole MIL/MOA ...just another way to skin the same cat.

Sorry for the stupid question...but....hunting season is over for us up here and I am running out of things to do.....now it is on to shooting steel!!

Tod

Last edited:
I use both, and prefer both for different things.

but, the biggest advantage is I can have my scope on ANY magnification and the holds work. No thinking about it in the moment "am I on 14 power or 15 power" or whatever.

zoom to the comfortable magnification for the shooting scenario and send it.

I've never once used a ffp reticle to range an animal in the field.

I'm not a fan of ffp, but I can see how some people are. If you study your reticle and your ballistics, you really don't ever need to dial.
I have a exactly one friend that knows this information extremely well. It doesn't matter what setting the scope is at, he can pick it up, range a target, and ring steel to 800 really effectively. He is WAY faster than me getting to the trigger.

Good to know. But the concern I would have is reticle size at high power at ELR. Is that even a thing anymore? Looking at the 7-35 ATACR....they make both, but the FFP's ae far more available since they have been out longer.

I could not get used to the reticle size changing. SFP for me. If I was a PRS guy who was using the reticle for holdovers and mainly using it at long range then maybe.

I personally use and prefer SFP/MOA scopes. Having said that, FFP has a big advantage of the reticle working at any power level. So from say 3x to 15x the hashmarks in the reticle measure the exact same and the reticle changes in size as you increase or decrease the zoom level. So if you hold off for wind and each hashmark is say 2 MOA, then that hashmark is 2 MOA at all zoom levels in a FFP scope. In a SFP scope that hashmark is only equal to 2 MOA at the max zoom or a set power level.

If you dial elevation, based on laser ranging, go SFP. Basic med-fine crosshair is as good as it gets for reticle.
Leave FFP and all that mess in view to those who apparently can't afford laser ranging(maybe because they spent too much for their FFP scopes)..
Hold off for wind in simple inches.

When a group of animals show up at medium range - say 300-600yd - a wider FOV can be an advantage.

With FFP, it's easy to back off the magnification and open up the FOV to track multiple animals. Especially if they are on the move. (Be sure of your target and beyond).

Wider FOV also enables spotting impacts at these intermediate ranges. This can be tricky because the impact happens so quickly.

I like SFP in smaller lighter scopes, I feel like it's really well suited to a 3-9x or 2-10x magnification range.

For me, FFP really starts to come into its own at 3-15x.

This is my opinion - what works for me might not work for someone else... But as someone who owns and uses both (SFP/FFP mil/moa), there are pros and cons for each.

This is my opinion - what works for me might not work for someone else... But as someone who owns and uses both (SFP/FFP mil/moa), there are pros and cons for each.
I have both-forced to pick I think SFP serves most hunter's, best.

I'll say there are plenty of us not using our SFP scopes to their full potential. Also plenty of mistakes made with SFP. It took me longer than it should have figuring out why I wasn't being successful with reticle hold overs, and magnification.

So, My nephew bought an EDGE off of the classified here and I and I am trying to find a scope for him. What I am finding on the higher end, higher power scopes is mostly FFP, MIL scopes!!! Now help me out here.....If you are a hunter and can afford one of these scopes you can afford a range finder. I mean really, what HUNTER actually uses A FFP scope properly? And, the PRS guys.....I have never been to a match ( will fix that some day) ....don't they know the distance to target(s) already at each stage? From what I understand, you need to know the exact size of the target to be able to make the FFP reticle work properly. As far as the whole MIL/MOA ...just another way to skin the same cat.

Sorry for the stupid question...but....hunting season is over for us up here and I am running out of things to do.....now it is on to shooting steel!!

Tod
I shoot a lot of PRS club matches; I primarily dial elevation and hold off for wind since that is the unknown variable and it is rarely ever a constant. Some stages that require rapid transition I will dial elevation for the closest target and then hold over for the transition, and frequently (even more so on stages that require transitions) I will back off magnification to get a wider FOV for faster acquisition between targets so FFP (and preferably a christmas tree reticle at that) is a must have.

I have yet to shoot an unknown distance stage where you need to actually mil targets to estimate range, but I know some of the big nationally sanctioned matches have stages like that on occasion. Running an SFP optic in a competition would be a huge disadvantage in my mind.

Last edited:
Here's my problem with ffp, I why I went away from them. imo, ffp only works on a 4x zoom ratio, and I want more than that for hunting.
With spf, your reticle is always visible, it always looks the same. It also changes in respect to your target, meaning that it covers less area at 1000 than it does at 100 which, imo, allows for more precision at lr.
When you get into an 8x zoom ratio, say with .1 mill subtentions, on a 24x scope, your reticle is useless until you get to around 6x. They are way to fine to see. If your on low power in a hunting situation, it's because your expecting a close quick shot, it which case, you'd want quick target acquisition. With ffp you have a very fine, difficult to see reticle, which is the opposite of what you want in a quick situation.
I can certainly see that they have their place.
For me, and my opinion, ( it's not more than an opinion) If I'm taking a "long" shot, I'm always on max power, where my reticle is designed to work. ( there are ways around this) so my wind wind holds are what I decided they need to be. For quick, or close shots, I don't need any of that for hunting, I just need to see my reticle and make a good shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.