Help me understand wyatt mags

Darkfightr

I am looking to build a rifle on a short action and like the idea of having a longer magazine length for a BDL style action. I would use an MBE-5 for this.

I know that I would need to order my action with cuts specifically for a Wyatt's mag (easy to do with the bighorn SR3), but do I need to do anything special with the stock (manners EH4) to get it to fit? How about the actual bottom metal (PT&G obendorf BDL)?

Don't be afraid to explain like I'm 5 in this one, I feel really lost for some dumb reason. Thanks.

yes, on the action. (ID. to Wyatt's OD).
yes, on the bottom metal (ID. to Wyatt's OD.).
yes, on the bottom metal (OD. to stock ID.)
That said, If the action is milled for a Wyatt's magazine and your stock is opened up to accept the bottom metal that you chose, then it should all be very close to "prefit."
Sorry, it's not an exact science. There are a lot of variations from stock, to full blown custom that has already been clearenced to accept other aftermarket parts.

The MBE-5 is cut to work with factory bottom metal although it may take a little fitting. The stock cut may clear as is, or it may need a little more clearance at the rear of the mortise. If your action is cut for the magazine, the rest is just hand fitting. The matching Wyatt follower is very slick and works great with Creedmoor cartridges and similar. Nowadays several of the custom action makers cut for the Wyatt length whether you ask for it or not. It usually doesn't pose a problem even if a standard OEM mag box is used.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.