Help me understand the Mildot Master

Epee

So my problem, and I'm sure it's me not thinking right:

My scope is in MOA, Mildotmaster is for mils. Can I use the Mildot Master with my MOA scope? One mil = 3.38 MOA? So you need a calculator to quickly convert the mils to moa for making the scope adjustment? This seems like to much time if you are pressed for time?

Am I thinking correctly? Thanks guys, and pardon my ignorance.

Converting Mils to MOA and vice versa takes time and is begging for a mistake. can you do it? Yes. Why would you? You can use MOA to range also.

The following is from my Sightron S-Tac instructions (2 moa lines in the scope).

1 MOA = 1.047" at 100 Yards

"To determine the range of your target simply divide the height of the target in MOA, divided by the MOA on the reticle X 100 yards."

Example: target height is 10 MOA / Target on reticle is 2 MOA, times by 100 yards = 500 yards.

I hope this helps. If not, you can look at this on Sightron's web sight, or find it on the web.

So my problem, and I'm sure it's me not thinking right:

My scope is in MOA, Mildotmaster is for mils. Can I use the Mildot Master with my MOA scope? One mil = 3.38 MOA? So you need a calculator to quickly convert the mils to moa for making the scope adjustment? This seems like to much time if you are pressed for time?

Am I thinking correctly? Thanks guys, and pardon my ignorance.

I used one years ago when I first began to hunt at long range and decent rangefinders were limited. It is intended for use with a Mildot or TMR reticle. It can take the place of using a calculator for determinations for distance or target size conversions of MIL and inches, as well as bullet drop information conversions of MILS, inches, or MOA. It also includes the ability to attach a line and weight, and by aligning your target along the edge, determine an up or down angle, then use the slide scale to make the correction.

Unless you wanted it just to use for shot angle determination, it's not much use unless you have, and make use of a Mildot/TMR reticle. As stated in the previos post, MOA/inch conversions are very straight forward.

Back in the day before quality rangefinders were available or affordable and the only scopes a guy could get his hands on were moa turrets and mil reticles they were very helpful if uou planned on using your reticle to range objects and determine the distance. They have several other features that are nice as well but unless your using a mil based reticle they won't be overly helpful to you.

The current offerings available in both scopes and rangefinders offer several advantages to trying to scale targets or use a mismatch system like mil reticle and moa turrets.

Jordan@406

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.