Help me Understand Composite Hunting Stocks

So, I've looked at Hogue, Bell&Carlson, HS Precision, Manners and McMillan. These range from $200-$800....that is a huge range.

Every one of these have positive posts about shooting great groups(1/2"@100 or better). with skim bedding. Some have limited inlets.

Most will inlet for my Winchester 70 Classic post64 CRF long action with new 1 pc bottom metal or my 2pc bottom metal.

So, Hogue to B&C to.....what improvements will I see? All I really have set as musts are: rock solid bedding, durable finish, forearm fit up to a #3 contour, slightly raised or offset cheek piece(not Monte Carlo), grip similar to M70(not like Rigby or other open style), good grip texture/checkering, 14" lop, rounded forend, side mounted flush cups(gunsmith or factory install), kickeeze or Decelerator pad, durable finish and under 2.25 lbs weight.

With these requirements, the b&c looks pretty good....If not b&c, what & why?
Most of the less expensive stocks will be slightly heavier and have an aluminum bedded block setup. These stocks are off the shelf and do come with barrel channels to fit a small range of barrels. Some of them have enough material to be opened up to larger barrels some don't. If you have a standard length of pull, standard factory barrel contour, and don't mind the extra weight the B&C will be workable.

The more expensive stocks like McMillan and Manners are going to give you every possible option to perfectly fit your barreled action and bottom metal and can be lighter weight. But, they will be more expensive. McMillan does sell some canned stocks that are less custom in the $500-$700 range off their website shop. So if you're building a custom rifle with say a Proof Sendero barrel contour and a Rem Clone of some sort these customs can be built to fit perfectly, where it would be a tough path with a canned stock. The custom makers also have the choices of carbon fiber or fiber glass, I think some of the canned stocks are now available in carbon fiber.

Grayboe makes a nice mid range cost stock.

I have two rifles with B&C Medalist stocks and like them very much. They are very stiff, but a little heavy. It comes down to personal preference. Shouldering one makes a big difference in decisions without spending the money. If only I could find friends that would spend the money first instead of waiting for to try one.

I have a model 70 in a McMillian super grade stock and 2 others in bell and Carlson's stocks. I like the feel and quality of the McMillian stock better. The Mcmillan is stiffer and has a slimmer wrist and checkering on the wrist and fore end which I like. McMillian also offers more options so you can customize the stock to your needs.

I prefer McMillian with Edge Technology due to stability, durability and consistency of fit and bedding results. I have 3 friends that are retired Illinois State Police Officers trained and formerly assigned to SWAT squads, all only use Manners stock.

So, I've looked at Hogue, Bell&Carlson, HS Precision, Manners and McMillan. These range from $200-$800....that is a huge range.

Every one of these have positive posts about shooting great groups(1/2"@100 or better). with skim bedding. Some have limited inlets.

Most will inlet for my Winchester 70 Classic post64 CRF long action with new 1 pc bottom metal or my 2pc bottom metal.

So, Hogue to B&C to.....what improvements will I see? All I really have set as musts are: rock solid bedding, durable finish, forearm fit up to a #3 contour, slightly raised or offset cheek piece(not Monte Carlo), grip similar to M70(not like Rigby or other open style), good grip texture/checkering, 14" lop, rounded forend, side mounted flush cups(gunsmith or factory install), kickeeze or Decelerator pad, durable finish and under 2.25 lbs weight.

With these requirements, the b&c looks pretty good....If not b&c, what & why?
My personal reason I like the the composite stocks is the aluminum bedding. It makes the stock very sturdy// strong. You also don't have to worry about the stock swelling or splitting it humid weather. I have been told a wood stock don't swell. Problem is I have replaced rifle stocks before because they swelled. One was in my gun safe witch scared me. I have a humidity gauge in my safe. I may have not wiped the stock off good enough after a hunt I got caught in the rain. I had another split on me while I was just varmint hunting with friends in Cisco Texas. I couldn't tell you what happened there. It swelled so bad it split down the front of the gun towards the hinge floor plate. After that second incident, I have replaced all my guns with either composite stocks or all aluminum chaises. After that, no more stuck hinged floor plates Or splitting stocks. No more worries. I got lucky on catching the split stock before I pulled the trigger. Hope this helps.

I just put a Mesa Precision Arms Altitude on a 338rum. So far I really like it. Not sure if they do all to meet all your criteria but I'm guessing they could since they gunsmith as well.

I do not think they make there own stock

I have used them on the last 6 builds they are light carbonfiber, pillars installed, and it will not take 6 months to get one if you call them they will do a lot of custom work also. and many big Cos use there stocks like proof, kimber and others. my only dis like is no ADJ butt

Talked to him the other day and he said they could do that now too

Thanks

Buck

I was just on the phone with them AG they will cut them down for a shorter LOP but no adj butt plates I need long in summer up here when it is 90 degs but some moose season in the brooks range can get down right cold -20 below and then shorter is needed

I was just on the phone with them AG they will cut them down for a shorter LOP but no adj butt plates I need long in summer up here when it is 90 degs but some moose season in the brooks range can get down right cold -20 below and then shorter is needed

Thanks for that, from my conversation I understood they would add adjustable length of pull

Thanks

Buck

I only have two rifles with wood furniture. One is a 100 year old bolt .22 that my grandfather gave to my dad in the 1920's, who gave it to me in the 1950's and I gave to my son in the 1980's. He will give it to his kids in the next few years. The other is a Browning Model 1885 in .22-250 with a hex barrel. All my hunting rifles have composite stocks because i fall down sometimes when I am out hunting and I don't care if the stocks get scratched...

Composites are king for environmental stability. They're just as customizable in fit as a wood stock but they also have the luxury of having space age technologies such as aluminum bedding blocks instead of just pillars. I have a composite wrapped aluminum block Choate Tool stock on a Savage 10FCP and I also have a solid fiberglass epoxy Grayboe on a Remington SA. I love walnut stocks as much as the next guy, but for tools in the field I'll take my composites any day of the week.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.