Help me Understand Composite Hunting Stocks

nksmfamjp

So, I've looked at Hogue, Bell&Carlson, HS Precision, Manners and McMillan. These range from $200-$800....that is a huge range.

Every one of these have positive posts about shooting great groups(1/2"@100 or better). with skim bedding. Some have limited inlets.

Most will inlet for my Winchester 70 Classic post64 CRF long action with new 1 pc bottom metal or my 2pc bottom metal.

So, Hogue to B&C to.....what improvements will I see? All I really have set as musts are: rock solid bedding, durable finish, forearm fit up to a #3 contour, slightly raised or offset cheek piece(not Monte Carlo), grip similar to M70(not like Rigby or other open style), good grip texture/checkering, 14" lop, rounded forend, side mounted flush cups(gunsmith or factory install), kickeeze or Decelerator pad, durable finish and under 2.25 lbs weight.

With these requirements, the b&c looks pretty good....If not b&c, what & why?

Last edited:
I've got a B&C Medalist on a Rem 700. I also have a Brown Precision, an Aaron Alexander stock, and three McMillan stocks for XP-100's.

The McMillan stocks are better quality in my opinion, though I shoot excellent groups with all four brands.

I would let price, and features dictate which one I bought more so than brand.

I have a hogue overmould with pillars, a b&c medalist that had a square forearm that I modified, and two Manners EH-1's. I like the feel of the Manners the best, and they are the lightest, and have the best looking finishes of the three. AG composotes are good as well, I would put them in line with Manners in quality from the couple I have seen. Stockys carbon fiber stocks are made by ag fwiw, and can be had at a lower price at times. I have also shot a McMillan A3, and like it very much, but I still prefer my Manners EH-1's.

If your on a budget however, and not as concerned with weight, the B&C does just fine. I wouldn't mess with the Hogue unless it's the full bedding block version, however I'm not sure it's any cheaper than a B&C.

I have one MOD 70 classic 30-06 in the HSprecision and two MOD 70 classic 270's in the BC stocks. Love them both and the 270' shoot sub MOA with no extra bedding. (1 270 is std weight and 1 is featherweight). BTW the std weight with a big scope weighs 9.5 lbs and the featherweight with a 1 inch tube weighs 8.5 lbs.

Why ag composites? What do you like?
I have used them on the last 6 builds they are light carbonfiber, pillars installed, and it will not take 6 months to get one if you call them they will do a lot of custom work also. and many big Cos use there stocks like proof, kimber and others. my only dis like is no ADJ butt

I have one MOD 70 classic 30-06 in the HSprecision and two MOD 70 classic 270's in the BC stocks. Love them both and the 270' shoot sub MOA with no extra bedding. (1 270 is std weight and 1 is featherweight). BTW the std weight with a big scope weighs 9.5 lbs and the featherweight with a 1 inch tube weighs 8.5 lbs.
yes H&S are outstanding stock and can be had on e-bay as take offs for 1/2 the cost of Co buying

I just put a Mesa Precision Arms Altitude on a 338rum. So far I really like it. Not sure if they do all to meet all your criteria but I'm guessing they could since they gunsmith as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.