Help me understand a flyer

Reading thru the post - a couple of questions. WHICH shot was the flyer? First shot - might just be from having clean barrel, or just because it was he first shot being ornery. Why 100 thou off the lands? Might try going in .005 increments from touching to almost touching the lands (depending on your comfort level) moving out. Did you check for concentricity of the rounds when done with your loading process? I keep mine to .002 or less. I have used both Federal 201 and 210M primers and currently just the 210M primers. My groups are better with them at over 500 Yards. Do you get one flyer every per five, or one once? Shooting yesterday, I was at 600 yards, called my shot as a 9-10, and it was a 7. My only flyer out of 60+ rounds, so recorded it as "one of those things" that happens. Anyway - good luck going forward.

A flyer is normally caused by a cold bore. I agree with the others, shoot 5 and move on. Make sure you're not canting your rifle. Put a bubble level on your scope to rule this out. I don't believe it has anything to do with your load. We as shooters always want to blame anything but us. Are you shooting prone, bench....go back to the range shoot one fouling shot then start your 5 shot groups. Have someone watch you shoot. You'll be amazed of the bad habits someone else notices. Cheers!

As mentioned earlier, the chronograph MAY tell you what is happening with that flyer. I would also take a look at your shooting technique to be sure all is consistent. Good luck and I am sure you will figure it out.

Flyers can be caused many things, You already have the tools to narrow it down. (The Chronograph)...

Analyze your data, and look for trends in the flyers, They are there if you look. and don't forget your self in the equation. No one shoots there best every time.
J E CUSTOM
If your scope's parallax is off a bit, and you are not in PRECISELY the same position when the shot breaks, it could cause the issue. That might explain the randomness if all the hardware is right.

anyone want to help me understand why I'm getting a flyer with my groups?

This is on a 308 win 20" muller barrel.

Load is 46.5 grains of Varget
Virgin Lapua brass large primer pocket
Cci 200 primer
165 grr Nosler Ballistic tip hunting bullets

All shots at 200 yards.

First picture is of my ladder test. Shots 8 and 9 were almost touching, and only 5 fps velocity change so I figured that would be a great load.

View attachment 151084

So I loaded up 4 rounds of 46.5 grain of powder and went to range. Shot at 200 yards. The 3shots close have a .31 moa but not with the flyer low and to the left.

View attachment 151085

Thought maybe I just pulled it so I loaded up 4 more and shot again. 3 shots with a moa of .65 but not counting the flyer that was low.

View attachment 151086

Can someone help me understand what I'm doing wrong or what might be the cause?

Thanks.
IMHO.....over 60% of the time it's cheek weld! With only a 1/2" difference I wouldn't be looking for goblins or the famous.....MY GUN DOESN'T LIKE THIS! A simple blink, a nearly imperceptible cant, can make all the difference and if it's consistently last shot in the group... usually anticipation of that last recoil...you might not know it...but muscle reflex does.

Last edited:
Weigh your empty brass and group by weight. I am surprised no-one has mentioned that here. The actual weight has nothing to do with it, but it is the size of the inside of the case - the heavier the empty cartridge, the less room in the case, same amount of powder = more pressure as the powder burns (less room to expand). Premium brass should not be more than about 1 grain difference in weight.

I agree with F210 primers. I use F210M in any load that I want to shoot a good group with as they seem to be really consistent. If it's the 4th shot every time, maybe barrel sensitive to heat? Try a 6-7 shot group and see if group stays bad or gets worse. Try another bullet. Some of my guns hate Nosler bullets.

Actually, Everyone that Poster is correct in that This or that could be the issue. There are many reason that a flyer happens and anyone of these can be the cause and very hard to find sometimes.

Another issue that has not been brought up that I learned in competition is that one of the reasons that accuracy can actually be better at longer distance than close distances with optics is that we tend to hold better and the error in siting is less many times because the recital doesn't cover up as much of the target. Also we concentrate on position and trigger control because we know we have to concentrate or we make a bad shot.

At close distances we tend to be less concerned. (The reason some have trouble getting really tight groups) less that 1/10th MOA Are very hard to shoot even with a capable rifle. So if you can eliminate any of the variables by what ever means it is much easier to reach the goal of accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

If you're a long range shooting it's an issue, if you're just hunting it's a good group a 200 yds. Still a kill shot.
Sometimes it's just the nut behind the rifle.

If it were a pistol I would say you were shooting right handed and pushing the trigger . you may be pushing the rifle in trying to keep the recoil and barrel jump down also . I have a 223 that will only shoot one brand of bullet well with the primers and powder that I use .

The fact that your velocities start to plateau above 46.1 grains, I'd say that is your max load. The Nosler web site lists 46.0g as a max load. I'd back off from 46.5g if I were you. Maybe that will pull your groups in.

Last edited:
I am running 43.5 gr of Varget in my rem 308 that's what it likes but then that's mine not yours . I also have the bullet seated .062 from the lands .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts