Help me to check my boxes for my elk hunt this year

FlGunner

So here's what I got going on....I signed up for a drop camp elk hunt in Colorado (1st Rifle). Did the guided hunt thing a couple of times but decided to try my hands on a diy drop camp. My plan is to be able to pitch a tent and stay over night if I have too away from the wall tent the outfitter is setting up for me and a partner if I find elk a long ways away from it. I've stayed out in the wilderness in Montana twice and loved it (Bivy).
So far for clothing I have bought a set of Sitka clothing.... base layers, mountain pants, core light weight hoodie, ascent shirts, jetsam jacket, gaiters, and wearing same boots I used in Montana. I have bought a Garmin in reach explore plus and a Garmin hunt view Colorado map card to use in Garmin alpha. I have a jet boil cook set and a bladder for my mystery ranch pack.. aside from a tent and sleeping bag what else do you guys think I should look at getting to ensure I got the necessities?

I know I need a water purifier of sorts but not sure which one as I have never used one.

Appreciate the replies guys. Yeah food and game bags was a given that I forgot to list and I do have a compass I plan on taking as well. I will look for a good first aid kit. Keep 'em coming fellas. I really do appreciate the input.

Something to make fire. and a backup.
Headlamp. And a backup. Spare batteries.

Check out the MSR Trailshot as an ultralight water purifier. I always carry one in my pack and leave the bigger water filter at my basecamp. It's all I carry when I'm going on light/fast 1-2 night scouting trips, or long trail runs.

And a Luci light to use to make food an night and coffee in the morning really saves on the headlamp batteries. If you're only planning on maybe 1 night spiked out it's not needed, but I always have two at my basecamp.

Something to make fire. and a backup.
Headlamp. And a backup. Spare batteries.

Check out the MSR Trailshot as an ultralight water purifier. I always carry one in my pack and leave the bigger water filter at my basecamp. It's all I carry when I'm going on light/fast 1-2 night scouting trips, or long trail runs.

And a Luci light to use to make food an night and coffee in the morning really saves on the headlamp batteries. If you're only planning on maybe 1 night spiked out it's not needed, but I always have two at my basecamp.
Thank you sir. I will look into the MSR and what do you recommend on a good headlamp?

Last edited:
Here's maybe an unexpected question. Are you absolutely sure there will be available water to filter in the area you might expect to hunt should you decide to stay overnight? I have lived in Colorado and hunted elk here for 33 years. I have run into more situations than I care to remember where springs, small streams, and seeps that have always had water were suddenly dry. This is caused for too many natural reasons to discuss here. This happened just last year in an area our group has hunted and camped in for at least twenty years. Where we used to grab water was dry. We spent half a day "hunting" while looking for another water source. We found one two ridges and a mile away. We were at 8700 feet.

Just suggesting you try to verify with your drop camp outfitter water availability before you arrive. Friends hunted in the Meeker area last fall as well and found no water except on private property. Drought years can be very tough everywhere in Colorado.

Last edited: