Help me spec out my friend's dream rifle

slm9s

My LEFT-HANDED friend wants his dream elk rifle. He was looking at a LH Wby Accumark in 338/378 for $2300 because he had one before and loved it, but was wanting to look into a custom. He expressed interest in seeing what kind of custom he could build for the same price. He is a big fan of the Defiance Deviant action and a fluted barrel, and is thinking 300 win mag if he goes the "build" option. So... Left Handed Defiance Deviant unless someone has a better value action with similar quality. Fluted lightweight barrel. McMillan or Manners or lightweight chassis. "Good" trigger, something like a Timney? He wants a DBM system, so add that to the stock unless its a chassis.
Can someone knowledgeable spec out something like that? Approx cost for each part and an estimate of gunsmithing costs? Can something like this be built for $2300?
Thanks in advance.

Truthfully I doubt it. A Defiance Deviant long action lists at $1380.00 W/O any options
The parts alone will probably exceed your budget. And you will still have to pay to get it assembled. Have your friend look at Fierce rifles they look nice and are in his price range.
I looked there is a $275.00 up-charge for LH..
http://fiercearms.com/products/rifle-models/edge

Last edited:
Here is what i looked at1,380 for the action 300 for a barrel 150 for fluting 131 for a trigger and your at 1,961, at minimum 560-600 for manners or McMillan and another 150-300 for bottom metal and idk what your local gunsmith would charge to put it together, I didn't look at an up charge for being LH so if that's the case you will have to add that in, you might look at Northland shooter supply they sell trued Remington and savages, and Bighorn action, and they have the cheapest prices on barrels that I've found so far

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm thinking a trued 700 action would be the only way to get close.

What you are talking about would be at least double your budget. Change the action to a Remington factory action without blue printing and you will still be about $800 over your budget.

Steve

Yeah you've definitely exceeded the $2300 in the list already. $1300+ for the action and Mcmillan or Manners stock with DBM is gonna run anywhere from $600-$1K depending in how crazy he gets. Then a nice "fluted" barrel installed by a good smith is gonna run around $750 give or take.

And...There's no such thing as a "good" Timney trigger. All Timneys suck. Go with Jewell, Bix n Andy, or Trigger Tech. So there's another $200-$400+ depending on which one he gets.

It's only money, he should build exactly what he wants once and hang onto it . Once the barrel is done simply replace it.

Going from a 338/378 to 300 WM is a bit of an adjustment, in a good way in my opinion.

I was in this same spot about a year ago(also lefty). I decided to save and buy components piece by piece. Very happy I went that route. Keep in mind if he goes With a McMillan stock it's a 4-6 month wait. Leaves time to save the money if he has the means to do so. If not there's plenty of higher end factory options he'd also be happy with. But I will add that it's a very fun process building your own.

For 2300 bucks, keep a close eye on the classifieds here. Lefties are hard to find, but they're also hard to sell. I've bought a few custom rifles here for quite a bit less than it would cost build. You don't get to pick your parts, but it can work out if your on a budget.

2300.00 won't even get you close, you just described close to a 5K rifle.

Good luck with your search.

Take the time to gather your own parts and then build. If you watch the internet you can come close. Buy discounted parts someone is selling. I have built several in that price range.

$2300 is almost impossible with custom action but $5000 is way out line too. You are either paying for name or stuff not needed on a hunting rifle. Too many people think they are snipers and have to have $300 bottom metal and six 20 rd magazines. Not needed for hunting.

Action $1400 check with PTG for blueprinted 700. They have some normally.
Barrel $325-450 if fluted
Reamer $160 buy your own
Brake $150
700 bottom metal -$70-150.
Trigger- $150-225 (IMO $400 Bix and Andy is not needed on hunting rifle). Rifle basic or timney will work. Jewell at the top end.
Stock- $200-700 (from Stockys , McMillian etc)
20 moa base $75-100

Gunsmithing should not be over $600-800 if you have all your parts. Chambering, bedding, crown and muzzle brake is all they are doing and some small parts.

The 300 win mag set up to shoot the 215-230 bullets is the way to go.

Action $1400
Barrel $500
Trigger $250
Stock $475
DBM $325
Brake $100
Gunsmith $700
Pillar Bedding $300
Metal Finish $350
Stock Finish $200

Recent Posts