Help me select a bullet for open country Elk

PhilSchmidt

We will be hunting open plains Elk in East Wyoming. I have not hunted there but my buddy who has been there several times says the shots are always 450 yards and beyond. I will be taking my 300 WinMag as well as a 30.06 for backup. I have not reloaded for these cartridges in the past and for simplicity sake would prefer to inventory just one weight bullet for both cartridges but not opposed to getting two types if it makes more sense.

Does it make sense to go with a 180 grain slug for both? I am interested in bullets that will stay together if they hit bone as well as a good BC.

Thanks for your inputs.

Phil

I've had some success with the 300WM Hornady Precision Hunter 200 ELD. It's just going to be hard for the 30-06 to compete with the ballistics of the win mag heavies.

I think many agree a 180 is the best all around choice, but for 450yd plus, I disagree.

I'm a prairie dweller and shoot 200gr accubonds out of my '06. They go a little slower than 180's (~2650fps) but the .588 BC makes up for it beyond 400yd. Even then, at prairie altitude 550yd is about max before they fall below Nosler' 1800fps threshold for expansion. They hang together pretty well, have yet to recover one.

Shooting anything < 200gr in a 300WM makes no sense to me, unless it's a monolithic.

Lots of good options out there in 30 cal!

if you're talking about buying bullets to reload for both, the 200gr LEDX would be a decent compromise for them. I run the 200 in my 300WM at around 2950fps. That'll cover you pretty well. The '06 won't be near as fast, but the bullet is designed around optimal performance at extended ranges, so they're a bit softer. I wouldn't hesitate to run it in both.

I think it does. A 181 gr Hammer Hunter bullet would get you to 700 yards in your 30-06 and farther in your Winchester Magnum. They will also work if you hit bone at 50 yards.
We are running the 181g Hammer Hunter at 3160 fps in our 300wm factory rem 26" barrel. I consider it a solid 0-900 yard performer. You should see about 2800 fps in the 06.

Steve

The Berger twist rate calculator says long bullets like the 212 Hornady ELDX will not be stabilized in my 30-06 10.25 twist rate barrel so I will go with a bullet in the 180 gr range. The Win Mag will be throwing 210 to 220 grainers.

I'm skeptical about the ELDX line when it comes to consistent match quality accuracy. What about Berger Hunting bullets performance on big animals? My experience is limited to target and varmint bullets so I need some guidance here. Terminal performance and repeatable accuracy are the performance criteria.

Thanks again in advance!

I have a 30/06 and a custom 30 caliber magnum that I've exclusively shot the 230 Berger OTM from. I've taken white tail deer at 714 and as close up as 40 yards with the old /06 and that bullet, nothing goes more than a few yards. Also taken several other deer beyond 500 yards and a handful of 200# plus feral hogs out to about 400 yards. Nothing walks away. In the other rifle it's even easier as it just shoots faster and flatter. We bang steel out to 1,400 regularly with both rifles.
Seating depth isn't a big deal. Just figure out safe pressure and send it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.