Help me select a bullet for open country Elk

For an all around elk bullet the barnes TTSX in 180 or the lrx in 175 is hard to beat. I have killed a lot of animals with them. If you hand load then you could also try the Hammer's.

57g H4350 has been good to me with 180's.

My '06 is going to get a new barrel before I do any more load development.

RL17 has been awesome with 200's. To me it looks like RL23 might be a bit compressed with 180's - thinking it has some serious potential in an AI'd case at ~3.5oacl though (can you hear the wheels turning?) :D

57g H4350 has been good to me with 180's.

My '06 is going to get a new barrel before I do any more load development.

RL17 has been awesome with 200's. To me it looks like RL23 might be a bit compressed with 180's - thinking it has some serious potential in an AI'd case at ~3.5oacl though (can you hear the wheels turning?) :D
You may be right. Rl16 was really good with 166g Hammer Hunter. Actually ran out of case before hitting pressure art 3000 fps. So 16 could be good too.

Steve

Maybe try the RL-23 just for education purposes.

I've found when confronted with no more capacity, magnum primers occasionally get a bit more out of them.

We will be hunting open plains Elk in East Wyoming. I have not hunted there but my buddy who has been there several times says the shots are always 450 yards and beyond. I will be taking my 300 WinMag as well as a 30.06 for backup. I have not reloaded for these cartridges in the past and for simplicity sake would prefer to inventory just one weight bullet for both cartridges but not opposed to getting two types if it makes more sense.

Does it make sense to go with a 180 grain slug for both? I am interested in bullets that will stay together if they hit bone as well as a good BC.

Thanks for your inputs.

Phil

This season?

And you're just now starting load workup? Interesting approach. 450 yards under field conditions can be a long poke. I've only taken a couple of elk, and none past 340 yards. The 165 gr Ballistic Tip from my 30-06 did a fine job on that one. Earlier 6x6 bull was from a 175 gr Nosler Partition/7mm Rem mag. Don't dismiss the Partition - probably not the best long range bullet, but dang, it's a killer.

I dunno... musing here. But best of luck on your hunt, and enjoy the heck out of it. I hope you get some of those delicious backstraps.

Regards, Guy

True story. This late in the game, you almost need to go factory unless you have a lot of free time to get load workups.

I'd say the 180gr Accubond.

I've had good luck with the ELD-M line, haven't shot ELD-X on game yet. Not sure the questioning of the accuracy, I've shot 338s to 2000 yards with excellent results.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.