Help me scope my .308?

ducky

Looking at a few scopes for a .308 build. I'm planning on a hunting rifle with this one, it's a M700 BDL .308 cut to 18" for use with my Omega suppressor, Greyboe Trekker stock, and TT primary trigger.

Budget $800 +/-, max magnification not to exceed 15X, weight 20 ounces +/-.

Scopes I'm looking at so far.

Used NF 3-10X42 SHV MOAR $730
Vortex Razor LHT 3-15X42 HSR-5i MRAD $800
Trijicon Credo 3-9X40 MOA PH $600

Any other scopes I should be looking at or throwing out? It needs to be in stock somewhere, I don't want to wait on a backorder optic.

I'm figuring a mid range rifle of about 600 yards max on game. I'm leaning NF, but the others have illumination and the NF doesn't. Illuminated reticle aren't a deal breaker, just a nice option. This is also a CO hunting rifle so Sig BDX and othe "smart scopes" are not legal.

I'd go NF over vortex. I had the razor you mentioned, I liked it but I'd rather have a NF. That was the only vortex I haven't had to send back. I only owned it for a shot period of time though. You could probably save up just a little longer and pick up a used 2-10 NXS. They're illuminated. As a matter of fact I just saw one in the classifieds not long ago for right around $1k Easily worth the $200 over the razor you mentioned. I have no experience with the trijicon

Do you want to dial elevation or hold?

Hold wind, I assume?

Desired min magnification?

Preference between first or second focal plane?

You have both mil and moa scopes on your initial list, do you have a preferred unit of angular measure?

I will dial if opportunity permits, otherwise I'll hold elevation and always on wind.

I'm familiar with both MOA and Mil Dot/MRAD. I have and use scopes with both measurements. The reason I have both listed is because it's what's available for the best price I've found. I also have a 1st rifle elk hunt in October, so I need the scope in short order, I can't really afford to wait 6-8 weeks on a backorder optic.

I sticking with SFP scopes all the scopes mentioned are SFP. This is why I'm staying with 15X as pretty much my top end magnification low end I'm pretty open on but 2-4X seems to be the norm.

It also doesn't matter if the scope has a 1" or 30mm main tube. I should be able to get 600 yards easily with the internal adjustment of either scope tube diameter. I however would like to keep the objective size 50mm or under.

The VX5 3-15 is generally pretty well regarded and checks all your boxes along with having some phenomenal glass for the price. Capped windage, locking elevation turret, good weight. (though there are some claims of tracking issues from folks I would not dismiss lightly... I will not wade into that other than to say I think at least part of the perception of unreliability is due to the vast number of them out there. It's an immensely popular scope.)

Zeiss V4 4-16 is similarly well regarded and very comparable to the VX5 (perhaps with a better reputation for tracking and durability). I have not used this scope as I have the VX5, but its reputation is very good.

Hope this helps!

I've looked at the VX5, but right now I can't get what I want from my supplier. So right now it's priced higher than I want to spend at other retailers. I'm trying not to go over $850 the agreed on price, we're in the middle of a kitchen remodel.

Warpig usually has vx5 for sale here frequently for very close to the price you are looking for. I bought a use one from Cody Adams last year for a little over 700 dollars... love the scope.

If your NF deal doesn't go through consider one of these. I purchased 2 of them and am thoroughly impressed. Made by LO in Japan. Class is on par with my Razor and NF SHV. It's heavier than your weight requirement though.

If your NF deal doesn't go through consider one of these. I purchased 2 of them and am thoroughly impressed. Made by LO in Japan. Class is on par with my Razor and NF SHV. It's heavier than your weight requirement though.

I'm surprised by this. I bought the 6 series of this scope. I had the 3-18 and I returned mine immediately. I thought the glass was the worst I've seen in a LOOOONG time. Maybe mine was a dud?

Looking at a few scopes for a .308 build. I'm planning on a hunting rifle with this one, it's a M700 BDL .308 cut to 18" for use with my Omega suppressor, Greyboe Trekker stock, and TT primary trigger.

Budget $800 +/-, max magnification not to exceed 15X, weight 20 ounces +/-.

Scopes I'm looking at so far.

Used NF 3-10X42 SHV MOAR $730
Vortex Razor LHT 3-15X42 HSR-5i MRAD $800
Trijicon Credo 3-9X40 MOA PH $600

Any other scopes I should be looking at or throwing out? It needs to be in stock somewhere, I don't want to wait on a backorder optic.

I'm figuring a mid range rifle of about 600 yards max on game. I'm leaning NF, but the others have illumination and the NF doesn't. Illuminated reticle aren't a deal breaker, just a nice option. This is also a CO hunting rifle so Sig BDX and othe "smart scopes" are not legal.
Sig Tango4 4-16

There is no 6 series! The glass in these scope is the same exact glass in the razor and the NF SHV. The entire scope is made by LO. The reticle sucks at 3-5 power but I never use it there so for me it's a money scope. Then newer models that are NOT 2,3 or 5 series scopes are built in the Nikon factory in the Philippines as CT bought out that factory, Nikon exited rifle scopes. Now if you're lucky enough to get a 2,3, or 5 series scope, they're all built by LO in Japan.