Help me pick cartridge

So my uncle wants me to help him build him a hunting rifle for western big game. The budget is pretty much unlimited. He wants to buy once cry once. I've got lots of ideas but would like to hear what you guys would do. This rifle would be used mostly 70% mule deer 30% elk. We live in California so we have to shot mono's in state but would like to throw heavy BC bullets out of state. Our range goes out to 1 mile and we'll shoot a lot of steel prior to our hunts. Reloading is probably not a real option because he'd rather buy a couple cases of ammo when he finds what the rifle likes best.

I'm leaning towards 6.5 PRC, 7mag, 300PRC. What would you guys suggest and what components for the build? Essentially build your dream rifle for western big game 700 yards and under.
If your Uncle is going to buy Cases of ammo...best look for something readily available when making your decision...it will avoid alot of aggregation!

300wsm is pretty easy to find ammo for too if you don't want a long action for the 300win

On the 7mag I have to say I owned but never liked the caliber. For the amount of powder that the case can hold I was underwhelmed by the performance. My 280ai is so close to my where my 7mag was with considerably less powder.

Per many other posters you have great choices in the 6.5 and 7m

I do think the 6.5prc will make it and ammo is going to start being everywhere. I think that cartridge is a safe bet. Too many good properties and a blend of ballistics, energy, available projectiles, without killer recoil

So my uncle wants me to help him build him a hunting rifle for western big game. The budget is pretty much unlimited. He wants to buy once cry once. I've got lots of ideas but would like to hear what you guys would do. This rifle would be used mostly 70% mule deer 30% elk. We live in California so we have to shot mono's in state but would like to throw heavy BC bullets out of state. Our range goes out to 1 mile and we'll shoot a lot of steel prior to our hunts. Reloading is probably not a real option because he'd rather buy a couple cases of ammo when he finds what the rifle likes best.

I'm leaning towards 6.5 PRC, 7mag, 300PRC. What would you guys suggest and what components for the build? Essentially build your dream rifle for western big game 700 yards and under.
My preference would be a 338 RUM, have had one and hunted with one for years. I enjoy hand loading so I can load whatever load it likes... so Years back I took the plunge and had one built. Full custom from Christensen Arms. When carbon wrapped barrels were kind new to the market. One of my best personal decisions I've made. This particular rifle loves 250 Accubonds, 5-shot string consistently under 1/2".. (also likes Barnes as well) I now own several carbon wrapped customs from different builders. They all are extremely accurate, light and easy to carry or pack in. My RUM has taken everything from hogs and big whitetails in Texas, to mule deer and elk on Colorado and Montana. Good luck in your decision, it's fun being involved in the build! Hope you find what y'all are looking for! Good Hunting and Shooting!

7STW, 7RemMag, 300WinMag, 300WBY

I love these threads.
The formula is to ask an unanswerable question.
That lets everyone pipe up with their pet cartridge and why it is the only choice.
Gets everyone's post count up, while the OP stays silent and buys nothing.
You could do all he wants to do with everything from a 721 in 300 H&H topped with a BalVar 5 up to a $20,000 Blaser topped with a $5000 Swaro. The former.

View attachment 198117
I feel like 99.9% of these threads are really just to settle bar bets or bench racing conversations.

The "basically no budget" and "inside of xxx yds" line is always the dead giveaway. I can count on one hand (and I dont even need all of my fingers to do it) the number of people I have met or shot with who have even attempted to shoot game outside of 300yds, even on a "Long Range" hunting forum. Unless we are talking dangerous game, you dont need a magnum to do that, and you dont even really need a long action cartridge either. This guy's "friend" would probably be ok with a 7mm-08.

Like you though, I always get a kick out of these threads. Someone got into a p**sing match with one of their hunting buddies and wants to get their post count up in the process.

I love these threads.
The formula is to ask an unanswerable question.
That lets everyone pipe up with their pet cartridge and why it is the only choice.
Gets everyone's post count up, while the OP stays silent and buys nothing.
You could do all he wants to do with everything from a 721 in 300 H&H topped with a BalVar 5 up to a $20,000 Blaser topped with a $5000 Swaro. The former.

View attachment 198117
finally

If it were me with an unlimited budget, I would buy a McWhorter custom in 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler or 300PRC.
Glass would be Nightforce, Swarovski or Zeiss. You could throw in March scopes too.

For the game you're targeting, I, personally use a 264WM, 300WM or 7STW. For Elk I generally prefer my 338, but any of the above get it done.

Cheers.
I Love my 264 Mag, and will work for Deer & Elk

If I was working with an unlimited budget I would shop gunwerks and get a complete system. Optic, rifle, and ammo tuned to the rifle.

Lots of guys on here can and will direct you on barrel, action, stock, etc... way better than me. For caliber: a lot of these, let's call em unique calibers, are great, but your uncle isn't going to find a case of SAUM ammo most anywhere and all the RUMs are about the same (and imho, no better than any WBY round, actually not as good) - I have never seen much 26, 28 30, 33 Nosler ammo on any shelves, but for what you have described and today's technology and offerings, a 300 Win w/brake is a greatthe solution. For what you have described, I use a 264 Win, 300Win, 300 Wby and 340Wby and the only one of those it is hard to find ammo for from the factory is the 340. There is actually plenty of it out there, you just won't find it at mom and pops and I almost never see it at cabela's or Sportsmen's either. Best of luck.

What ammunition setup do you like for that 264 win?

NOBODY reads,
EVERYONE types
chuckle

stilt you seem like the toughest and most knowledgeable guy in this thread. Sorry I asked a question without clearing it through you first. I thought the idea of these forums is to ask questions and create discussion. The only people trying to get their post count up is guys like you adding to this topic.

as far as the other thoughtful replies, I appreciate it. After reading through the thread it's probably going to come down to the 7mm or 300win.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.