Help me pick cartridge

The boring answer: only because good factory ammo options are a requirement it's hard to beat the tried and true 7mag and 300WM. You can find that ammo in many varieties on the shelves of any store that sells ammo.

The fun answer: since the budget is wide open I would have gunwerks build me a custom rifle, 7 SAUM sounds good for what you want but they offer multiple cartridges that fit your bill. They can tune the load to shoot the bullet you want and then make custom ammo for you ... you can get everything you need in a truly custom, one of a kind rifle.

7mm Rem mag

Action: Defiance Deviant GA Hunter
Barrel: Proof Sendero 26'' or Bartlein 3B fluted
Stock: McMillan McWoody Game Scout Edge fill or AG CAT stock Charcoal grey or black sky
Bottom metal: APA RTG, badger enhanced, or Curtis Custom bottom metal
Magazine: Curtis custom 3 round flush mag
Trigger: Timney HIT trigger
Scope: Nightforce ATACR, Vortex AMG, or Leupold MK 5HD

Brake it if wanted with Hellfire break or screw on Thunder beast ultra 7 or Sandman TI Silencer

Building one just like it but in 6.5 PRC. I went with different stock (Axial precision) and bottom metal (Sunny Hill BDL). Would have done a 7mm Rem Mag but I already have a 300 WSM that I really like and use for larger than deer game.

So my uncle wants me to help him build him a hunting rifle for western big game. The budget is pretty much unlimited. He wants to buy once cry once. I've got lots of ideas but would like to hear what you guys would do. This rifle would be used mostly 70% mule deer 30% elk. We live in California so we have to shot mono's in state but would like to throw heavy BC bullets out of state. Our range goes out to 1 mile and we'll shoot a lot of steel prior to our hunts. Reloading is probably not a real option because he'd rather buy a couple cases of ammo when he finds what the rifle likes best.

I'm leaning towards 6.5 PRC, 7mag, 300PRC. What would you guys suggest and what components for the build? Essentially build your dream rifle for western big game 700 yards and under.

From your list of chambering selection, "my" personal preference in order is .300 PRC, 7MM RM, and 6.5 PRC. Prepare yourself as this will get complicated with an overwhelming response (most of which are personal preference and intended purpose), some of which will be irrelevant to your query. 😇 This is why I never ask what to buy or build.

You know your uncle better than anyone of us and if he trusted you with the build, go with your instinct ... but that just me. Good luck!

So my uncle wants me to help him build him a hunting rifle for western big game. The budget is pretty much unlimited. He wants to buy once cry once. I've got lots of ideas but would like to hear what you guys would do. This rifle would be used mostly 70% mule deer 30% elk. We live in California so we have to shot mono's in state but would like to throw heavy BC bullets out of state. Our range goes out to 1 mile and we'll shoot a lot of steel prior to our hunts. Reloading is probably not a real option because he'd rather buy a couple cases of ammo when he finds what the rifle likes best.

I'm leaning towards 6.5 PRC, 7mag, 300PRC. What would you guys suggest and what components for the build? Essentially build your dream rifle for western big game 700 yards and under.
If I was going to build something that wasn't a heavy barrel & heavy rifle, then I would go with a 7mm cartridge. If it was going to be a big robust rifle, I would go with a big 7mm such as a 28 Nosler or entertain the idea of a 300 prc or bigger 30 cal. I like some of the big 6.5s also. Either way I'm partial to 7mm's it's a happy medium for me. Recoil is tolerable on the mag 7s to do a bit of target shooting. Excellent choice of high bc bullets. Now the 6.5s are going to be even more tolerable to do quite a bit of target shooting. A excellent choice of high bc bullets in 6.5 but 7s and 30 cals offer a touch more b.c. Big 30 cals will dominant over the 7 & 6.5 in terminal performance. I just don't shoot my big 30 cal as much as I do my 7s & 6.5s

Thanks for recommendations keep them coming. I'm thinking the plain Jane fast twist 7mag might be the best blend of capability and shootability.

Components list:
Lone Peak fuzion ti
Bartlien carbon 24in 1:8
Mesa Precision Altitude stock
Hawkins DBM
Bix n Andy tacsport
Vortex razor LHT
Seekins rings

I'm definitely open to more options. I value a lot of your real world experiences. I've learned a lot on this site!!

Now that we're getting higher BC bullets for the .277, why not throw a .270 Win or a 270 WSM in the mix? Build your gun with a fast twist and shoot either off the shelf lower BC or pay Hendershot or someone else to load you up the newer bullets? I would imagine with the new bullets coming out you will get to .280 Rem performance out of the .270 Win.

Another option would be a 7mm Wby. More power than the 7mm RM and better barrel life than the 7mm STW or 28 N.

I'm assuming that since there is no limit on the build budget, there would be no limit on the ammunition budget.

With reloading not being an option I would think hard about a 7mm rem mag or a 300 win mag your factory ammo options are almost limitless and either one is very capable

If you are not reloading, I would stick with a 300 wm or 7 rm, I much prefer the 300 wm for availability of ammo and 30 cal bullets for handloads.

It's still difficult to find factory 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC in Walmart or readily available in any box stores.

I observed a 6.5 PRC shoot last weekend and was less than impressed, take a look at the "Real Gunsmith" videos on YouTube about the 300 and 6.5 PRC.

I shoot the 6.5PRC and love it. I also shoot the 260, 6.5 Creed, 6.5x284N, .264WM, 6.5x300WSM, and 6.5-06. I shoot the PRC as a short action and it delivers real snot-knocker performance with heavies from a handier platform. It is devastating with bullets like the 140Gr Partition or 130 Grain Scirocco to 600. To e it is the best 6.5 since the Swede and the .264WM.

The "real gunsmith" is an idiot. If he says something and gets 20 people to back him up, I'm still looking for a 21'st opinion.

I think mail order ammo is fine for a hunting rifle. You are probably not going to do much target shooting so it's easy to stock up with a couple hundred rounds and restock when you fall much below 100. This makes me think 300PRC is a good choice. When you are going to shoot a mile and want the power to take large North American game at 700 yards, I think .30 is going to be better on game at 700 yards and PRC will get you to a mile pretty easy.

300WM might be good also. I shy away from it because of the belted case and i would want to reload. Your situation might make ammo availability be a bigger factor.

The "real gunsmith" is an idiot. If he says something and gets 20 people to back him up, I'm still looking for a 21'st opinion.

I think mail order ammo is fine for a hunting rifle. You are probably not going to do much target shooting so it's easy to stock up with a couple hundred rounds and restock when you fall much below 100. This makes me think 300PRC is a good choice. When you are going to shoot a mile and want the power to take large North American game at 700 yards, I think .30 is going to be better on game at 700 yards and PRC will get you to a mile pretty easy.

300WM might be good also. I shy away from it because of the belted case and i would want to reload. Your situation might make ammo availability be a bigger factor.

I have to laugh because I think the "real gunsmith" is a joke. Don't get me wrong he knows a lot about guns but it feels like he's made that technology is surpassing him.

Yeah I love the idea of the 300 PRC for the fun we can have shooting steel at a mile. I have a 28 nos and it gets out to a mile fairly easy but I reload and my uncle has zero interest. He's basically going to shoot this gun 100-150 times a year before hunting season then go on 3-4 hunts a year. My debate is the 6.5prc would be enjoyable to shoot from a recoil standpoint and ballistics look awesome, especially in elk and deer country. I've personally seen the 6.5prc take a mule deer at 840 yard one shot kill.

300 win mag is a great choice if you are not reloading. No issues with case separation with factory ammo (I've never had one). Handloading for the 300 PRC would be reasonable enough. The 300 PRC makes no sense to me to mail order the ammo when there are few ammunition options and better calibers available. Midway USA only offers (1) for hunting ammo: Hornady PH 212 gr eld-x. Often, these will be sold out and challenging to find. Even the 300 Weatherby would be a better choice if $$$ are not a concern and...the Real Gunsmith says the 300 Weatherby is the ultimate elk rifle caliber!!! lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.