Help me pick an action to build off of

Which action would you go with for a 300 terminator?

• Total voters

Rifleman97

Decided I'm going to use stimulus money to get an action to build off of. I've decided I want a 300 terminator, which is basically a 300 lapua improved with a defensive edge throat for those who don't know. I have had a defiance action before and I *really* liked it, and I prefer the bare metal finish they come with. However, after some chats with Jeff Broz, he recommends getting an action that has a 1.1 tenon instead of 1.0625.

My requirements (must haves) in no order
  • Integral Recoil lug
  • .725 or larger bolt
  • Under lets say $1500 before tax, I'm not looking for any titanium actions.
My "nice to haves" in order from most important to least important
  • 1.1 tenon
  • Integral rail with at 20 or more moa built in
  • Bare metal finish (not at all necessary I just prefer that look, and the ability to coat it whatever color I want later. Not at all a dealbreaker)
I'm aware that theres probably actions that fit my description that I'm not thinking of or haven't heard of, so comment those down below.

Answers to the basic questions every thread starter is asked:
  • Goal weight is 10-13 pounds unscoped. Closer to 10 is nice but wouldn't mind if its 13, but no higher than 14.
  • Use case will be long range elk and mule deer
  • Barrel will probably weigh around 5.5-6 pounds if I go steel barrel, but I could go carbon if the action gets too heavy.
  • Stock will be manners EH1-A
  • The gun will be shot as a single shot. Doesn't matter if the action is sold as one or not, I'll just single feed, so magazine length isnt a big deal.
  • I'm not recoil sensitive but I will be putting on a good brake to be able to more easily spot my own shots.
I will be adding suggestions to the poll as they come in. I'm aware almost every action is good nowadays which is why it makes it a hard pick for me. Very much splitting hairs as to what action comes with what features that I need and want. Is there really that big of a difference in "security" that .0375 makes the difference between safe and unsafe? Or is 1.1 tenon simply a peace of mind thing? I've never heard of a tenon size being the issue of a blow up, so maybe its just a weight of the barrel causing accuracy issues if its too small? Let me know your guys' experience/opinions. I dont know anything about the effects of tenon size and I want to learn.

Last edited:
I haven't owned all the actions, but have MOA, Borden, and a Deviant Hunter in process. As highly respected as defiance is I wouldn't hesitate to build off of them. I'd buy a Deviant Hunter or Anti-X, depending on weight, and not think twice.
That's what I was thinking. I used to have a Deviant GA hunter in a smaller caliber and it was definitely the best action I've ever owned. The reason I have the anti X higher on my list, despite deviant having more action options, is the guaranteed headspace. So when I get close to needing a new barrel I can just order one instead of having to wait til my barrel is shot out and send in the action. But... I definitely wouldn't mind trying something new. I've never shot a terminus action and it was highly recommended by Jeff Broz and Ryan Furman over the defiance, so it might be worth a try.

Look at Bat Actions
Can you list a specific action? I did a quick browse through their website and didn't find any actions like I was looking for

edit: maybe you meant the HR? Just found that one, looks pretty close to what I want, but it seems like the side port is short, at only 3.5 inches? The terminator is nearly 4" long loaded to the lands so it might be a bit too short. I added it to the list, hopefully if I go with that, the angle that it ejects at will be enough to counteract the short side port when unloading a loaded round.

Last edited:
Of the ones you listed I go Definace. I chose the GA hunter for a bit more weight but if you want it light the anti is the way to go. I just picked up my anti (not the x) yesterday and love it.

Can you list a specific action? I did a quick browse through their website and didn't find any actions like I was looking for

edit: maybe you meant the HR? Just found that one, looks pretty close to what I want, but it seems like the side port is short, at only 3.5 inches? The terminator is nearly 4" long loaded to the lands so it might be a bit too short. I added it to the list, hopefully if I go with that, the angle that it ejects at will be enough to counteract the short side port when unloading a loaded round.
Yes was referring to the HR. When I had my 300 Norma Improved built I was on a tight budget and went with a Kelbly Atlas . It is a very good action at a reasonable price.

Decided I'm going to use stimulus money to get an action to build off of. I've decided I want a 300 terminator, which is basically a 300 lapua improved with a defensive edge throat for those who don't know. I have had a defiance action before and I *really* liked it, and I prefer the bare metal finish they come with. However, after some chats with Jeff Broz, he recommends getting an action that has a 1.1 tenon instead of 1.0625.

My requirements (must haves) in no order
  • Integral Recoil lug
  • .725 or larger bolt
  • Under lets say $1500 before tax, I'm not looking for any titanium actions.
My "nice to haves" in order from most important to least important
  • 1.1 tenon
  • Integral rail with at 20 or more moa built in
  • Bare metal finish (not at all necessary I just prefer that look, and the ability to coat it whatever color I want later. Not at all a dealbreaker)
I'm aware that theres probably actions that fit my description that I'm not thinking of or haven't heard of, so comment those down below.

Answers to the basic questions every thread starter is asked:
  • Goal weight is 10-13 pounds unscoped. Closer to 10 is nice but wouldn't mind if its 13, but no higher than 14.
  • Use case will be long range elk and mule deer
  • Barrel will probably weigh around 5.5-6 pounds if I go steel barrel, but I could go carbon if the action gets too heavy.
  • Stock will be manners EH1-A
  • The gun will be shot as a single shot. Doesn't matter if the action is sold as one or not, I'll just single feed, so magazine length isnt a big deal.
  • I'm not recoil sensitive but I will be putting on a good brake to be able to more easily spot my own shots.
I will be adding suggestions to the poll as they come in. I'm aware almost every action is good nowadays which is why it makes it a hard pick for me. Very much splitting hairs as to what action comes with what features that I need and want. Is there really that big of a difference in "security" that .0375 makes the difference between safe and unsafe? Or is 1.1 tenon simply a peace of mind thing? I've never heard of a tenon size being the issue of a blow up, so maybe its just a weight of the barrel causing accuracy issues if its too small? Let me know your guys' experience/opinions. I dont know anything about the effects of tenon size and I want to learn.
My opinion is any custom action will be good. They are mostly of Remington design. It's like Ford, Chevy,Dodge all a matter of personal preference and him many $$$$ you want to put on the table

My opinion is any custom action will be good. They are mostly of Remington design. It's like Ford, Chevy,Dodge all a matter of personal preference and him many $$$$ you want to put on the table
Exactly..in today's world nearly all custom a ton are so close it's just personal Preference. Once you go past 1500 on an action they all start getting real good and pretty close in quality. They all use pretty much the same type of machines to make them.So then it comes down to the man running the machines and the craftsmanship assembling the action.

I'm no gunsmith and don't have any personal experience on the matter, so what I say is just secondhand knowledge. But from what I have read, I believe the larger tenon diameter is beneficial to the Lapua sized cases in that it adds back the diameter that the case diameter takes away thereby making both the barrel and action stronger, and potentially allowing the action to handle more pressure. I don't just mean maximum pressure it can take but how much pressure you can run up with reloads before seeing pressure signs. This would increase the performance you would see out of the round. I do know that my custom actions seem to allow much higher pressures with the same cartridges than loose factory actions, and I would think the larger bolt diameter combined with a larger tenon would allow the same compared to a standard size factory action. Again I don't have a experience with this but it's something to do some research on to see if that advantage is there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.