Help me pick an action to build off of

Which action would you go with for a 300 terminator?

• Total voters
Have you looked at the Bighorn actions?
The TL3 would be the only one I'm interested in, and when I was looking at it on their website there was no option for a lapua bolt face or a larger than .700 bolt. I've heard great things about bighorn but that action just isn't as beefy for a lapua improved as the others on the list. If I ever build another small caliber custom, I plan on using bighorn for their affordable prices and great quality however.

I'm no gunsmith and don't have any personal experience on the matter, so what I say is just secondhand knowledge. But from what I have read, I believe the larger tenon diameter is beneficial to the Lapua sized cases in that it adds back the diameter that the case diameter takes away thereby making both the barrel and action stronger, and potentially allowing the action to handle more pressure. I don't just mean maximum pressure it can take but how much pressure you can run up with reloads before seeing pressure signs. This would increase the performance you would see out of the round. I do know that my custom actions seem to allow much higher pressures with the same cartridges than loose factory actions, and I would think the larger bolt diameter combined with a larger tenon would allow the same compared to a standard size factory action. Again I don't have a experience with this but it's something to do some research on to see if that advantage is there.
Well said.Other than personal experience Education is one of the next best things.Thanks

Decided I'm going to use stimulus money to get an action to build off of. I've decided I want a 300 terminator, which is basically a 300 lapua improved with a defensive edge throat for those who don't know. I have had a defiance action before and I *really* liked it, and I prefer the bare metal finish they come with. However, after some chats with Jeff Broz, he recommends getting an action that has a 1.1 tenon instead of 1.0625.

My requirements (must haves) in no order
  • Integral Recoil lug
  • .725 or larger bolt
  • Under lets say $1500 before tax, I'm not looking for any titanium actions.
My "nice to haves" in order from most important to least important
  • 1.1 tenon
  • Integral rail with at 20 or more moa built in
  • Bare metal finish (not at all necessary I just prefer that look, and the ability to coat it whatever color I want later. Not at all a dealbreaker)
I'm aware that theres probably actions that fit my description that I'm not thinking of or haven't heard of, so comment those down below.

Answers to the basic questions every thread starter is asked:
  • Goal weight is 10-13 pounds unscoped. Closer to 10 is nice but wouldn't mind if its 13, but no higher than 14.
  • Use case will be long range elk and mule deer
  • Barrel will probably weigh around 5.5-6 pounds if I go steel barrel, but I could go carbon if the action gets too heavy.
  • Stock will be manners EH1-A
  • The gun will be shot as a single shot. Doesn't matter if the action is sold as one or not, I'll just single feed, so magazine length isnt a big deal.
  • I'm not recoil sensitive but I will be putting on a good brake to be able to more easily spot my own shots.
I will be adding suggestions to the poll as they come in. I'm aware almost every action is good nowadays which is why it makes it a hard pick for me. Very much splitting hairs as to what action comes with what features that I need and want. Is there really that big of a difference in "security" that .0375 makes the difference between safe and unsafe? Or is 1.1 tenon simply a peace of mind thing? I've never heard of a tenon size being the issue of a blow up, so maybe its just a weight of the barrel causing accuracy issues if its too small? Let me know your guys' experience/opinions. I dont know anything about the effects of tenon size and I want to learn.
buy a BAT with 20 min integral rail but it will cost around 1750.00 thats what i put on my 338 Lapua

I have had MANY custom actions and rifles and must admit we have a gluten of choices of excellent actions. I just dont belive for a hunting rifle you have to have the overbuilt actions with a built in recoil lug. They are nice, dont get me wrong, but its hard to beat a Stiller on a hunting rifle without having to spend the extra money.....that being said, there is no bad choice.

Well I wouldn't bother with any of the lightweight versions of an action, especially if it is a few dollars more. If you are aiming in the 11-13 pound range no point in paying to save a couple ounces in the action.
After the experience with my Terminus action I would go with another one of Joel's actions without hesitation.

I have had MANY custom actions and rifles and must admit we have a gluten of choices of excellent actions. I just dont belive for a hunting rifle you have to have the overbuilt actions with a built in recoil lug. They are nice, dont get me wrong, but its hard to beat a Stiller on a hunting rifle without having to spend the extra money.....that being said, there is no bad choice.

While having an integrated lug isn't required to make the gun strong enough, it's certainly a nice enough feature to me to pay extra for. The nice thing with modern guns is overbuilt actions don't weigh too much, and don't cost too much more than light duty actions. Something to remember is a SAAMI 338 lapua is often considered too big of cartridge for a standard 700 action, and the round I'll be using will have a good chunk more powder capacity than the standard lapua. If for nothing else than peace of mind, it's worth it to have an overbuilt action to me. This will be my first all out build I've done, and I want it to be as top of the line as I can get in my budget. Not going to be a 10k gun, but with the other parts I've picked out I can afford up to 1500 for the action, so why skimp if I don't have to? The terminus lite is a pretty well overbuilt action and only weighs 27 ounces p
Well I wouldn't bother with any of the lightweight versions of an action, especially if it is a few dollars more. If you are aiming in the 11-13 pound range no point in paying to save a couple ounces in the action.
After the experience with my Terminus action I would go with another one of Joel's actions without hesitation.
The main reason I like the terminus lite is the same reason I like the Anti X and the GA hunter. I don't care for having the rail go above the top of the open part of the action. It makes it a little easier to load a single round in a hurry in a rare instance I'd need a follow up shot, and I think it looks nicer. It's usually not too much more expensive, the cost is just from extra machine time. You're absolutely right, It's not necessary so I didn't even list it, but it's just a mild appearance preference of mine.

Easy route would be to pick up a Savage 300WSM -for the action.
Magnum tenon, controlled round push feed, standing blade ejection.
BAT can do the same.

Unless you're swapping barrels often then an integrated recoil lug means absolutely nothing. Same with the larger tenon. Basically the equivalent of a giant blow up gorilla in front of a car dealership.

I am definitely a fan of several of these receivers, particularly BAT & Defiance. I have personally built several super magnums on both-i.e. 375 & 408 CheyTac along with some Allen Magnums, sorted Lapua variants - BAT is at the top of my list for single shot with a coned bolt face and breech at 25 degrees- no feed issues whatsoever.
One receiver that is not mentioned is CADEX from CADEX Defense- 50 degree bolt throw, 22 degree breech face, well within your budget- VERY solid receiver- if you don't mind Canadien made. Worth a look!! You may want to go with a receiver that is set up with 1 1/8" x 16 or 18 TPI rather than 1 1/16 x 16 TPI, and use a 1.250 barrel shank for your purposes.

I am definitely a fan of several of these receivers, particularly BAT & Defiance. I have personally built several super magnums on both-i.e. 375 & 408 CheyTac along with some Allen Magnums, sorted Lapua variants - BAT is at the top of my list for single shot with a coned bolt face and breech at 25 degrees- no feed issues whatsoever.
One receiver that is not mentioned is CADEX from CADEX Defense- 50 degree bolt throw, 22 degree breech face, well within your budget- VERY solid receiver- if you don't mind Canadien made. Worth a look!! You may want to go with a receiver that is set up with 1 1/8" x 16 or 18 TPI rather than 1 1/16 x 16 TPI, and use a 1.250 barrel shank for your purposes.
Your comment about the tenon size is why most of the actions listed are 1.1 or 1.12 tenon. And almost all of them have the option for 1.25 shank, or have it standard.

Tell me about the cone bolt face though, I have absolutely no idea what difference a cone vs flat bolt face makes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.