Help me pick a scope

+1

I have a Monarch 4-16X50mm Side Focus that is perfect for what you are looking for. Will only cost you a little more than half of your $800 Cabelas bucks too. Every rifle I own wears a Nikon Monarch. For the price I don't think they can be beat.

I ran a couple of the Monarchs for a few years. I thought the optical quality was in fact, outstanding. The reason I no longer have those two particular optics is the turrets on the models I had were in 1/8moa adjustment... 25moa to 1k= 200 clicks... lol yeah, not my cup of tea. :D

For the guy who doesn't dial much, they rock, seriously. For a guy looking to extend his practice & skill level; I can't recommend the Monarch, at least the ones I had.

t

Not as good of optics as the Swaro but a Zeiss Conquest with the Z600 reticle would be where I'd look. Use their software to determine exactly how the reticle fits your loads and spend the rest of the money on a top notch range finder.

Not as good of optics as the Swaro but a Zeiss Conquest with the Z600 reticle would be where I'd look. Use their software to determine exactly how the reticle fits your loads and spend the rest of the money on a top notch range finder.

I like the Z600 a lot. My next optic is going to be a Razor or an HS-T from Vortex, but the follow up will likely be either a Conquest.

I ran a couple of the Monarchs for a few years. I thought the optical quality was in fact, outstanding. The reason I no longer have those two particular optics is the turrets on the models I had were in 1/8moa adjustment... 25moa to 1k= 200 clicks... lol yeah, not my cup of tea. :D

For the guy who doesn't dial much, they rock, seriously. For a guy looking to extend his practice & skill level; I can't recommend the Monarch, at least the ones I had.

t

The biggest Monarch I have is the 4-16X50mm Side Focus. It has 1/4 minute clicks and has been very true in box tests etc. I dial with it all the time. I'm not looking for ELR type rig though. Pretty much follow John Burns advice from the old Best of The West how to videos. I have a 4-16 power scope on a 7mm Remington Magnum and shoot either the 150 ETips here in California or the 168 Berger VLD if I ever go out of state.

1/8 MOA clicks would be a complete deal breaker on a hunting rifle for me as well. For a target scope I could see the value but I'm not too in to target shooting.

Now I'm going to rethink the Nikon 4X16-50 SF Monarch. Son's 300 WinMag needs more power so this thread has been a must read for me. Midway puts them on sale regularly.

KB

Now I'm going to rethink the Nikon 4X16-50 SF Monarch. Son's 300 WinMag needs more power so this thread has been a must read for me. Midway puts them on sale regularly.

KB

It's been a fantastic scope for the price. Like I said I had a dust nib in mine that I could only see on 4 power. I got one of the new Monarch 3's and liked the re-settable turrets so I decided to contact Nikon to see if they could swap out my old turrets for the new style and while I was at it I mentioned the dust nib. They gave me a shipping number and about a week later a brand new Monarch 3 showed up as a replacement. No receipt, no warranty cards, no hassle!

I bought all of my scopes from Black Bear Sporting Goods which had some amazing deals on scopes. A good deal cheaper ($50-$100) than anywhere else I ever saw online. About a week after I got my last one I noticed that they no longer sell Nikon or several other brands they had before. Don't know if they got in trouble or just couldn't sustain those low prices. Glad I got mine while I did though.

Take a look at Nikon's new PROSTAFF 5 4.5-14 BDC reticle scope. Right now it is under a Promo that Cabela's is participating in. Save some $ and get a heck of a scope. That .300 will reach out there and the BDC reticle will give you the accuracy to make that long range shot when you dial it all in with Spot On. Saving $110 bucks will give you extra $ for some good med. 1 inch rings to mount your scope.

Nikon Promo - Your source for Exclusive Nikon Promotions, Nikon Discounts, Nikon Deals, and More.

I'm looking for the same info here. I want to get the Best scope that I can for my Gun. .264 win mag going to use it for Antelope hunting and long range steel shooting(as far as I can shoot)
I have Nikon Monarchs on my elk gun(.300winmag)and my .223.
I guess my question is directed to
Bman940
Is Nikon's 30MOA of internal adjustment going to be enough for me to shoot long distances with my .264 win mag? I'm looking at the (6-24x50 monarch)

Thanks

JM, I assume that you would also have a 20 moa base which will help you significantly with longrange shooting. Sadly, even with that 20 MOA base using the 6-24x50 scope with 30 MOA of adjustment gives you 15 MOA elevation. Add the base and you have 35 MOA or enough to reach roughly 725 yards. It just depends if that is enough distance for you or you want to try and go a grand? I did a Spot On print out for you to look at, I imagine it's pretty close to the numbers you would get even with hand loads.

ScreenShot2014-05-22at70635PM.png

Bman940,
Thanks for the info. Thats what I came up with when I did the same program. I probably can't shoot past that point right now, but would like to at some point. I would like to only buy 1 scope. I was hoping that there was a way to get more MOA out of the Nikon.

Bart,
I ordered the tall turrets from Nikon, I just got them in today. They didn't send tall covers for them, where can I get the tall covers?

I would seriously look at the 4-16x50 if the 1/8 MOA clicks are going to limit you that much. Sounds like more of a mid range target scope than a long range hunting scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.