Help me pick a scope, Bushnell Elite or Leupold VXI or Nikon

Which scope would be best for .300 win mag.

• Leupold VXI

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Bushnell 3200 Elite Series

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • Nikon Monarch

Votes: 84 61.8%

• Total voters

shocker45

alright i have a Savage .300 win mag.

so i need a scope thats going to handle the recoil, now i have people stronly recommending the leupold to me, but the way im looking at it. should i get the high end Bushnell elite, or the low end leupold?. which would be better lol. the rifle is going to be used for a lot of 500ish yard target shooting. thats my goal anyways.

heres my the ones i have picked out.

Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40
Leupold VX-I 4-12x40
Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12x40 AO Riflescope

im leaning towards the bushnell or the leupold, the bushnell is huge, but i kinda like it, but i think the leupold might be better.

these are the ones i was looking at in my price range, i cant for the life of me make up my mind.

Let me know, which would be best and why, thanks. im very new to long range shooting.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
thankyou for voting, but can anyone elaborate on their choices? i am very new to this and totally clueless.

hey i have nikons and the elites but the ones i have were made by bausch and lomb but as far as i know they are the same scope and i did the same comparison with the leupolds and i prefer the elites over the the VXI and VXII and i know most will disagree but i had the opportunity try both for two days before i had to buy one, there is a good write up about the elites on this site as well.

k well i have been reading for hours, i think i have made a decision.

Leupold Vx-i Leupold is leading class name, but there entry level stuff does not seem up to part in the same price range as the nikon and elite. so thats out.

between the Nikon and the Bushnell, it seems like i could basically toss a coin, both seem to be able to handle the shock of a magnum, and both have the adj parralax.

the bushnell is bigger and heavier, but has more zoom.
the Nikon takes in more light, 95% compared to 93% of the elite.
there eye relief is virtually identical.

the elite comes with a lens shade, which puts the overall length of the scope @ 20" which just seems rediculous to me, lol so i would never use it unless im in desperate need.

givin everything said, i think ill be mounting a Bushnell 3200 elite, 5-15x with the firefly reticule on my rifle tommorow. it seems to be a pretty solid choice, and i really like the added zoom over the nikon.

if anyone has a different opinion or if i overlooked something let me know.

k, all done.

went down today and my new scope is on the gun

Nikon Monarch 4x12 power. very nice looking glass, very bright, and crystal clear. going to sight it in on saturday, ill see how it performs.

thanks for your votes.

very good choice. I have had the monarch, buckmaster, and the Prostaff. I would put my monarch up against a LP VX III for clairity anyday much less the VXI.

I personally would go with the Nikon Monarch. You are going to get a better scope optically than the other two, plus the Nikon will be shorter than the Bushnell and positive clicks compared to the friction adjustments in the Leupold.

You had me worried..........then I saw that you went with the Monarch. It is heads above the others you mentioned. I have used them on several of my rifles for years now.

I just got one of the new Monarch's from the Optic Zone a few weeks ago. They are sweet!! By the way.......the prices on the Monarch's at OZ are a real steal right now!!

Bob

k, all done.

went down today and my new scope is on the gun

Nikon Monarch 4x12 power. very nice looking glass, very bright, and crystal clear. going to sight it in on saturday, ill see how it performs.

thanks for your votes.

Which reticle did you get? I am interested in the BDC, but I wish the circles werer smaller.

alright i have a Savage .300 win mag.

so i need a scope thats going to handle the recoil, now i have people stronly recommending the leupold to me, but the way im looking at it. should i get the high end Bushnell elite, or the low end leupold?. which would be better lol. the rifle is going to be used for a lot of 500ish yard target shooting. thats my goal anyways.

heres my the ones i have picked out.

Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40
Leupold VX-I 4-12x40
Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12x40 AO Riflescope

im leaning towards the bushnell or the leupold, the bushnell is huge, but i kinda like it, but i think the leupold might be better.

these are the ones i was looking at in my price range, i cant for the life of me make up my mind.

Let me know, which would be best and why, thanks. im very new to long range shooting.

Thanks for your help.

This is what I bought:

Estimated price on website:
SN 3 3.2-17
# ERGO - Standard - Standard Option
# 44mm Low Profile - Standard Option
# 30mm - Standard Option
# Matte Black - Std - Standard Option
# US#3 Metric elevation and windage
# Mil-Scale MPR
# 11 *** Rheostat (Red)
# Standard Housing - Standard Option
# Rapid Focus - Standard Option

Sheckie

High power scope selection

thankyou for voting, but can anyone elaborate on their choices? i am very new to this and totally clueless.

The higher the power the higher qiuality the optics you need. The lower quality gear has average manufacturing tolerances on glass lenses and this is important when above 10X. US/German gear is built rugged. If you are shooting in the hills versus shooting at the range even more important that optics are quality and robust to handle the knocks. I've use Leupold, Kharls, Burris and mate has Swaroshki.

Liked the 30mm Burris euro diamond had as good a night view as the Kharls scope and better than the Leupold vari 111.

Same rule applies to binnoculars el cheapo are hopeless at longer range and in poor light don't believe the blurb sheets.

Sell the wife and spend a dollar on good optics you will never regret that decision.

I tested 4 scopes side by side a while ago. They were the leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40sf, Mk4 4.5-14x50sf, Nikon monarch gold 2.5-10x44sf, bushnell elite 3200 5-15x40 tactical AO.

I was testing the clarity and light gathering of each, not recoil performance, but I'll share what I found.

Testing was conducted at 125 yards using a near by tree line as my target. I wanted to see what difference these scopes would have in the image color quality and difinition/resolution at different levels of daylight.
I tested at 5x and 10x.
All the scopes proformed equally well, giving proper colors of the leaves (this was durring the fall, so I had several different colors to choose from). Durring the last 10 minutes of the testing (as daylight was diminishing) the bushnell could no longer give good detail/difinition on the leaves and twigs, only the nikon and leupold with the 50mm odjective continued to preform well. At the end it was a toss up between which was better the Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50sf or Nikon gold monarch 2.5-10x44sf.

All of these have proven to me to track well at the range durring box testing. I like the nikons adjustments the best, they just seem to "click and feel" better than the others. If only I could swap out the turrets and covers with a exposed turret like my other tacticals have.....

For the money I think Nikon is the way to go. But if you are not shooting in low light conditions the bushnell is just as good. But thats just my 2 cents...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.