Help me pick a new scope.

i would look at the zeiss conquest scopes in the varible to 25 power ! i have that on my coyote guns and it is a much better scope than others ive tried and cost is good too !
I'm looking for variable power, first focal plain scope with a top end of 20x to 25x. It's going to go on a X-bolt in 25-06. The rifle is used for hunting deer and coyotes, as far as my ability allows. This is my favorite rifle to shoot so it sees target use also. It will be used along side a sig Kilo 2400ABS.
I want good repeatability in the adjustments. I'm trying to stay around $1000 mark. I've been looking at the Burris Veracity line and the Vortex Viper line but I'm completely open to your suggestions on your favorite. Don't forget to tell me why they're your favorite as I have limited experience buying this kind of optics and I have lots to learn.

I'm looking for variable power, first focal plain scope with a top end of 20x to 25x. It's going to go on a X-bolt in 25-06. The rifle is used for hunting deer and coyotes, as far as my ability allows. This is my favorite rifle to shoot so it sees target use also. It will be used along side a sig Kilo 2400ABS.
I want good repeatability in the adjustments. I'm trying to stay around $1000 mark. I've been looking at the Burris Veracity line and the Vortex Viper line but I'm completely open to your suggestions on your favorite. Don't forget to tell me why they're your favorite as I have limited experience buying this kind of optics and I have lots to learn.
Check out Tract Optics. Great quality, ED glass, zero stop, fair price. Buy online. If you don't like it send it back.

I I would get the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2. Why? It's at your $1000 dollar mark. It has 70 MOA's of elevation with a locking turret. Illuminated

I I would get the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 FFP. Why? It's at your $1000 dollar mark. It has 70 MOA's of elevation with a locking turret. Illuminated reticle with hash marks to help with quick hold over and/or windage hold off. A warranty that is second to none. Get this scope with a 20 MOA rail and your good for over a mile.

I would look at the Bushnell Forge. I don't know about low light, but my buddy just got one and it has above average glass, very positive clicks, and a zero stop. I'm thinking about trying one myself.

The Leupold VX-3i line comes in First Focal Plane MOA and MRAD versions. They are all in your price range. They are built on a field proven design. We have had 4-5 6.5-20 VX3s that have been used for long range Coues deer hunting and long range Prairie Dog shooting for years. Never had one miss track. Leupold are assembled in the US in Oregon. It's the best lifetime warranty you'll never use. , Or you can pop for a Chinese built scope and use it's lifetime warranty to get it repaired in the US.

Vortex or Leopold

I'd add a weaver tactical into the mix. I love the reticle on it because it has a little gap in the middle instead of a dot or crosshairs. The 3-15 is less than your target 1000 price range & my son's lived on his Rem700 SPS tactical .308 for 1000 or so rounds and then on his 7mag for a few hundred now. I think they also have a 4-20 power one now too.

Might I suggest If you are using this scope mainly for varmints and coyotes use a 2nd focal plane. The reason being, most ffp cross hairs will be tiny at low power and hard to see in low light conditions where sfp scopes are very visible under low light conditions. Plus sfp scopes for hunting will normally be substantially less expensive. Call Athlon customer service to give you recommendations for your needs and price points.

Last edited:
Might I suggest If you are using this scope mainly for varmints and coyotes use a 2nd focal plane. The reason being ffp cross hairs will be tiny at low power and hard to see in low light conditions where sfp scopes are very visible under low light conditions. Plus sfp scopes for hunting will normally be substantially less expensive.
Mostly deer and target with a little coyote/varmint use.

Right now cabellas has a awesome deal on Leupold AR 3x9x40 Firedot TMR with milldot 249.99
I bought one yesterday Great Scope for that price. Onsell till fathers day or until the sell out.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts