Help me pick a new LRF

Orange Dust

Looks like my well used and trusted 1600B grew wings and flew out of my shooting bag. Guess I should have kept the lid zipped so it couldn't fly off... Puts me in the market for a new one. Things have changed a bunch since I bought the 1600. I have always used it with Shooter. Cheap app that is easy to use and spot on when trued. This brings me to my asking for help. Do I stay with what I know, or go new school? I've been looking at the G7BR2500, KILO2400ABS, Lecia CRF2800.com. I will admit I'm better with reloading than computers. Shooter was easy to learn. These?? I am also just considering staying with Shooter and getting a Leica 2700B. Be gently guys, remember I am old. I do like Lecia, small beam and great optics.

Not really sure but I think you can put basic ballistics in the 2800 and use your app as needed. That would be my way to go.

The G7/BR's aren't really new school. I've been using it with outstanding results for over eight years. I couldn't imagine of going back to a RF/APP combo for LRH.
Also own an original Terrapin, the new TerrapinX/Kestral 5700, Leica Geovid, and Sig 2400. All work well, and produce identical ranges, tested out to 1350 yards. The ballistic outputs of the G7, TerrapinX/Kestral, and Sig 2400 produce drop and wind outputs that are within 1 click to this range when programmed the same. Choice comes down to personal preferences/application.

Last edited:
The G7/BR's aren't really new school. I've been using it with outstanding results for over eight years. I couldn't imagine of going back to a RF/APP combo for LRH.
I've never thought I needed that because of the way I hunt nowadays. Haven't been out West in years. We hunt deer in big beanfields. The land is dead flat, so there are no uphill, downhill to contend with, and the wind almost always lays in late afternoon. What little wind there is usually blows in the same direction across the flat ground. You have all the time in the world for a long shot at a calm, feeding animal usually, and a dead solid rest. Using a combo seldom is an issue except during the rut when the bucks are moving and not feeding. However, using three devices, LRF, wind meter, and phone is cumbersome, and I think I am going to try and eliminate one of them. I know the three mentioned above are good units. The Leica will interface with a kestrel with AB, and I know the RF part of it is top notch. I haven't worked with the software of any of them, and that's what I am most interested in. The price is close enough on all three that it doesn't matter.

I've used the Sig Kilo 2400 for the past couple of years (since this article: https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/sig-sauer-kilo-2400-abs-ballistic-rangefinder-review.1097/) and it works great for me. I've only shot animals out to 500 with it, but steel out to 1400. But, if I were buying again today, I might go with the new Leica RF binos, and eliminate one more piece of gear. Have not researched that option yet. You can have 4 rifles loaded in the Kilo, which if you are hunting with friends and family, can be very useful.

Overkill?
No such thing. They're the only thing that's ever returned useful results for me in super bright direct overhead sunlight against uncooperative targets over 1.2km away much less all the way to cow size targets at 6+km or grassy hillsides at 12km. They do more than just identify distance to a target from your current position. You can identify distance to a target from a different location with them and they're really quite good binoculars on their own. You can usually find a used set for around 10 grand. C'mon, we're all made of pure money right? hehe.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts