Help me pick a cartridge

Just did a quick look on MidwayUSA (as they usually have a good selection of ammo), they have 12 types of ammo for the 7mm WSM and 36 for the 270 WSM. Not trying to tell you witch way to go, but I really think you should try bedding the action and free floating the barrel. If it still wont shoot the way you would like it to then switch the barrel. It wont hurt and you would all ready have your action bedded.

Quick answer to your question is 300 WSM.

If it were my rifle:

I would put a real good muzzle brake/compensator on it ( like a clamp on from witt machine if it is not threaded ) and then see how it shoots. Magnum light weight rifles can **** all over themselves due to recoil and once you dampen that recoil you might find it shoots good. If it doesn't shorten the barrel to have a compact feather weight 270 WSM ( may shoot better after being cut )

Then if I still didn't like the way it shoots I would just hold on to it until someone makes a 7mm PRC and then rebarrel it.

If I didn't want to wait I would rebarrel to a 7 WSM, 300 PRC, or a 300 WSM. Can't go wrong with any of those cartridges other then they will beat the hell out of you on a feather weight rifle and you will wish you just got another 270 WSM or 6.5 PRC barrel for it. That or put standard barrel that's threaded on it so it is heavier or can have a muzzle brake installed.

I have a 270 WSM in a winchester featherlite I bought it new right when they came out with WSM line it never shot good & had feeding issues so I have long since moved on from this rifle. I got thinking I might as well build something off this action so I am looking for some ideas on what cartridge to go with I'd prefer to go with something that has good availability of quality off the shelf ammo wouldn't want to go smaller than .243 or bigger than 30 cal. I already have a 6.5 PRC so it's out of the running

7mmsaum.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.