Help me pick a 308!

I have read many bad reviews about Christensen, I was also interested in it, but just too many issues for me to shell out that kind of money and send back, on the other hand I see mostly good for the sig, definitely rated as top pick in many reviews, I would go sig but I want one so maybe I'm a little biased.
Really? That Sig Cross rolled out the gate with all kinds of problems and a caliber that never came to fruition, 277 Fury.

I'll never forget Springfield Armory for screwing over all the Illinois FFLs with their Benedict Arnold turncoat tactics that lead to the Illinois Gun Dealer's Licensing Act, but their waypoint looks spot on.

BFD, I'm with you on feelings towards actions in Illinos ( born in Hinsdale), But I like ther 1911's alot and I have the waypoint in 308 sitting 4ft. from me get'n a scope mounted to it, to break it in Sunday. I'm think'n (Hoping) she'll be a great shooter and very light to handle too. If the op isn't in a hurry to buy this weekend...... I'll let ya'll kno how things go on this one early evening Sunday. Hope this will help out. Scott

BFD, I'm with you on feelings towards actions in Illinos ( born in Hinsdale), But I like ther 1911's alot and I have the waypoint in 308 sitting 4ft. from me get'n a scope mounted to it, to break it in Sunday. I'm think'n (Hoping) she'll be a great shooter and very light to handle too. If the op isn't in a hurry to buy this weekend...... I'll let ya'll kno how things go on this one early evening Sunday. Hope this will help out. Scott
A review would be great, I nerd out about things so get as details with info as you want. I'd also be curious about weight with the scope (as well as scope make/model).
I have a friend with a sig cross in both 308 and a 6.5. He says the 6.5 is good, trigger isn't bad sub moa (3/4"@100) and the 308 hasn't been shot yet.

With the way the supply chain has been hardly anything is in stock. My local gun store could get a total of 7 different models of 308s the other day from their distributors (none that have even been mentioned on here). Which is why I've had time to think and think, and overthink and turn to the many opinions on here.

MB... I feel yur pain, I had first thought going full custom for a few bucks more if needed,but with no body having any parts avalible at the same time or close to it....... I just resorted to a factory. I did consider a Sig too, but I really wanted a traditional styling and feeling rifle as opposed to a chassis style rifle, got a few already of those too. I had to wait to find one and I it did @ BUDS GUNS. Once I got the 308, A 6mm became aval. but it was ok fine as a 308, b'cuz I again already got 6mm too. I will do as good as review as possible for you guys considering a Waypoint,BTW,First out box its sweet....Smooth Bolt and very light to swing. AS fot my touches go, I pulled the Radial muzzle break off and replaced with a 3 port a side and 3 port on top (think Savage) which I prefer and open top holes as nessassary per caliber. I have been doing this for quite a few years and have my version of how to tame recoil and muzzle rise with this type of Break. AS for Scope choice.... I pic'd a Bushnell 5-20x44 Nitro grey in color and seems as if it will match the camo with grey in it real nice. Thats all I got so far. Plan to do you folks justice and spend day with it and run several different choices thru it and get a couple pics for all to see. Have a great evening guys and girls (if any are out ther // Haha) ......next up Sunday MidAM TTYthen Scott

Someone mentioned extra suppressor wear, I'm not that concerned about that. I have the sico Chimera which is belt fed 308 rated, also why it's so darn heavy.

I was figuring on staying in the 125-150gr weight class. I have other guns that fit the "bigger/more gun" category. I had a tikka that shot great but it just was kinda basic and I didn't love it. The stock was cheap feeling and didn't fit like I wanted it to. I don't shoot competition, just hunting and for fun so 3-5 shots is fine, range isn't that critical, I figure 3-400yds max (reality being 85% will be under 125yds) I do want it to be lighter, that 6.5lb range is nice, I have a SWFA ultra light 3-10 that's under 10 oz.
With the 135 gr there might be a boat-tail for extra bc? Sierra used too make them, but discontinued them. 16" doesn't do the cartridge justice! 18-22 is a good choice! I have neither of those manufacturers guns or have shot them! I do have 3 savage 110s that shoot well with factory ammo! I can only offer barrel length choice.

just a comment on the christiansens..a friend just got one in 28 nosler for elk hunting.
its a fine 2 shot rifle, sometimes the 3rd aint too bad...but not a 5 shot rifle

Here's another thought I came up with this morning. A lot of people have cited the loss in velocity with short barrels. I suppose one way to overcome that would be to shoot those absolute hammer bullets. I realize they will go even faster out of a long barrel but if it makes a 16" barrel with an absolute hammer go the same speed as a 24" barrel with a normal bullet that could be a way to overcome the loss

why shoot a 16" 308 ??
try a 30/30, and 7.62x39
a full case and no bbl length, means poor burn
short bbl guys with full size cases have me lost
i'll go away
I have Several 30/30s already, they are great, one is suppressed and it's fun. But I can't shoot pointy bullets in a 3030 and a 7.62x39 bullets are a different diameter, plus who wants to reload those and brass is much harder to find since most people just shoot steel case in that caliber. A 300 blackout is too anemic for my tastes, so that leaves a 308 on the short list for (mostly available) 30 cal cartridges in a short barrel

I have Several 30/30s already, they are great, one is suppressed and it's fun. But I can't shoot pointy bullets in a 3030 and a 7.62x39 bullets are a different diameter, plus who wants to reload those and brass is much harder to find since most people just shoot steel case in that caliber. A 300 blackout is too anemic for my tastes, so that leaves a 308 on the short list for (mostly available) 30 cal cartridges in a short barrel
hornaday makes tipped/pointed bullets for tube fed.
most american 7..62x39's are 308, typically you can shoot either bullet if you work up a load.
tyr a 30br( 6br necked uo to 30)

Here's another thought I came up with this morning. A lot of people have cited the loss in velocity with short barrels. I suppose one way to overcome that would be to shoot those absolute hammer bullets. I realize they will go even faster out of a long barrel but if it makes a 16" barrel with an absolute hammer go the same speed as a 24" barrel with a normal bullet that could be a way to overcome the loss
I shoot a Barnes TTSX 130 at 3085 FPS out of a 18" 308. See my earlier post. You have numerous options available with lighter weight bullets. That 130 Barnes will carry 1800 FPS out to about 600 yards.

Last edited:
what powder and how much to get 3085 ???
See my prior post #23. If I seat the bullet out further I could get even more powder in. Max load from Barnes load data is 49.5 AA2460. I had no pressure signs at all at 49. You need to run faster burning powder with a short barrel and especially with the lighter weight bullet also. Barnes showed 3250 speed at 49.5 with a 24" barrel so I'm very pleased with 3085. Loss is about 27 FPS per inch of barrel.
1638660933494.jpeg
86C4C121-23CE-4094-97D6-6DD186E1B11A.jpeg

Last edited: