Help me pick a 308!

I sell both of the rifles in question here. I can tell you I have had more complaints about the Sig before and after the trigger recall. CA complaints more about the barrel heating up and stringing shots. If you buy a carbon barrel for general shooting it will get hot and strong your shots. Carbon is a insulator. It will hold the heat. Great for lightweight HUNTING rifles were you will take 1-3 shots. Sustained shooting is not what they are intended for. As for accuracy CA has been building rifles since 1995. 26 years of poor accuracy? Take Waveslayers option with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I sell both of the rifles in question here. I can tell you I have had more complaints about the Sig before and after the trigger recall. CA complaints more about the barrel heating up and stringing shots. If you buy a carbon barrel for general shooting it will get hot and strong your shots. Carbon is a insulator. It will hold the heat. Great for lightweight HUNTING rifles were you will take 1-3 shots. Sustained shooting is not what they are intended for. As for accuracy CA has been building rifles since 1995. 26 years of poor accuracy? Take Waveslayers option with a grain of salt.
What are the complaints you're getting about the Sig Cross?

Sticky bolt. Feed issues with with heavy for caliber bullets that fit in the magazine. Accuracy. My favorite "it gets to hot to handle". They all have their own issues. The trigger is not the best I've seen either. These are niche rifles. Meant to fill a small void left by all other styles.

I've built a savage before so I'm not opposed to that. I'm not crazy about the single shot idea though
the mag fed do not have the strength/quality of the single shot....ya dont need a mag to hunt with
i sold all of my mag fed savages....could not get the accuracy I WANTED out of them

This guy speaketh the barrel gospel.

yep no one in serious accuracy long range competition shoots a wrapped bbl. been tested, STRINGING was the result.
OK FOR A HUNTING RIFLE but must be tested in 1-3 shot groups..no 5's
my guess is the bigger the case the quicker the issue

yep no one in serious accuracy long range competition shoots a wrapped bbl. been tested, STRINGING was the result.
OK FOR A HUNTING RIFLE but must be tested in 1-3 shot groups..no 5's
my guess is the bigger the case the quicker the issue
Overbore in carbon barrels in the biggest problem of all. The thin steel liner gets hot quick enough. When you run a 300 RUM with 180gr it gets even hotter. To the touch the outside is cooler but the steel center is to hot to touch.

You might want to do more research on that before calling out guys and claiming fake news. Especially about their shooting experience or performance. I have a CA in 300 PRC, shoots like Sh!!. With Handloads, Match ammo etc.
Have another friend who had to get a new barrel after several attempts from CA , who rebarreled it for him. He had to get a reputable gunsmith to get a new barrel on it to solve the problem. It now shoots.
My Smith says the same thing, hit or miss and several of my Professional PRS buddy's
So I call Internet Ninja on you and do some more research. Glad you have had good luck, but yes CA has been known to be hit or miss. Glad you drank the Kool-aid
X 2!!!!! Got rid of mine!

Someone mentioned extra suppressor wear, I'm not that concerned about that. I have the sico Chimera which is belt fed 308 rated, also why it's so darn heavy.

I was figuring on staying in the 125-150gr weight class. I have other guns that fit the "bigger/more gun" category. I had a tikka that shot great but it just was kinda basic and I didn't love it. The stock was cheap feeling and didn't fit like I wanted it to. I don't shoot competition, just hunting and for fun so 3-5 shots is fine, range isn't that critical, I figure 3-400yds max (reality being 85% will be under 125yds) I do want it to be lighter, that 6.5lb range is nice, I have a SWFA ultra light 3-10 that's under 10 oz.

Not many 6.5 pound comp guns out there.
My Christensen barrel pressured up very fast. Had to load below start weights. Didn't string shots.

Cold steel in the morning or cool carbon-I kind of like the carbon.

I have a 20" barrel with a suppressor on it. I wish it was 12" with the 10" suppressor. Maybe opt for the one you can get shortest barrel on.

Someone mentioned extra suppressor wear, I'm not that concerned about that. I have the sico Chimera which is belt fed 308 rated, also why it's so darn heavy.

I was figuring on staying in the 125-150gr weight class. I have other guns that fit the "bigger/more gun" category. I had a tikka that shot great but it just was kinda basic and I didn't love it. The stock was cheap feeling and didn't fit like I wanted it to. I don't shoot competition, just hunting and for fun so 3-5 shots is fine, range isn't that critical, I figure 3-400yds max (reality being 85% will be under 125yds) I do want it to be lighter, that 6.5lb range is nice, I have a SWFA ultra light 3-10 that's under 10 oz.
With that can I wouldn't be worried as much about extra wear either but I'd still be worried about sound if going under 18". If memory serves thats the same dimensions as the omega so even with a 16" barrel you'll feel like you have a 22" barrel. 24" barrels aren't particularly unwieldy so I'd still feel good going 18"-20". If I were forced to pick btw the two I'd go Christensen just for the added barrel and the Sig being an unknown for me. Even if the Christensen happens to be "meh" 1.25 MOA groups will suffice for your needs

I have read many bad reviews about Christensen, I was also interested in it, but just too many issues for me to shell out that kind of money and send back, on the other hand I see mostly good for the sig, definitely rated as top pick in many reviews, I would go sig but I want one so maybe I'm a little biased.