Help me pick a 308!

i would not buy either, carbon fibre wrap on one short bbl on the other.
i built a 308 on a single shot SAVAGE( HEAVEN FORBID) and three shots at 300 measure just over 0.6,,,,yes it has a suppressor.
( savage single shot actions are ok..not custom, but better than factory, less than a benchrest rifle)

I own a Kimber Adirondack in 308. It's 7lbs fully dressed and highly packable/maneuverable. Also shoots sub moa all day long.

Love that little rifle.

Yeah I'm gonna go with neither. 308, like most any SA cartridge, is neutered in a 16" barrel and you already have your doubts about the CA. Not sure what suppressor you bought but if it's a small can it's not going to be pleasant on that 16" either. If you bought a gigantic can like the Hyperion it might be back down to tolerable but you are still losing a good deal of performance and putting more wear on your can.

I just finished building this 18" barreled 308. Did a load with 130 Barnes TTSX moving at 3085FPS. Shoots bug holes. That's a .750 straight tapered barrel. I really like how it handles and it's such a pleasure to shoot suppressed, using a YHM Resonator can. Thinking I can put a 150 grain load together that produces around 2800-2850FPS. Need to use faster burning powder in these short barreled rifles. Rifle scoped without the bipod is just over 7lbs with loaded magazine.

8A78BB0E-6FEA-494A-B58C-EA7DE6A231FE.jpeg
82312C9F-CB59-4CA4-B653-9425B9CC2F19.jpeg
47D54B67-C67A-40FE-AAFD-F8BB6308B39B.jpeg

I just finished building this 18" barreled 308. Did a load with 130 Barnes TTSX moving at 3085FPS. Shoots bug holes. That's a .750 straight tapered barrel. I really like how it handles and it's such a pleasure to shoot suppressed, using a YHM Resonator can. Thinking I can put a 150 grain load together that produces around 2800-2850FPS. Need to use faster burning powder in these short barreled rifles.

View attachment 316607View attachment 316608View attachment 316609
What does it weigh? Also which stock is that?

What does it weigh? Also which stock is that?
Just over 7lbs. Stock is a Grayboe Trekker and weighs 23 ounces and Grayboe DBM Hunter magazine. I can trim more weight when I get a lighter weight scope. Probably going to put a nice lighter weight lower power variable scope on it, maybe a 3-10 power or something similar. I found a 4 round magazine that's sits almost flush also, made by Ruger for their "Ranch rifle". Here's a updated picture and is right at 8lbs but that's a 32-33 ounce scope. Will be right at 7lbs when I change the scope.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I know in my Rem PSS 24" barrel I can get a 2820 fps with a 168 gr Berger, CC, or SMK. Nosler has some load data using a 165-168 getting to 2900 fps! I seem to recall Remington making their sporter 308 win with 24" barrel so that's probably what I'd look for.
Update: Sorry off topic from original post.

You might want to do more research on that before calling out guys and claiming fake news. Especially about their shooting experience or performance. I have a CA in 300 PRC, shoots like Sh!!. With Handloads, Match ammo etc.
Have another friend who had to get a new barrel after several attempts from CA , who rebarreled it for him. He had to get a reputable gunsmith to get a new barrel on it to solve the problem. It now shoots.
My Smith says the same thing, hit or miss and several of my Professional PRS buddy's
So I call Internet Ninja on you and do some more research. Glad you have had good luck, but yes CA has been known to be hit or miss. Glad you drank the Kool-aid
How much for the 300 PRC?