Help me make a decision...

using for hunting and shooting steel. I'd rather have a touch heavy rifle than a feather light one but I also don't want to drag a boat anchor around the mountains.
Man, you need more than one rifle. Get a nice lightweight rifle and put Leica or Swaro on it and don't look back. Then build a heavy target rifle and go with heavy tactical scope.

I've bought a Leica amplus 3.5-15x50, illum dot, sight unseen, based on feedback from some guys I know. It will sit on my 300 wsm chasing Sambar deer. Might be worth a look.
Frank

I spent the better part of a year making a similar decision... long story short, sold and traded a few items, to include a Mark 6 and bought Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 and ATACR 5-25x56. (too heavy for a multi-role rig, but fantastic scope on a target/tactical rig) For the multi-role rig, I considered and compared in person Zeiss, Swarovski, Leupold, Burris and Vortex. I've been a die-hard Leupold guy for decades, so I was bent that direction out of the gates. After looking at everything in detail, I'm stuck pretty hard on the NX8 (4-32x50), it seems to be the best balance of glass, knobs, weight (28oz), toughness and overall functionality of anything I put hands on. I have been using it regularly since I got it in May and just spent the past few days hunting in +/-0F temps and the knobs did great. The general conclusion I came to is when trying to balance everything and the kitchen sink into a multi-role hunting rifle, that rifle is probably going to weigh 8-9lbs...and if a guy is putting the time/effort/energy/dollars into a rifle that will perform well at 600+ yards...repeatable knobs are a must-have... Nightforce knobs are on another level compared to the others. For me, I was curious how much less scope the NX8 would be for approx $1500 smaller price tag than the ATACR... the biggest difference I have noticed is the 10oz lighter weight... I would buy another NX8 in a heartbeat. Best of luck in your search!!

I have some FFP scopes and I dont ever see myself hunting with a FFP at least not what I have looked through so far. I hunt on the lowest setting and rarely adjust power unless I have a long time (many many minutes) to take the shot. I dont like anything over 18x hunting. Everything you listed is out of my willingness to pay other than the Leupold. I have Leupold on all my current hunting what I will eat rifles. My only advice is I have missed opportunity because of too much magnification and not one time for not enough.
Well said, I too have missed close shots with too much minimum zoom. So something in the 3x zoom for 50 to 200 yds and then as a rule of thumb I like 1x zoom for every 100 yards after that. I've killed elk out in the 700 yard range and 7x to 8x is about right. Too much zoom could easily move you off sight of the target and you could miss the bullet trace/impact. It also makes follow up shots harder if you have to take one.
I personally like FFP for ranging (I've been stuck in a few situations were I couldn't use a rangefinder). But again this is totally up to what you like and use.
I also like the christmas tree reticles for long range where your turrets max out. FFP just works better when you're using multiple zoom settings. 1 mil is equal to 1 mil regardless of zoom.

Also avoid scopes that mix MILs and MOA. Like MIL hash reticle with MOA turrets. That was my first huge mistake when I was first getting into long range shooting.

I'd cross off the NX8 personally.

In my experience, the ZCO420 is head and shoulders better than Mk5 and ATACR. Only real downside to ZComp is weight and the shorter optic can be problematic if mounting on a long action without adjustable cheek piece.

I haven't had the March, so can't comment there from experience, but I've read a lot about poor eyebox, shallow DoF, poor performance on high mag, etc. I think the 4.5-28 High Master would be the March to get.
I've heard the same thing about the ZCO. It will be mounted on a Defiance GA Hunter with built in rail so I don't know how much "play" I'll have in the mounting position with the scope.

I never hear anyone mention Huskemaw in these scope discussions and I think that's a shame. I have two of the 5x20x50 and love them both, especially the dial-up capability which is spot on. They now offer a 4x16x44 for a lighter option even though the 5x20 comes in at only 26 Oz. I had a Ziess V-6 in 5x20, but sold it at a loss to get the second Huskemaw. Crosshair on the Ziess is just too heavy for accurate shooting at long range. My 2 cents.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me your input. I can understand the low end magnification, that's why my choices don't go past 4x, which is low enough for me. As far as FFP vs SFP, I have both and don't have a problem with either.

I'll let you all know what I end up choosing once the rifle is finished being built.

I've heard the same thing about the ZCO. It will be mounted on a Defiance GA Hunter with built in rail so I don't know how much "play" I'll have in the mounting position with the scope.
If you want some dimensions or pictures let me know. My 4-20 is currently on a short action with the ZCO branded APA 0.984" high rings, but I might be doing some scope swapping and also might pick up a taller mount for my 5-27. If I'm swapping things around anyways, I could throw it on a L/A (although mine has a full length rail) and/or put it in the taller mount for you to reference.

Let me know, and I'll see where I'm at to try and accommodate.

Also, I saw your comment regarding minimum magnification for close shots. Look at FoV spec instead of magnification. For example, the 4.5-28x52 March has a FoV of 29.1-ft on 4.5x. The Leupold Mk5 3.6-18 has a FoV of 28.3-ft on 3.6x. Good Luck!

If you want some dimensions or pictures let me know. My 4-20 is currently on a short action with the ZCO branded APA 0.984" high rings, but I might be doing some scope swapping and also might pick up a taller mount for my 5-27. If I'm swapping things around anyways, I could throw it on a L/A (although mine has a full length rail) and/or put it in the taller mount for you to reference.

Let me know, and I'll see where I'm at to try and accommodate.

Also, I saw your comment regarding minimum magnification for close shots. Look at FoV spec instead of magnification. For example, the 4.5-28x52 March has a FoV of 29.1-ft on 4.5x. The Leupold Mk5 3.6-18 has a FoV of 28.3-ft on 3.6x. Good Luck!
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate that.

I just started noticing the FOV on some of the scopes....you're correct, I need to look closer at that rather than magnification

Ive seen quite a few of those Leupold for sale lately.My M5 is great optics,5-25 model but very large.I would really like to look through the 3-18 sounds perfect.I like mils used for last 15+ years.Dont believe they make a 4-20 atacr.They make a 4-16,sounds real good.My March 3-24x52,is realisticly good to 20x,low pro turrets,light good ZS,and been on tough hunts and rough rig use 6-7 years on light 338 NM.ZC I bet is great but heaviest of bunch at 34 oz. The leupold has good turrets and ZS.Id like to view a new March.If your thinking ZC, then you should consider TT315M,27 oz.
They do make a 4-20x ATACR. X 50mm. I just bought one. It's cherry. F1 only option

I've heard good things about the new Trijicon Creedo and Tenmile scopes.
They're around 24-26 oz depending on which model you choose, I'm very tempted to try out a 4-16×50 but am also thinking hard about an LRHS2

So, has anyone tried a Maven RS.5?

I've been reading good things about them...the glass, turrets, and reliability are all getting very good reviews. Plus, the 4-24 is a great magnification range for me.