Help Me Make A Choice

bryceh12321

I am looking for a long range rifle (500-800 yards) for around 6-700$. So far I have heard that the Savage 10FCP-K is probably the best bang for my buck. I was also looking at a Rem 700 VarmintSPS Varmint.

Any other recommendations that might outperform the savage for about the same price?

I'm looking to use this rifle for target shooting and whitetail out to the ranges I mentioned. The 700$ is referring to the price for the rifle only.

Thanks fellas.

Last edited:
both decent rifles for the money, but (broken record... I know) the Tikka T3 is really a good buy. Savage, Rem 700, Tikka, Vangard, Howa... all good buys but of those, I lean towards Tikka.

I agree the Tikka is a good alternative every one I've shot with good ammo either handload or factory yeilded sub moa results. I've tried to make a case for the rem or savage but price and fit always lead me to the Tikka.

Do you guys know anything about the Howa/Axiom 1500 Varminter? Maybe how it would compare to the Tika T3 Varminter?

I think the Tikka is a slightly better rifle than the Howa... Seems the Axiom has lots of bells and whistles, kinda like Ruger does to it's mini-14's to make them look meaner. Just my humble opinion.

I think the Tikka is a slightly better rifle than the Howa... Seems the Axiom has lots of bells and whistles, kinda like Ruger does to it's mini-14's to make them look meaner. Just my humble opinion.

After posting this thread I soon found out how right you are. That Axiom just has the stock put in as a marketing ploy, and (from the reviews I seen) I can't tell you how terrible some of the groups are that gun produces.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.