Help me knock out a new build

You can rent the reamers. Don't know if that helps or not but I don't think you have to buy it. Contact Rich Sherman in here. His handle is elkaholic and he will be happy to help you however he can I do know that!

ive talk to Rich a could times, seems like a super nice guy! I love his idea on the Sherman shorts and tacticals but like I said it's so hard to get things into Canada. With the laws it's wild how expensive and time consuming it can be to just get the reamer here (so id have to purchase cause he couldn't rent that long), then dies and brass are near impossible to get across. Just not ethical. If he produces head stamped 270 ss brass I'll find a way to do it!

Looks like a nice action. I've never had one but it looks to have the same features I like that my defiance deviants have. You should do the 257 cal build and let us know how u get along with the 131 blackjacks. I've thought about building a 25-260 and trying the 131s. Ur build sounds interesting. Keep us up to speed if you go that route.

I can't wait to get it together! I'm extremely excited about it, and very pleased with the feel of it. I'm pretty excited to see what these 131's are all about. This build will be a bit different for me, my other two are on stocks and I'm thinking of going mpa chassis for this one. Here's the specs so far;

-curtis vector short action
-25 Creedmoor, 1:7 twist @26" medium Palma at smith
-Insite arms heathen brake (love this brake) at smith
-triggertech diamond trigger on its way
-alpha 25 creed srp
-blackjack 131's

Only thing I have left to decide is the stock/chassis. I currently have a Mcmillan a5 and a manners t5 which I love. But thinking I might try the mpa comp chassis this time.

Exactly the reason I didn't do a Sherman. I built one earlier based on the 270 Win. It's a great round. Problem for us here is sourcing brass. Reamer rental wasn't a problem when I did mine. Had the whole gun built in the states by Borden. A friend of mine built one also and getting the reamer up here was no problem. Maybe after the ITAR changes in March things will become easier for us.

I didn't realize ITAR was changing in March? Any ideas on what's changing?

ive talk to Rich a could times, seems like a super nice guy! I love his idea on the Sherman shorts and tacticals but like I said it's so hard to get things into Canada. With the laws it's wild how expensive and time consuming it can be to just get the reamer here (so id have to purchase cause he couldn't rent that long), then dies and brass are near impossible to get across. Just not *Rule 1 Violation*al. If he produces head stamped 270 ss brass I'll find a way to do it!

I can't wait to get it together! I'm extremely excited about it, and very pleased with the feel of it. I'm pretty excited to see what these 131's are all about. This build will be a bit different for me, my other two are on stocks and I'm thinking of going mpa chassis for this one. Here's the specs so far;

-curtis vector short action
-25 Creedmoor, 1:7 twist @26" medium Palma at smith
-Insite arms heathen brake (love this brake) at smith
-triggertech diamond trigger on its way
-alpha 25 creed srp
-blackjack 131's

Only thing I have left to decide is the stock/chassis. I currently have a Mcmillan a5 and a manners t5 which I love. But thinking I might try the mpa comp chassis this time.

Are you going to buy a reamer or do you have access to one? Also how much freebore are you planning on for the 131s? I'm curious as to how much freebore you can get with the 131s while maintaining mag length. I'd imagine the more usable case capacity the better haha

I have a Vector attached to some nice gear, and I am very happy with it. Matt, we have the same problem here in Australia, anything out of the box is super expensive and takes forever to get delivered and built.

My barrel is currently chambered in 6.5 Addiction (6.5x55 improved) and the performance with various projectiles is outstanding, but I'm torn because I throated the chamber to suit a 140 gr Berger hybrid in its optimal position, which is longer than magazine length. I load 130 gr Berger AR hybrids and 140 gr Woodleighs at magazine length and single feed 140 gr Begers and 150 gr SMKs, and that works well, but I'm talking myself into one of Rich's short action magnums - as long as I can shoot all my projectiles from a magazine. At this stage, I'm thinking a 6.5 SST. ADG brass will be available here this year, so that's a big plus.

DBE3AB8C-3E15-4C3D-BECA-A2EC5D8AE12A.jpeg

Are you going to buy a reamer or do you have access to one? Also how much freebore are you planning on for the 131s? I'm curious as to how much freebore you can get with the 131s while maintaining mag length. I'd imagine the more usable case capacity the better haha

My smith has a reamer for the 25 creed, he's running one in his comp gun. I'm suppose to call him tomorrow to go over everything tomorrow. I don't know what free bore he is running but he's feeding from a mag in his in a vector at 2950fps so should be pretty good!!

my brass and trigger should be here in a week, my barrel and bullets won't be here for 4-6 weeks.

I didn't realize ITAR was changing in March? Any ideas on what's changing?
Don't know all the details. But it should be easier for companies to ship to us. License is less $$ or don't need one? What I'm really hoping for is that we can possess parts in the U.S. as I only live 15 miles off the ND border. This is where the problem lies. Canada is ok with us possessing the parts but legally we can't possess them in the states. But that may be wishful thinking. But we should know soon. I know Hammer bullets is getting ready to be able to ship to Canada.

my smith ended up emailing me, he has the blackjack 25 creed reamer with .115 freebore. He is pushing them 131's at 2960fps my mistake, with a good amount of room to chase lands and stay in mag length! Can't wait to see how this build turns out!

I will continue to look into a feasible way to run a Sherman cartridge. That or love to hear ideas on a magnum 6.5, 7, or 30 cal on a short action successfully running in a mag system. Wouldn't mind setting up a second barrel for more of a longer range hunting platform

I have a vector and a gen 1 Zeus now. 6 creed on the vector, the Zeus is waiting for a 22 creed barrel. I currently have a bighorn origin in 22 creed proof barrel... probably my most accurate rifle and 22 creed is a stud cartridge.
Thinking I may buy a 6 BR barrel for the vector once my 6 creed is shot out.

25 creed would probably be a fun one too. I like all the creed offspring more than the parent cartridge

I have a vector and a gen 1 Zeus now. 6 creed on the vector, the Zeus is waiting for a 22 creed barrel. I currently have a bighorn origin in 22 creed proof barrel... probably my most accurate rifle and 22 creed is a stud cartridge.
Thinking I may buy a 6 BR barrel for the vector once my 6 creed is shot out.

25 creed would probably be a fun one too. I like all the creed offspring more than the parent cartridge

I know at some point I'll get a 22 creedmoor!
What's your thoughts on the vector to the Zeus? The bighorn tl3 was actually what I wanted but couldn't pass the deal

I got both used... the vector seems smoother but it has less mileage on the DLC. I like both, 60 degree bolt throw is nice, I really like them.
My vector is in a manners mini chassis, and the AICS mags don't work great, they go too far into the action and don't allow the bolt to cycle freely. The Zeus doesn't have that problem but I think it's because the Hawkins bottom metal is a better fit. The mini chassis does work with AW mags but they are a tight fit.

Would be focused more to the prs style. In Canada we don't have prs per say but it would be closer to that then f-class.
I'm worried that a 6br variant will cause me feeding issues and the dasher not offering me any more then the creed. I figured the 25 should give me more barrel life, better ballistics at the 700+. I haven't ruled out another 6 but I'm shocked how many people aim for a slower 6 when I have a creed already.

if it was only a medium action I would get a mag bolt and do up a saum or wsm of some flavour
The 6 Dasher will also give you better barrel life than the 6 Creed and they are a blast to shoot, crazy accurate and almost no recoil in the type of rifle your building. And its a 1000 yard cartridge all day long.

Last edited:
I'd love to try an Sherman cal but there is zero support here in Canada. The price to get everything up here (reamers, brass) is outrageous!!

i decided to try for the first barrel a 25 creed, my smith has done a couple with great success so I'll give it a whirl. I'm trying to figure out a way to get Sherman stuff up her for a second barrel
The SST is a magnum cartridge off of the SAUM case, you would need a magnum bolt. I have a 6 SST just about finished and can't wait to start load development.

Nothing wrong with the 25 Creed, 131s at 2950 look good. I don't have a magnum boltface, so that will be my next caliber for a lightweight carbon fiber hunting rifle barrel. The SST looks great and so does the 257 Blackjack, but I think the 25 Creed will be plenty for me.