Help me dicide on a new Encore barrel/cartridge

wm5l

I have 3 now. A 12" 454 Casull,a 15".223 and 7mm-08. I was looking at the 260 Rem in a 15" version. I kind of like the size of the .308 parent case. I already have a 6mm Remington rifle so a .243 would be like a duplicate to me. I kind of want to keep it a factory chambered round. Is the 260 rem a good choice for deer and large varmits? Waht is the accuracy like? I plan on shooting out to 300 yards when I get better. I know my 7mm-08 is most likely fine for this but I just want to try something new. Any suggestions welcomed. I will be hand loading for it whatever I wind up with......Jim

I have a softspot for any 6.5s, but the .260 sounds like what you're looking for.

Todd

260 Remington

Have nothing but good to say about the 260 remington for everything from rockchucks to caribou. Light recoil, many bullet choices for the reloader. Great design that should have been made commercial many decades ago.

The quality of the barrel determines accuracy.

Neal

I think the 260 Rem would make a dandy deer popper of a hand gun. I know it is in a rifle. You should be able to get a 120 gr. bullet going around 2600 - 2700 fps from a 15 inch barrel. I shoot the 6.5X55 Swede in a rifle and a 120 gr. Sierra that starts out at 2900 fps will drop a deer in it's tracks at 300 to 400 yards, I have not had the opportunity to shoot one any further away. If I ever move up from the Contender to the Encore the 260 Rem will be the first barrel in get.

I have 3 now. A 12" 454 Casull,a 15".223 and 7mm-08. I was looking at the 260 Rem in a 15" version. I kind of like the size of the .308 parent case. I already have a 6mm Remington rifle so a .243 would be like a duplicate to me. I kind of want to keep it a factory chambered round. Is the 260 rem a good choice for deer and large varmits? Waht is the accuracy like? I plan on shooting out to 300 yards when I get better. I know my 7mm-08 is most likely fine for this but I just want to try something new. Any suggestions welcomed. I will be hand loading for it whatever I wind up with......Jim
You could go up in caliber size, my MGM 338 Fed shoots really good out to 300yds, with 185 or 200gr bullets. I haven't taken it past that, but have killed several deer and a bear with it. It also has less felt recoil them my 7-08, both 15" barrels, with out brakes.

Since you will be hand loading I would look at the 308 Win. 338 Federal or the 358 Win. Go with what you feel is best for you. Factory ammo will be plentiful in the 308 of course. The other two would be a hand loading proposition as what factory ammo is out there that I've seen is pricey and 338 and 358 would be something different. Good luck in your choice.

I have both a .260and .308 barrel for my encore. Wouldn't part with either.

Contender and Encore parts have become expensive. I rember when every pawn shop you walked into had a display case full of them. Usually for less than $25.00, not so anymore. E.A.Brown has a lot of options. Similar to the old fox ridge.

357 maximum will probably be my next one. A 308win slinging 110-120gr would be a ball. 338 federal or 358 win would be plenty for elk. The 358 win contender a buddy owns is about all I want recoil wise, I think it's a 14" and kicks about like 454 cas. It'll knock the hell out of them though, finding soft enough bullets to get expansion has been an issue for him lately.
Won't see enough difference terminally or ballistically between the 260 and 7-08 for me to buy one if I had the other. But to each his own I've never met anyone with a 260 that didn't absolutely love it.
I've got a 15" 243win currently it slings 80gr Speer hot-cores with plenty of gusto to drop them out to 250yd.

Oh yeah! 15 yr revival!!!
IMG_6184.gif