Help me decide!!

newbiggame27

Hello,
Fairly new to this, I just recently purchased a savage 10t from cabelas. 24" barrel, 5r rifling, accu-trigger and stock. Supposed to be a real shooter. This is my first real shot, no pun intended, at anything more than deer hunting. I'm willing to spend 4-700 on a scope. Right now leaning towards vortex but can't decide which. This rifle will be used mostly for target, but also for elk. I don't reload so nothing with custom turrets please. TIA

Hello,
Fairly new to this, I just recently purchased a savage 10t from cabelas. 24" barrel, 5r rifling, accu-trigger and stock. Supposed to be a real shooter. This is my first real shot, no pun intended, at anything more than deer hunting. I'm willing to spend 4-700 on a scope. Right now leaning towards vortex but can't decide which. This rifle will be used mostly for target, but also for elk. I don't reload so nothing with custom turrets please. TIA

Are you looking for SFP or FFP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Found one I think might be right for me. I know it's too much scope for what I can do but this way I won't have to buy a better one later. Vortex PST-43127. It's a 6-24x50 ffp illuminated reticle ebr-2c. This way the hold offs are there for me. Any comments or other suggestions appreciated.

Found one I think might be right for me. I know it's too much scope for what I can do but this way I won't have to buy a better one later. Vortex PST-43127. It's a 6-24x50 ffp illuminated reticle ebr-2c. This way the hold offs are there for me. Any comments or other suggestions appreciated.

Please don't take this in a negative way....But have you experienced a FFP scope? The reason I ask this...if you are accustomed to SFP scopes...and your primary mission is paper punching...I'd stay with SFP. You are going to pay extra money for a FFP scope and then have to train your brain because it's different.......not too big of a deal but something you should be aware of.

And as far as the Vortex PST being "Too much scope".......I'd say that isn't true. Most guys, just starting out, will eventually want to extend their range and accuracy. The 6-24x has very repeatable and accurate turrets....to make precise shots at long range. IMHO, you want to purchase the highest quality optic that your budget allows for....when setting up your long range rig. Besides regular training with really good ammo....the scope can have a big impact on your accuracy.

The Vortex PST FFP 6-24X by 50mm is an excellent scope. I'm thinking they sell a pretty decent amount of them. I put one on a AR-15 that is set up to shoot heavier bullets. I've been switching my scopes over to FFP so that my sub tensions are always accurate no matter what magnification...with the turrets.

There are a lot of nice scopes out there....that would fit your budget. I'd even look in the used section of different forums. Most any of the big names would work....I especially think Sightron and Vortex do a nice job. I'll also throw this one out:

Minox - Camera Land NY

They have an open box BDC reticle, SFP....for $699.99. I have one of these scopes....and for the money, it has extremely clear, bright glass...edge to edge. It has very nice color resolution at high magnification....much better than other scopes in this price range....even my PST.

Best of luck

Sfp is all I've used.

Me too, for nearly 40 years, until last year. My last 2 purchases are FFPs, Burris Veracity 4-20x50 on my .270 AI and SWFA SS 5-25x50 on my .300 WSM. It didn't take me that long to get used to it and no problems transitioning from my rifles with SFPs and back. I am very pleased with them and wished I had them sooner.

SFP vs FFP boils down to personal preference and intended purpose.

Nah, it's not too much scope. I don't have hands on experience with that scope but I'm sure others that have will chime in. I have 2 scopes that have illuminated reticle but have not had the need to use them ... yet. :D

Before deciding on the SWFA above, I seriously considered Vortex's FFPs and NF's SHV (if it's FFP, I might have gone this route).

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

First, thanks for the replies and insight and please keep it coming. Yes, sfp is all I've used but I have not been shooting long and learn new things quickly. The only scope I own as of now is a redfield revolution 4-12x44 bdc. It's on another savage .308 model bth. It is used solely for hunting. Ffp seems intriguing for shooting past my comfort zone and like it would be easier for longer range shooting for a novice.

I have just recently acquired a FFP scope and it will probably be my last. Don't like the way it compresses the sub tensions of the reticle on the lower magnification or increases the thickness when dialed to a higher magnification. Just not useful for my likes.

I have just recently acquired a FFP scope and it will probably be my last. Don't like the way it compresses the sub tensions of the reticle on the lower magnification or increases the thickness when dialed to a higher magnification. Just not useful for my likes.

FFP scopes seem like a silly fad to me.

FFP scopes seem like a silly fad to me.

No, I don't think it's a fad.....Just a matter if picking the right tool for the job. For the most part SFP is nice and useful for what "We" typically use a scope for. But in certain situations...FFP is going to be the better choice.

Quite frankly.....I'm glad we have so many good choices these days. Think back two, three or four decades ago......and what scope options we had versus now. It really boils down to guys doing their homework and perhaps finding someone with a scope they are interested in. Pretty hard to make a 100% solid decision reading articles and threads on the Net.

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.