Help me decide which unit?

windwalker1

OK, I have looked at past threads, looked at reviews of various Garmins, and the specs for each.
I think I like the Montana unit with the larger screen and the ability to view it better in sunlight, but it seems that it has had issues with operations in the past? Has Garmin fixed this, everyone really recommends the Oregon units, but I noticed that they have a harder time reading them in the sunlight? Most everything I can find in the reviews is a year or more old, so I am wondering if there have been any improvements in some of the units. Is touch screen easier or in some way better than button or toggles?

So what I need help with is, Garmin Oregon or Montana? I want a rugged, accurate, large screen viewable in sunlight. Ease of use is mandatory for me, I am not any kind of tech guy, really prefer to just turn it on and know it is giving me accurate info.

Open to any and all advise and opinions
Thanks
Windwalker

I use Garmin GPS map 62s. It is recommended as best for the Xmaps hunting maps. It has longer battery life and better satellite tracking due to the extended antenna. Plus I'm a push the buttons kind of guy. :)

Also use the Rhino with the maps. If you are hunting with a partner I would consider the Rinos. You could have a man down and unresponsive and quite possibly be able to find them with a Rino...

Thanks for the info, I have friends that use the Rhino's and they really like them for the reason you mentioned. With the 62 how is it for viewing in bright daylight? After my 50th birthday, I discovered I no longer had bionic vision and was in need of glasses to navigate without doing myself and others damage! That was my thoughts with the largest screen I could get on a unit. I will also be using the xmap chips you mentioned, so the unit I get must be compatible.

I will go look again at the 62 and see how it compares screen wise.

Oh yea, where does the "Oregon trail end?

Windwalker

Ya know, I think I misspoke about battery life differences. Just looked at the Garmin site and compared the two. Seems that Montana can have longer battery life than the 62s!

Montana max with 3 AA batteries = 22 hours
62s max with 2 AA batteries = 20 hours

Seems they do it by being able to use 3 AA batteries instead of the rechargeable lithium battery pack. This is the way my Rhino works. By default it uses a lithium battery pack, but I can buy an adapter that allows me to use AA batteries instead. I tend to use the AA batteries as I can carry several AA batteries on extended wilderness trips where recharging is not practical.

If you like that larger screen on the Montana, I would get it. I am sure the screen would be brighter in full sunlight. For me the brightness of the 62s is fine. I mount it to the windshield of the truck and have no issues in bright light. But again, this is Oregon where to much sunlight is usually not a problem. Also, if you are worried about sunlight, you are probably not hunting in a jungle with a thick overhead canopy that obscure the satellite signals.

I purchased my 62s from REI, maybe three years ago now. They had all of them on display and powered up so you could try them out. I would try to find a store that did that before making the final decision. If not, go with your gut and get the Montana. Garmin GPS systems have always worked for me and Xmaps is like the best thing since sliced bread.

The end of the Oregon trail, is of all places, Oregon City, Oregon. :)

I appreciate your help!!! The first hunt with it will be in Sept, my wife drew an Elk tag here in Calif. and I will be using it to make sure I am looking in the right spots!!! Yep, bright sunlight... and with glasses, it sucks trying to see things on these screens like my cell phone. I do understand the external ant. being better, but I don't think that will be a problem for a while. They do make it a point to say in the spec's that the Montana's screen is sunlight viewable and that really caught my interest.

I may call onXmaps and see if the premium chip has any issues working in the Montana series.
I also like the AA option, spares are easy to pack. I have a Sportsmans in Redding and will try to get the folks to fire a couple up and let me have a look.

Thats a darn good place for the end of the Oregon Trail!!! I have a buddy out of Roseburg that lets me terrorize the animals on his property.... and I do!!!

Anyway again I say Thanks for your advise, and good hunting to ya!!
Windwalker

I have both and for ease of operation I prefer the Montana. I can use the touch screen with gloves on and the screen is much larger. I use mine for Geo Caching where I need to be directed to within feet of the cache. I have had no trouble with viewing the screen in full sunlight while using the Montana. I carry both when caching and use the 62 as a back up to the Montana.

That is awesome info sir. Thanks for replying. If I may, have you used your Montana with the onXmap chip installed? Again, thanks for sharing your experience, I think I am going to get the Montana 600t camo (yea cheesy), I do not need a camera in my unit.

Thanks
Windwalker

I don't have the chip so I''m not sure how it will work in the Montana. I have the 600 as I don't need the camera. It does a great job for caching and has brought me to within 1 foot of a cache. While caching we feel good if we get withing 20 feet of the cache and the Montana usually does a lot better than that.

Russ, thanks for sharing your experience. I went ahead and ordered the 600 instead of the 600t, and I will get the 24k maps download, and order the onX map here from Len and Andy. I will revisit this post and update with my experience. I am very thankful for this website, I have made inquiries for help on several different subjects and never failed to get quick, honest helpful opinions and advise....

Windwalker

Bought a Montana 650t recently and used it on a NZ hunt (I am an Aussie). Eyesight not what it used to be so the screen size was important. Easy to read in all conditions. It does prefer Lithium AA's over standard if you are unable to recharge the unit and they are not cheap. Have bought a mount to put it onto my motorbike as well to use off the beaten track. Good unit.

Windwalker1, I'll second the use of the premium batteries in your unit. They do last quite a while longer and have justified the cost on long hunts. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.