Help me decide which stock for my Savage

So the molded in color is extra correct? I have been looking at McMillan's website and it is a bit hard to determine what the final cost of the stock would be with the options that I want.
Do you prefer the molded in color over the paint?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

The molded in color was the standard offering and included in the base price. I prefer the molded in color since it won't wear off with use. The camo pattern/tactical style looks appropriate on the Mil specs. I went with the swirlled look on my Model 70. My buddy did the same with his Weatherby. Both look great. I do recommend getting a stippled or checkered forearm and grip, the molded in surface is very smooth and gets slippery when wet. My Winchester Supergrade came checkered as standard. the A5 was stippled. The a40 is smooth. You don't need to worry about this if you go with the paint.

The molded in color was the standard offering and included in the base price. I prefer the molded in color since it won't wear off with use. The camo pattern/tactical style looks appropriate on the Mil specs. I went with the swirlled look on my Model 70. My buddy did the same with his Weatherby. Both look great. I do recommend getting a stippled or checkered forearm and grip, the molded in surface is very smooth and gets slippery when wet. My Winchester Supergrade came checkered as standard. the A5 was stippled. The a40 is smooth. You don't need to worry about this if you go with the paint.

I see. How do you get the checkering done? Is that something that McMillan will do? How much did it cost to get that done if you don't mind my asking? I really like the looks of the swirled paint. And by swirled, I am assuming like the pics that trebark has of his 260 and 300 correct? And I need to ask him "How do you specify the paint scheme?" I see that in the specs of the rifle he has something like 50% brown with 30% black and 20% tan. (My numbers are probably off a little), but is that just something that you can specify with McMillan (by phone I am assuming)?? Looks really good though, and I really like the idea of being able to tell them what percentages of color to use on the stock.

Big thanks to trebark and Greyfox for all the help. I know my questions seem remedial, but you guys have helped me tons. Many thanks.

Steve

I see. How do you get the checkering done? Is that something that McMillan will do? How much did it cost to get that done if you don't mind my asking? I really like the looks of the swirled paint. And by swirled, I am assuming like the pics that trebark has of his 260 and 300 correct?
Checkering on the Mcmllan stocks was specific to a particular stock which the various models can be seen on the web site. In my case, the Winchester Super Grade Model. At the time I ordered, if a particular model wasn't molded with checkering, you had to order the stippled approach. This was the case with the A5 and 40A. Yes, Trbarks are swirled. You can pick color and % of three colors.

Checkering on the Mcmllan stocks was specific to a particular stock which the various models can be seen on the web site. In my case, the Winchester Super Grade Model. At the time I ordered, if a particular model wasn't molded with checkering, you had to order the stippled approach. This was the case with the A5 and 40A. Yes, Trbarks are swirled. You can pick color and % of three colors.

Ok, thanks Greyfox. I appreciate all of your help. I'm sure I will have to pick your brain again though.

Steve

My stocks were ordered by my gunsmith. You can order it yourself though. McMillan is a great company and would welcome your call and all your questions. You can get them on the phone and go over all the if-this, then-that scenarios and they can tell you about the pro's and con's of your decisions.

Here's another little tid-bit....swivel studs. Notice on my stocks that there is a swivel stud in the front (for the bipod to mount on) and there is NO swivel stud in the rear. This was done by design as a swivel stud in the rear will tear up your rearbag. As a result, my stocks have 'flush cups' on the left side (opposite the bolt) of the stock - both in the side of the forearm and the side of the buttstock. Carrying the rifle on its side is also advantageous as I like to leave my bipod on the gun. By carrying the gun on its side, the bipod does not dig into my back. Grovetec makes the best 'flush cups'...

GT™ Heavy Duty Push Button Swivel Set

GrovTec US, Inc.

I have a McMillan A5, on My Remy .300 WM. Excellent stock. However if you do the money saver the P-dog at stockade can be had with AI bottom metal for the same money as a run of the mill McMillan.

I order the P-dog for the savage. It I was doing a big $$$ build it would be another McMillan Stock, with a Stiller action, Krieger Barrel, Timney trigger etc etc.

I think the XLR would be cool in a uber cartridge like the .416/.408 type stuff or for lesser power a 6mm BR or 30BR

My A5 has adjustable cheek and LOP.

Going through the same dilema now about a stock for my Stevens build. I'm thinking either the HS non beaver tail or a manners T, T3 or T2. Can't make up my mind but would like to because of the lead times on the manners stocks.

anybody looked at the new Mcmillan Game scout for the savage? it has an A3 vertical grip with a sporter forearm. Should be a pretty sweet stock exactly what i am looking for. It can handle a #5 or rem varmint contour barrel. they will inlet it for a savage 110 blind mag. i dont know what else they will inlet it for a savage i only asked about the blind mag.

Going through the same dilema now about a stock for my Stevens build. I'm thinking either the HS non beaver tail or a manners T, T3 or T2. Can't make up my mind but would like to because of the lead times on the manners stocks.
I really dig the Manners. Not sure how useful the folding one would really be.

I have been going through the same thing. Yesterday I ordered the Manners t4 in OD green. They have been very helpful and have answered every question that I have had.

I have tried a bunch of them, though all for slightly different purposes.

For overall quality I would go with Manners, but there is nothing wrong with the McMillans at all.

Stockade builds a good stock too and the price is more than fair for their build quality. I wouldn't put it in league with a Manners or McMillan, but it is a far cry better than a B&C I think.

There are some good laminates out there too. Boyds makes a good, functional stock and their prefinished ones are not too shabby. If you get an unfinished one you can make it about as nice as the effort you put into it.

Tops in a laminate stock to me is anything Joel Russo makes, beautiful stocks, I don't own one but have handled a few and they are outstanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.