Help me decide what to do--rifle was stolen now to replace.

joshua99ta

well my sandero 7mm ultra mag was stolen last week while I was offshore. SO now I have to replace the rifle. I really loved my sandero... and I like the 7mm ultra mag so I'm probably going to stick w/ this caliber.

BUT what I can't decide is to just buy another sandero and do some stuff to it or should I look into somthing custom... BUT keep in mind I only have about $2500 to work with on the rifle itself, and I'll spend close to that on optics(I really want the Ziess Victory Diavari w/ the illuminated Z1000 reticle..eventhough it says it isnt offered I'm sure it can be gotten)... I kind of have to limit myself to about $5K.

I would LOVE to have the 40X w/ thumbhole stock but THIS IS A HUNTING RIFLE and the site says that its not an option w/ a 7mmRUM.

What ya guys think? Can I get a good customish rifle, preferably stainless for the looks) for around 2000-2500? Keep in mind I'm not gunna be doing any competition shooting. Or should I just get a Sandero and have some work done to it?

btw I have seen a custom rifle w/ carbon fiber barrel(or carbon wrapped whatever it is) w/ skeletonized 700 action in a 270 for 2300.... im just going by that rifle price wise. I want to talk to the guy that built it, but his shop was closed today

How did it get stolen? I know what that feels like. So many low life's in this decadent world. Do you have a guess who could of done it? Holy smokes $2500 for just the rifle ? Man I feel like saying the sky is the limit. Those carbon wrapped Barreled rifles are state of the art tech. Do a search on the web you could buy a complete rifle with a 28" barrel and a muzzle brake and a jewell trigger for that kind of money. They claim barrel life is increased because of heat resistance via the "Carbon wrapping" Numerous options await you.

well I talked to billy this evening. He said he can do me a 7mmRUM w/ a factory action and do the mods he does to them or I could go w/ a stiller(sp?) for about 3-400 more, and he uses shillen barrels and put a break on it, jewel triggers, and an hs stock I can't remember if it was a thumbhole or not but he said he had one at his shop. He said he could do this rifle for about 2K... which after I buy a $1150 sandero and put a trigger job and break on it ya looking @ 1600 right there... so why not go ahead and get the aftermarket barrel and modded action?

Check this web page. wwwABS barrels.com I hope that works. I just googled Carbon wrapped Rifle Barrels and a few placed popped up. that guy seems awfully high. Plus I heard you really want a cut rifled barrel and I don't think Shilliens are. Kind of cash you have to spend you have the right to be picky.

I built a full custom f class rifle for only $200-300 more than your budget. I would look into a custom action (stiller, BAT, surgeon, lawton). If you ever have to sell the rifle, the action will be worth a lot more than a trued remington. I would think you could spend $1600 on an action, jewell, and regular bottom metal. $400-500 on a barrel and chamber job. A mcmillan with the works shouldn't set up back more than $800-900 with the action bedded properly. A detachable box will add a lot of money. Just my few cents worth. Shop around and talk to some target shooters, they know were to get a good barreling for a little money. Find someone else reasonable and good to do the stock work.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.