Help Me Decide on Rifle Trade

Trade?

• Yes

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 50.0%

• Total voters
I recently bought a 700 SPS stainless 300WM off GunBroker, and the barrel was falsely advertised as being 26". To my disappointment when I picked it up from my FFL, I noticed it had a 24" barrel.

I have an opportunity this weekend to trade my buddy for his 700 BDL 300WM with a 26" barrel straight up. Both are early to mid 90s, mine is stainless his is not. The stock is not a consideration because I have a Stockys fiberglass sporter that it is going in. I am loading 215gr bullets for it.

What would you do, trade or no?
Not a whole lot of difference between SPS and BDL if both rifles are about the same condition, personally I would trade in a NY minute to get that extra 2" barrel length that would mean more to me than stainless vs blue but that's your decision.

I have a 24" barreled Remington Milspec 700 in 300WM. It happened to produce within 15FPS(2900FPS) velocity as my buddies 26" barreled 300WM, both running 215 Bergers, same load. I'm not saying this will always be the case but, even with an assumed +40 FPS, I'm not so sure that I would trade velocity against the stainless steel, and the unwieldy, longer 26" + muzzle braked barrel. Just my viewpoint.
What the hell go with whatever shots the best for you

My opinion is; I don't think the 2" difference in the barrel length will be that noticeable for a game hunter. A professional shooter might have a problem with it. As MagMan said, shoot it and see how you like it. Just make sure you give Gunbroker a 00 rating. They don't deserve even a 1.

FWIW. I get about 30 FPS difference in the exact same load with the 215 Berger from two different 300 WM. One was a 26" Rem 5R the other is a 24" Hart on a Ruger. Put the 50 FPS in a calculator and the difference is negligible.

Now if you want what you want, that is a different story all together. Get what makes you happy! I find myself leaning to lighter and shorter these days.

I go through guns because I get bored. I'm sure grandpa would slap the chit out of all of us for how we do this!

I would trade in a NY minute. To me, and only me speaking here.. The 2" extra on the barrel, being blued, being a BDL, and knowing that when I press the trigger the slug will have more barrel to use up more of the powder and go a bit faster would make all the difference to me. When I do need to rebarrel it, the 26" is one of the best next to the 28" barrels for the 300 win mag. I would also make sure the barrel had a 1:8" twist rather than the stock 1:10" twist. practical knowledge tells me that even the 200 grain slugs shoot like crap in the 1:10" twist barrels. Clients, friends, and my own three 300 W/M's never shoot under 2.5" with anything over a 190 grain slug. I Rebarreled a 300 W/M with a 1:8" twist; the 200 through 230 grain slugs shoot exceptionally well. I have lost all faith that 195 grain and higher slugs will ever shoot in a 1:10" twist barrel.

I would go stainless no question, barrels are plentiful and cheap on eBay. First and foremost I recommend you shoot it before you do anything the accuracy may make you feel better.

Your "buddy's" trying to trade for a reason.

I would keep the stainless. That's just my preference. The 2" difference means nothing to me, as the performance from the 24" would be adequate for my personal uses.

I recently bought a 700 SPS stainless 300WM off GunBroker, and the barrel was falsely advertised as being 26". To my disappointment when I picked it up from my FFL, I noticed it had a 24" barrel.

I have an opportunity this weekend to trade my buddy for his 700 BDL 300WM with a 26" barrel straight up. Both are early to mid 90s, mine is stainless his is not. The stock is not a consideration because I have a Stockys fiberglass sporter that it is going in. I am loading 215gr bullets for it.

I'd make sure the twist rate in his gun will work with your desire for 215gr. bullets. My factory 700 w/ 26" bbl 1:10 doesn't like anything over 190. 200 and 210 groups were horrible with testing. 190s shoot about .750" groups at 200 yards.

Seeing that the stainless is what you wanted I would not worry about the two inches of barrel length. Shoot it and see if it shoots good. If you don't like the way it shoots then you and your buddy can decide if you really wont to trade.

I have a 300 win mag barrel off of a 700 SPS with very low round count. I switched to a carbon barrel in 7mm rem mag

Attachments

• 20201024_210646.jpg
    20201024_210646.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • 20201024_210628.jpg
    20201024_210628.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
How does your current rifle shoot at 100 ,200 and 300 Yards???? Is it a 1 MOA Rifle right now?? Could it be with proper bedding , trigger and Hand loads??

Like you, I would prefer stainless and 26". The way I hunt, the stainless is worth a lot more to me than the 2" in this cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.