Help Me Decide on Rifle Trade

Trade?

• Yes

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 50.0%

• Total voters
I recently bought a 700 SPS stainless 300WM off GunBroker, and the barrel was falsely advertised as being 26". To my disappointment when I picked it up from my FFL, I noticed it had a 24" barrel.

I have an opportunity this weekend to trade my buddy for his 700 BDL 300WM with a 26" barrel straight up. Both are early to mid 90s, mine is stainless his is not. The stock is not a consideration because I have a Stockys fiberglass sporter that it is going in. I am loading 215gr bullets for it.

What would you do, trade or no?
It all boils down to you! How does your's shoot? How well do you like stainless? I understand your frustration but is 2" worth it? Good luck & let us know please.

You need to take your handloads and chronograph them through both rifles before making a decision like this. I've had shorter barrels run faster than longer with same load on occasion, been playing this game since 1986 and worked with more rifles/pistols than I can even remember . To me, if FPS is what you're after you can't possibly make the assumption the 26 will be faster than a 24, anyone who says otherwise does not have enough experience testing with their own rifles. Buy a chronograph for 80 bucks and begin testing.

I have a 24" barreled Remington Milspec 700 in 300WM. It happened to produce within 15FPS(2900FPS) velocity as my buddies 26" barreled 300WM, both running 215 Bergers, same load. I'm not saying this will always be the case but, even with an assumed +40 FPS, I'm not so sure that I would trade velocity against the stainless steel, and the unwieldy, longer 26" + muzzle braked barrel. Just my viewpoint.

I recently bought a 700 SPS stainless 300WM off GunBroker, and the barrel was falsely advertised as being 26". To my disappointment when I picked it up from my FFL, I noticed it had a 24" barrel.

I have an opportunity this weekend to trade my buddy for his 700 BDL 300WM with a 26" barrel straight up. Both are early to mid 90s, mine is stainless his is not. The stock is not a consideration because I have a Stockys fiberglass sporter that it is going in. I am loading 215gr bullets for it.

Yes. I would take a BDL over an SPS seven days a week plus you get your 26 inches. If you take care of a blued barrel, it will be fine. My 45 year old Remington 700 BDL 7mm mag has some scratches and has survived rain, snow and worse. I've kept the barrel in excellent condition, and it is a 0.5MOA shooter or better.
PS If you're really concerned about the barrel, cerakoting it is cheaper than buying a SS barrel

Surely other opinions certainly matter, however with that being said I strongly feel that this decision is yours to make.
Consider the to trade or not to trade issiues. How much are you really going to gain with an extra 2 "
PIONTS TO PONDER!
What is the overall condition of both barrels?
Did run a bore scope down your 24 "SS barrel and determine throat erosion and general barrel wear?
Does the bore show signs of any pitting or excessive copper fouling?
The overall appearance and functionality of both weapons.
Any stripped screw heads or over torqued screws?
Examine the stock for any signs of damage, then remove the action screws and again examine for signs of damage.
Remove bolt assembly from rifle and examine the bolt face in order to determine that said rifle was not fired with an excessive powder charge. (look for brass that has been imbedded into your bolt face).
Examine the firing pin assembly as well as the case extractors for excessive wear.
If all seems OK so far reassemble your firearm and if they are scoped please remove your scope and using a torque wrench apply the correct torque settings (with or without the use of blue threadlocker)
You don't know how many times the scope rings or bases have come loose before you start range time in earnest.
You are aware that lets say 180 Grain Horandy SST bullets have a muzzle velocity of over 3000 -3089 FPS
and even with as little as 100 rounds fired your bullets chamber throat has an +.003" erosion.

You have no way of knowing how many rounds that either weapon has fired, so please check your chamber and bore dimensions or at least borrow or otherwise obtain a good quality bore scope for just this reason.
If all is good so far and you decide to keep the one with the stainless steel barrel it 's now time to send some rounds down range.
However another alternative If you find something not to your liking than simply request a RMA form from Gun Broker and tell them it was advertised as a 26" barrel and is in reality a 24".
The way I see it your firearm was falsely advertised and providing you did not wait to long you are entitled to either an exchange or a refund
In closing if you really need that extra 50 -75 FPS then make the exchange with your buddy. If you decide against the swap you can always add a screw on ,or bolt on muzzle brake latter to make up that barrel length
Just be certain that this is the decision that you both agree upon before making the switch. That way there are no hard feelings .
In this manner you will still remain good friends !

You're pretty much rolling the dice here... question should be do you care more about stainless or 50-75fps? That marginal extra velocity doesn't really net you more than maybe 25yds more effective range or maybe a c'hair less wind drift, but it's not a lot.

Deciding factor should be which rifle has the features you want. I think the friend offering you the trade is smart, or at least has his priorities in the right place. For a rifle that will see a lot field use I'd definitely go with stainless over marginal velocity increase.

I prefer BDL and you need to know how many rounds already goes through your friend barrel.

I have had my Rem700 300wm since 1968 which I bought after returning from Vietnam. It started at 26". Shot it hunting and in shooting matches. After several hundred rounds the groups opened up. I had the receiver trued and tuned, barrel set back rechambering to spec. Recrowned the muzzle. Barrel 25". Groups went from 1.5" - 1/2". Factory blue finish. 10 years ago I had a new factory Sendero barrel 26" cut to 25", barrel centered perpendicular to the bore. Chamber cut to 215gr bullet. Muzzle crown 11degree and recessed 1/8th. Rifle shoots 3/8" at 100. Best at 1000 under 6" if I do everything right. Rebarrel will cost: Premium Barrel $500, install $350-500. Receicer tune/true $500. If you hunt mountain states for big game 24" works just find. I backpacker cover allot of ground. My rifle is heavy. My gear is heavy, My optics are heavy, My Primos tripod gets allot of use. I am 74 and just finished 10 days hiking 10 miles average every single day hunting for a buck deer. Saw over 100 does, 3 spikes. It's hunting. We didn't score. But Jameson/Beer made up for the downs. Lots of Ups. Do whatever makes you happy. I've dated allot of ugly ladies and married a beautiful one for 50+years. Go for it! SEMPER FEDELIS

I have two 300 WM with 24 inch barrels and they give me good velocity and accuracy but hell trade if you feel better about it. In regards to the gentleman who said you could make up for the 2 inches with RL 26 would you mind sharing some of those loads with me? I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

I have to ask. Why did you not file a claim with gun broker if the rifle was falsely advertised. And if you paid by credit card you could have stopped payment.

First before i did anything i would raise hell with gunbroker.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.