Help me decide on my next scope

I agree wholeheartedly what works for you may not work for me.:). Here in Wisconsin I shoot a lot of my deer running at 100 yards or so while doing drives or deer that have been kicked up by other hunters . So to me low power is 3 or 4 x. Out west I have shot deer and elk at 300+ yards and the last elk I shot was at 50 yards.

Out in the open at 50 yards I'm OK with the 5X, close timber is a different story. 4X is my absolute max at the low end in close timbers. My Veracity is 4-20 but it's on a rifle that has 30" barrel + MB rifle so that's out of the question for timber too. :cool:

Well, I think I have decided on the Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP. I went and compared it to the Nightforce SHV FFP at Cabela's and I didn't notice much of a difference in reticle visibility at the low end of magnification. So that, plus the fact that the Nightforce is 10oz heavier, and I found a sweet deal on a refurbished Viper for about 1/3 the cost of the Nightforce I cant really resist. The optical clarity of the Viper was about on par with my PST 6-24x50's, I didn't notice any clarity issues. Also, Travis at Vortex (super helpful guy, awesome service) confirmed that I can get the 1/2MOA turret swapped for a 1/4MOA turret for $75 if I don't like the 1/2MOA. I'm going to pick it up tonight if it is still available. I'm sure I've disappointed a few of you with my decision, but I did weigh out most of the options you guys threw out there, but this scope just seems like the right fit for me. Thanks for all the input guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.