Help me choose a stock!!

hvychev77

I'm taking my Remington sps 700 in 300 win mag and doing some work to it. I'm putting on a Krieger 26" varmint contour barrel and having the action trued. My issue now is that I'm torn between the H-S M24 stock and the McMillan A3 which the gunsmith will also bed for me. This will be a target and hunting rifle. I don't hunt out of stands much anymore and do 90% ground hunting....Which stock would choose and why? Thanks in advance. Cheers, hvychev

What's your budget? Are you looking to keep the rifle light and quick-handling? Or maybe weighted more like a Sendero? Traditional hunting style, or more of a tactical style? Giving us parameters will definitely help to narrow the field of recommendations for you.

I guess for the budget i'd like to stay below $600. As far as the desired style, I love the vertical grip of the Mcmillan, but i'm not sure if that's too "tactical" for a mostly hunting rifle. So, i found the HS Precision stocks, which looked a bit more traditional. So, in the end i'm just torn between the two..........Who has had experience with either?

Thanks,
hvychev77

I have used both styles on my Rem Milspec 300WM and 308. They are a McMillan A3/A5's or the OEM HS Precision, as supplied with the rifles. There is no difference in my accuracy at long range between either design from any position. For shooting prone, the Mcmillans are comfortable and have a great feel to them. The vertical grip aides with the hold in that position. For carrying, and shooting from all positions, which is the majority of my hunting, I prefer the HSP. I use this design on my 6.5x284's as well. Less bulk, and for me, better suited when a variety of shooting positions can be encountered. In the end, I think it comes down to personal preference.

I have found that shooting and golf have at least one thing in common: both are "mind games". To excel in either sport, your mind has to be taken out of the equation so that you can make the shot. You cannot be concerned or have any doubts about yourself or the ability of your equipment. To that end, choose the stock that 'fits' you best.

Both of my big rigs, a 338 Lapua Improved and a 300 RUM, wear tactical stocks. I could care less what they look like or whether others think they are traditional hunting stocks or not. I put up with the extra weight because they make me feel rock solid and completely locked up when I am on target. In my mind, I have complete confidence in my set up. This allows me to stop worrying about my equipment and myself and to focus only on the variables for calculating a firing solution and making the shot.

I also have a 6.5-06 AI hunting rig with a stock made of 90% carbon by Manners in a more traditional hunting style. While it is a great, medium weight hunting rifle, I do not feel quite as solid with it as I do with a tactical stock. This is what I have to sacrifice in order to realize some weight savings and quick handling abilities. My shooting distances are more limited because my 'lock up" just doesn't quite feel the same. Having said that, I still have no problem going out 800 - 1000 yds with this set up.

Choose the stock that fits you the best and everything else will fall into place.

Last edited:
Having both a McMillan A3 and a HS Precision 'sporter' in my collection, I would say that if your intended use is to hunt in the woods with it, I would go with the more traditional type stock as it is faster handling. The A3 would be very cumbersome in that situation.

I have the McMillan A3 Game Scout stock with edge fill on my 338 RUM hunting rifle. It's a hybrid style where the rear is the A3 and the forearm is smaller and rounded like a sporter stock. I have big hands and love the vertical A3 grip, but for a hunting rifle I do not like a blocky/heavy forearm. I have other rifles with all other styles of stocks and for my long range hunting rifle the Game Scout really fits how I hunt perfectly. It allows for faster handling up close while still maintaining some features that really help in shooting prone out to longer distances.

If you are looking for a great value , check out the Bell and Carlson medalist type 2 tactical stock.

I have a Manners T5A which is used mainly used for shooting prone position. I broke my wrist several years ago and the vertical grip feels better on my hand. Also I like the adjustable cheek piece. Have HS Precision stocks which I really like also. The HS stocks are good stocks,for that matter so are McMillan stocks and Manners. You need to try all the stocks you can and see which one fits and feels the best. It's like clothes and cars. The make a bunch of them, try them on and see which one you like the best. Good Luck with your choice.

I've had great luck with H.S Precision, McMillan and Manners and they are all great stocks. I may be out of line but what really made the stocks for me was a adjustable cheek piece on each one. Proper cheek weld made a huge difference in my long range shooting. A Kydex cheek piece worked great for me and most every gunsmith will install them for about $100 dollars.

Can't go wrong with either Manners or McMillan. It just comes down to the application of the shooter. A good cross between tactical and hunting is the PSW Rifleman stock.

I've had great luck with H.S Precision, McMillan and Manners and they are all great stocks. I may be out of line but what really made the stocks for me was a adjustable cheek piece on each one. Proper cheek weld made a huge difference in my long range shooting. A Kydex cheek piece worked great for me and most every gunsmith will install them for about $100 dollars.
There was a guy on Snipers Hide by the name of "StockDoc" that would put the adjustable cheek pieces like on Manners for around $150. He used the Terry Cross hardware and his work was really good. Buddy of mine had one done and you couldn't tell it from factory. To me the adjustable cheek pieces are worth the money.

I have an HS Precision on my M700 / #6 contour Krieger. This is a hunting rig and it works great. I think the model is 029, which is the Sendero stock without the palm swell. You can find this stock for probably less than $350 online. I have the recoil lug and front area of the action bedded and it holds sub .5 MOA accuracy consistently.

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.