Help me choose a bullet for elk hunting

I like all the negative comments on the SST. I had a friend who I had been on several of his hunts where he killed, 3 elk, 2 mule deer and a moose with 300 WM and 180 grain SST's. The moose was the closest at 100 yards and both bullets were complete pass thru with the moose standing broadside, it dropped right there. The other animals ranged from 175 yards to 400.

Edlx would be my choice. As long as your not pushing 3100++fps they work great. Close shot at high muzzle speeds they come apart more but still work. We have killed several with them, all at 600 yds and they work perfectly.

As said before don't over think it. Pick one and practice with it.

Range IS important when your questioning bullet choice. Reviews vary on the Berger bullets. Some die hards say they've had 100% success using them while others shutter thinking about the experience they've had using them. I'm in both camps. I've anchored game instantly with very little meat loss and lethal vital damage. I've also had major meat damage from very frangible bullet jacket separation. Either way, both scenarios anchored my target animal. That's my first and most important goal. Last thing I want is to chase an animal on a mountain side for miles. I think the post reading "use eldx for longer than 500 yards and a well constructed bullet for less" is good advice. I think well constructed bullets are a must regardless of range. Right bullet for the job is necessary.

So I got out and did one more test and the best group was. The 154 interbonds @3185 fps here's my 3 shot group
40D5E3C9-E548-46E7-A465-A7DEA8C9B3E7.jpeg

So I got out and did one more test and the best group was. The 154 interbonds @3185 fps here's my 3 shot group View attachment 200995
Looks like your work is complete. Some may say that the 154s lack enough weight for large elk. I still day range is going to be the ultimate factor. The 175-180 class bullets will certainly be more welcome at ranges beyond 500 yards on elk size game. Shot placement is of course #1 but pay attention to impact velocity also. My personal number for that is 2000 fps.

That 154 innerbond bullet has a decent BC(.525). Pushing it at 3185 shows that it's more than sufficient out well beyond 500 yards. In fact at 800 yards it's still offering over 2000 fps velocity and nearly 1400 ft lbs of impact energy. I personally think with the accuracy your achieving, you work is complete. I'd stick with that bullet.

So 4 years ago I built a custom 7mm for my elk gun and with elk season not far away and I'm trying to figure out what bullet to use my gun loves Hornady bullets sst,interbonds, ELD X I've been lucky enough to take elk with all 3 so of the 3 bullets what would you choose
Eldx 162 works great

I've taken 23 elk with Nosler Particians before Accubonds came out. I have shot them with 25-06, .270 and. 338 Win Mag. I went to a 180gr. Accubond in my 338 WinMag and have taken 9 elk between 80yds and 723yds with the 180gn Accubonds, never having to put an extra round into any of them.
For whatever reason, I get my best groups shooting my 338 with the 180's at 3318fps. The Accubond I took the elk at 723yds didn't expand much, as it missed hitting any bones but, it penetrated the lungs and ended up in the opposing front shoulder socket, bent at a 70 degree angle. I wouldn't shoot this load again at game at that distance. I've taken my last 5 elk, one with my 6.5 Creedmoor, one with my 300RUM custom long range rifle and three with my 7mmRemMag, which is what I will finish my hunting days with.
I shoot exclusively Accubonds in my 300RUM and 7mmRemMag, without any worries about whether they will drop the animal or not, because of their past performance.

So 4 years ago I built a custom 7mm for my elk gun and with elk season not far away and I'm trying to figure out what bullet to use my gun loves Hornady bullets sst,interbonds, ELD X I've been lucky enough to take elk with all 3 so of the 3 bullets what would you choose
I have successfully 160 gr. Bullets in my 7mm STW and 180 accubonds in my 300 wsm both are very effective

Stick with your Interbond. If you want to change bullets, the 160 or 175 gr Partition are both stellar performers in the 7 Rem Mag out to a max of 700 yards, but best if you keep it at 500 yards or less.
The 154 SST is better suited for deer and not elk. Jump up to the 162gr, or go to the ELDX. The 162 gr is good, but 175 gr is better for elk.

Stick with your Interbond. If you want to change bullets, the 160 or 175 gr Partition are both stellar performers in the 7 Rem Mag out to a max of 700 yards, but best if you keep it at 500 yards or less.
The 154 SST is better suited for deer and not elk. Jump up to the 162gr, or go to the ELDX. The 162 gr is good, but 175 gr is better for elk.
I had the same thought until I ran the numbers on that 154 interbond. Pretty impressive really at his velocities. The 162/175 eldx definitely will Trump those numbers but accuracy should mean alot also. Confidence is high when accuracy is excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.