Help me choose a bullet for elk hunting

Lab rat

So 4 years ago I built a custom 7mm for my elk gun and with elk season not far away and I'm trying to figure out what bullet to use my gun loves Hornady bullets sst,interbonds, ELD X I've been lucky enough to take elk with all 3 so of the 3 bullets what would you choose

Attachments

• IMG_0603.PNG
    IMG_0603.PNG
    708.5 KB · Views: 370
You've killed more elk than me. Big goose egg here. What one killed best in your experience? If they all were similar I'd choose the one my rifle liked best, even if just by a little bit. If they all shoot the same and kill the same I'd go with the cheapest one to get more practice in. Good luck in the coming season.

So 4 years ago I built a custom 7mm for my elk gun and with elk season not far away and I'm trying to figure out what bullet to use my gun loves Hornady bullets sst,interbonds, ELD X I've been lucky enough to take elk with all 3 so of the 3 bullets what would you choose

Don't complicate it unnecessarily, pick one and go with it.

Interbond.I have killed out to 500 yards on huge muleys and they always perform well.
I killed a 6x5 elk in 1977 with a Hornady Interlock 180 gr.He ran about 20 feet and fell.The bullet came apart with the copper shell expanded like a champ and the lead kept going to off shoulder,I still have both pieces.
Even though I had good results that time I have had better consistent results with bonded bullets like the Nosler Partition and as of about 5 years ago I switched to Nosler Accubonds.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

Sounds like you already have it figured out. All are good choices. I've experienced excellent results with Noslers Partition bullets on Elk. You never mentioned what range your shooting these Elk. The Partition isn't a LR bullet but I've made it work very well out to nearly 500 yards in the .284. Personally I've used the 160 but they also have a 175. For larger game from Elk up, I'd probably opt for the 175. Anything beyond 400-500 yards, I'd opt for the boat tail LR game bullets. Simply because they retain velocity and energy much better than the flat base type game bullet. Good luck and give those partitions a shot accuracy wise. They shot phenomenally well in my 7mm magnum.

What is the range you hunt at with that rifle? That would be the deciding factor for me.

If with that rifle you normally hunt timber, and occasionally take elk from openings with ranges up to 500-600 yards max, I would go interbond.

If with that rifle you are a ridgeline hunter like me, and spot your game anywhere from 500 yards to several miles and get to the most comfortable shooting location under 1,000 yards (depending on conditions) and take your shot, I would go for the eld-x.

The group I hunt with has an average range of 720ish yards on the last 12 elk we have taken. We have used Bergers mainly and they have been great. For my timber hunt gun, I have a 20" barreled .308 win loaded with a heavier constructed 165 grain bullet. That is probably why I have never had a bad experience with a berger that I occasianally hear about.

The right tool, for the right job!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.