Help me choose a .277 bullet... (.270 Win)

TSXs are awesome, but like the Partition and other premiums they are 75 cents a piece not 30.

Agreed, premiums are more costly! However, very few rounds are needed for, development, practice and hunting. The lesser bullets can be used for practice, etc. The vast majority of hunters will spend far more money on fuel to and from hunting trips, than money spent on hunting ammo! I don't run used tires or the cheapest "China Bomb" tires on my vehicle either! Jus Say'n! memtb

To add to the question a bit, why do the Sierra's not have the popularity that Barnes, Berger, Nosler and Hornady have?
Is this one of the "great product, lack of marketing" items? Or is there more to it than that?

This is only my opinion, formed 30 years ago, and perhaps Sierra Bullets have been substantially improved. But, a 300 grain .375 pushed at only around 2600 FPS muzzle velocity, completely disintegrating and failing to exit a spike mule deer on a broadside shot, began my disdain of Sierra Bullets for hunting! Shooting two more animals, with the same results finalized my opinion of them. When shot in a side by side comparison in a test median.....the "other" cup and core bullets did as expected/advertised, while the Sierra's completely fragmented! They may be much better now.....But, I "will" never attempt to prove nor disprove them!

I have a bullet that has performed flawlessly on all game for 25+ years.....I'll stick with it! memtb

To add to the question a bit, why do the Sierra's not have the popularity that Barnes, Berger, Nosler and Hornady have?
Is this one of the "great product, lack of marketing" items? Or is there more to it than that?
I had one Sierra bullet fragment, it was a 150 gr 30cal loaded by my Dad in 1965 (55 years ago). I shot a whitetail quartering on and it hit the heavy part of the shoulder blade. Bone & bullet fragments shredded the lungs, ripped through the diaphragm and vaporized the liver. For the next 4 decades I loaded 30 cal Sierras in 165 and 180 grain bullets and some 140 gr 270 WIN and 140 gr 7-08. Taken dozens of deer and several elk with Sierras and not a one failed to penetrate. One deer at about 70 yds took a 165 gr 30 cal on the onside shoulder and then the bullet blew through the far side shoulder and the exit hole evidenced a intact and well mushroomed bullet, BTW impact vet was probably 2750/2800 fps. The one spike I bagged was at 40 yards and he soaked up 4 full speed 165 gr 30 cal (two hours down the trail, was not stopping til he went down). All four bullets made it through ribs/lungs or neck and made nice exit holes. Sierras made for accurate loads, gave me decent velocity and put game down. Why are they not more popular? Maybe because they always stuck to accurate, non premium priced and effective bullets they just lost out to the marketed newer best thing. Now days Hornady SST & ELD-X ammo has proved accurate and effective for my hunting.

The straight 270 is one of the most popular ones in this area, 140 Bergers have been what most have moved to, seen my buddy taco a lot of elk with 130 hot cores and partition but after shooting the 140 Berger 10+ years ago and the 165 Matrix that's all that gets ran anymore although the 145 ELDX did well last season.

Mwkelso,
Became the owner of a mannlicher 20" 270 myself this year. First and only 270 Win. I'm choosing copper. I'm in the process of testing 130 gr Barnes and Hornady. I may even try some Barnes 110 gr. tsx, I've read they have quite a following with whitetail hunters. The 20" barrel hampering the velocity is my reasoning for using bullets on the lighter side.

The 110TTSX is a wonderful coyote, antelope and deer bullet in the 270 Cal's, I tend to kid those and 165 Matrix for elk hunting or longer ranges.

Barnes 129g LRX bullets may be unbeatable. Decent BC for long shots. I load my 270 Win with IMR4451 for cronod 3100fps. Sub 1 inch groups at 200 yards. Everything I have shot with it drops. I genrally go for the shoulder and it generally breaks both shoulders, and goes thru lungs and heart if the shot is low enough. Always exits. No tracking. Really a lot less damaged meat that you would think. Largest animal so far was a 400 pound Red Deer. As regards cost, see memtb's post above.

I know there are plenty of threads on here about Nosler, Berger, Hammer, etc., all of which are great bullets.
With this gun though, it is the one I shoot the most, hands down.
The longest shot on game it has and will ever see is 500yds on a deer, but more often 300yds or less. The occasional elk at the same range, no greater than 300yds.
Since I shoot this one so frequently, I would like to find a balance between a good bullet and a reasonable cost.
Speer Boat Tails? Partitions? Hot cores? Other options?

What do you guys think?
I have used Accubond long range in 140 grain with better results than Partitions, Hot cores, Ballistic silver tips, Accutip/SST's and Interlocks which all work fine. My current go to though, is a new, higher BC projectile in 140 grain from Sierra, their new Tipped Gamechanger. Barnes TTSX are also good, but more pricey and less frangible than the Accubond or Gamechanger.

I have been using .270 win BRNO, BSA and Tikka rifles since the 70's and the best projectile I have used on culling heavier animals like scrub bulls, camels and donkeys Was the 150 grain Norma tri clad nickel coated, soft steel Walled bonded to an antimony lead centre. If there are some lurking out there I am down to my last 100 and consider them the best that I have ever used for larger species at distance in all my rifles In comparison to all the modern .277 projectiles that I have used to date.

I know there are plenty of threads on here about Nosler, Berger, Hammer, etc., all of which are great bullets.
The longest shot on game it has and will ever see is 500yds on a deer, but more often 300yds or less. The occasional elk at the same range, no greater than 300yds.
Since I shoot this one so frequently, I would like to find a balance between a good bullet and a reasonable cost.

What do you guys think?
Hornady GMX

This is only my opinion, formed 30 years ago, and perhaps Sierra Bullets have been substantially improved. But, a 300 grain .375 pushed at only around 2600 FPS muzzle velocity, completely disintegrating and failing to exit a spike mule deer on a broadside shot, began my disdain of Sierra Bullets for hunting! Shooting two more animals, with the same results finalized my opinion of them. When shot in a side by side comparison in a test median.....the "other" cup and core bullets did as expected/advertised, while the Sierra's completely fragmented! They may be much better now.....But, I "will" never attempt to prove nor disprove them!

I have a bullet that has performed flawlessly on all game for 25+ years.....I'll stick with it! memtb
The soft point Gamekings are bombs that is true, but the HPBT Gamekings are the sturdiest C&C bullets I have used. I have only had 2 game bullets fail, a 165 Sierra soft point GK from a 300Bee on a North Carolina white tail and a 95 grain Nosler B-Tip from a .243 on a big MN buck. I recovered both animals. The NC deer got completely cut in half on a quartering away shot and the MN buck luckily layed down on his good lung after a blow up and 4 inches of penetration on a 15 foot broadside shot. I have probably killed as many deer with the 85 grain BTHP Sierra gameking in the 243 and 240Bee as any other bullet and have always had perfect performance. You don't need a premium, you just need the right C&C.

What do you guys think?
Mr. Nosler invented the partition to both stay together and expand. They have done this since I believe 1947! They are still the bullet that most wanna be bullets are compared to? Have had best accuracy with full power loads. Supposedly this helps expand the rear of the bullet allowing the best bullet to bore fit. I couldn't prove that one way or another. I just know that they are accurate and they bring down game right now!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.