Help me choose a .277 bullet... (.270 Win)

I've used my 270 more than any other rifle for similar hunting scenarios and distances, usually under 300 yards. Based on my experience I recommend the hornady interlock for a cost-effective, game-effective, very easy to find an accurate load solution. 130 flat base, 140 btsp, 150 flat base, doesn't matter, used them all, killed with them all, whatever your gun likes. I will say my preference is for the 130 as it seems to penetrate just as effectively as it's heavier counterparts, prints the smallest groups in my savage, and has given the most spectacular kills. Probably on the light side for elk though.

Last edited:
So my hunting rifle for several decades was / is a .270 Winchester - in a Remington 700 stainless mtn rifle because the 721 was too heavy. Every elk but one that I've killed was shot with this rifle and 130 grain bullets. Longest was 300 yards +- because just slinging lead to be shooting was wounding animals. Where I hunted then was wide open BIG country. Before I reloaded it was all Winchester factory ammo - and I still have targets showing that was a great load for my rifle. After getting started in reloading I tried many bullets on paper - some that I bot, others that friends gave me a few to try. Bottom line was I wanted some ammunition that I could kill elk with (and deer too) up to 300 yards, I didn't want to spend more time and money on powder (tried about 8 different kinds in different loads) and bullets (see above) and ended up loading a few hundred each of 130 grain partitions and accubonds. So that's my bottom line. As a P.S. last year I missed at 125 yards (bullet didn't matter, they were moving and my friends 300 magnum went off about 2 feet from my right ear taking my concentration away). Later we found them again and I shot one standing still at 465 with my heavy Bergara 6.5CM. The first picture shows my rifle where I shot from and the dead elk and the herd moving off. The dead elk is 305 yards away according to my GPS. The herd might look close but they are a long ways away! The second picture is the same country different hunt. This elk was about 200 yards, but shows the huge country which tempts people to shoot 'long range'. Hope you all are getting excited about the upcoming season - got to go shoot my bow now:)
InkedElk hunt 6_LI.jpg

Attachments

• Inkedelk shot Jan 2004_LI.jpg
    Inkedelk shot Jan 2004_LI.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
My 2 cents... I got a Rem 700 in .270 from my father in 1978. (He was a Jack O'Conner fan)
I started with factory loads and a shot some deer with 130gr Cor-Lokts and then read "too much" and became very enamored with "out west" hunting so got some Remington Bronze tips. I then started to handload in my early 20's and began testing different bullets (all with H4831 as that was the standard) My rifle loved 58gr of H4831 cci200 and Hornady 140gr BTSP. I shot a lot whitetails with that load and then the Nosler Ballistic tip "phenomena" grabbed me "gotta love marketing!" and my Rem loved the 140gr BT's. These were the early ones and boy they sure dropped the deer but boy did they make a mess... I finally shot the barrel out of that old .270 and resorted to my .25-06 for a few years. My father passed and it bothered me that I wasn't using that .270 in his memory and honor. I wanted it to look like the rifle he gave me so I finally found a 22" blued "take off" from a local gun-smith whom had removed it many many years ago. I had it installed by CHS precision (whom are great gun smiths) and it looked just like factory. I went to site it in with my old favorite loads of 4831 and 140 gr BT's Couldn't get it to group under 3 inches so tried the 140 Hornady BTSPs same deal tried 140 gr Sierra's (always an accurate bullet I go to when I want to see how really accurate a rifle can be or when I can't get something to shoot anything else A little tighter but not acceptable to me. Different powder charges, primers, brass, OAL adjustments just wasn't happening I then tried some 130gr Accubonds and that was it .5-.75" 100 yard groups So I learned a lesson myself (but that has been written many times over) is that the rifle/barrel will tell you what it wants! And my old .270 with it's 130 Accubonds will be going with me in Oct to Wyoming for my first Antelope hunt and my dad will be along also....

After several moves I have not been able to get back to reloading. Been hunting with a 270 WIN for around 20 years and have great success with HONDY 140SST, very accurate and effective bullet. Lately been using the FED 150 Fusion and very happy with it. Fusion has been accurate for me in 2 270's and 1 243. When I reloaded it was with 140gr Sierra GK, an accurate bullet and did the job. I have tried Nosler options but my rifles were not accurate with them. Any hunting bullet whether cup and core or bonded or partition will work, it's up to you just have to decide what kind of accuracy you like.

One other projectile of interest to the budget minded hunter seeking versatility of application would be the federal fusion line, now available as a handloading component. Much cheaper than most bonded core bullets, plenty good ballistic coefficient for the ranges you foresee shooting at, typically give excellent accuracy and perform as advertised, not too tough for fast kills on deer, not prone to shallow penetration and the concerns one would have with elk.

Definitely Nosler partitions. I've had a 100 Gr. Hornady interlock blow up on the shoulder of a whitetail out of my 257 Wby. Have never had a failure with partitions.
Nobody in their right mind would question the partition as a safe bet for hunting, but it is very pricey and the OP specified budget-friendliness as being important to them. Not arguing, just highlighting that the partition is not satisfying all the criteria.

I used the win power points for years at shorter ranges devastating performance dead right there nickle size entrance and softball size exit. I got a great deal on federal fusions so I bought 500 of them I like the 150 gr myself.

The Sierra HPBT Gameking fills the bill. Tough for a cup and core it ends up in that perfect magazine picture mushroom. Very accurate in the dozen or so 270s I have used them in (Wby, WSM, and Win). And reasonably priced. Until this years prices I would have said the 140 Accubonds, but they are nearly up to the Partition price now.

I know there are plenty of threads on here about Nosler, Berger, Hammer, etc., all of which are great bullets.
With this gun though, it is the one I shoot the most, hands down.
The longest shot on game it has and will ever see is 500yds on a deer, but more often 300yds or less. The occasional elk at the same range, no greater than 300yds.
Since I shoot this one so frequently, I would like to find a balance between a good bullet and a reasonable cost.
Speer Boat Tails? Partitions? Hot cores? Other options?

What do you guys think?

If primarily elk.....the 140 Barnes TSX. If for multiple species....the Barnes 130 TTSX! You would be well served with either one for all big game! While my daughter doesn't have a lot of kills.....the 140 TSX's have performed well for her. Her mother and I have been using Barnes exclusively since the early '90's, though in larger calibers.....from antelope/deer, elk, bear, moose and the occasional coyote! memtb

If primarily elk.....the 140 Barnes TSX. If for multiple species....the Barnes 130 TTSX! You would be well served with either one for all big game! While my daughter doesn't have a lot of kills.....the 140 TSX's have performed well for her. Her mother and I have been using Barnes exclusively since the early '90's, though in larger calibers.....from antelope/deer, elk, bear, moose and the occasional coyote! memtb
TSXs are awesome, but like the Partition and other premiums they are 75 cents a piece not 30.

I've heard a couple accounts of the SST fragging apart at close ranges. Has this ever happened to you?
Last year's elk was at 30 yards. The SST passed through the spine right behind the shoulder. Zero fragmentation, minimal expansion, fractured spinal cord, dropped like a load of bricks 🧱 . That round zings. This year, I will try Hornady's Precision Hunter. I started with Nosler Partition in the 80's, and it never failed. But I like to try new things this century.

To add to the question a bit, why do the Sierra's not have the popularity that Barnes, Berger, Nosler and Hornady have?
Is this one of the "great product, lack of marketing" items? Or is there more to it than that?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.